Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2021, 09:51 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Roadtrek Window Replacement

While rolling down the road about 50mph on a very dark night, about 9pm, we heard a loud bang as if something hit the top of our 2008 Roadktrek 210. Upon stopping to check, I found the upper middle window (above the windshield) on our RT was shattered. It was still in place so I applied packing tape to the inside, and the next morning when I had access to a ladder I taped the outside of the glass to hold things in place and keep the rain out. A nearby glass place informed me that they could replace it with laminate glass, but weren't able to cut tempered glass and would have to find a source to order a replacement piece (it's trapezoid shaped). Wasn't able to find any info/advice in the forum posts, and no glass available to fit mine from mobile life rv, or dkhardware. Did send an email to van life and waiting for a response.

Any suggestions? Preference is to replace with tempered glass, but I guess I may have to settle for laminate.

Still have no idea was caused the shattering - saw no rocks or debris coming at us, no feathers or other marks on the glass, and no trees overhead.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RT Window.JPG (144.6 KB, 18 views)
bwatters60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:46 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I would take them up on the laminate glass offer. Just an opinion.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:29 AM   #3
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=hbn7hj;132007]I would take them up on the laminate glass offer. Just an opinion.[/QUOTE

You might want to check with a street rod builder type shop as I think that windshields and side glass is cut down for chop top cars. What I have heard but never seen or confirmed is that they tape them off and use a sandblaster of some sort. You might get lucky.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:49 PM   #4
Bronze Member

I have a 2000 Pleasure Way Excel TD. My friend, who was driving in front of me, kicked up a rock and "BAM" broke the little window above the drivers side.

I was able to have a regular vehicle window place replace the window. He came to the house and made a template and had the glass cut. He then came back to install it. It wasn't perfect because the original glass had a bit of a curve to it but, it was good enough.

It lasted a few years before it started to leak. Then, I found an RV window place near Denver called "Resolution Glass". All they do is RVs. They were able to reseal the window and I am good to go now.
ballbraindogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:36 PM   #5
Gold Member

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I considered them all. Since this turned into a DIY project, I documented it as I've done with all my issues and upgrades. This helps me remember what I did for future reference! Since it's a little long and includes pictures, rather than write it up in a post, I'm attaching a PDF. Maybe this will help someone else. Thanks again to all for your suggestions. Bruce
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Class B Forum Update_Glass Replacement.pdf (529.1 KB, 14 views)
bwatters60 is offline   Reply With Quote