Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Roadtrek with Mud T/A's

Talked to a couple last weekend from Missouri driving an '08 Roadtrek 4x4 with BFG Mud Terrain tires on it. These tires are an open lugged pretty heavy duty mud tire, they are non-sipped and not really the tire you would expect to see on a high way driven van. The couple had bought the van new and had over 100k miles on the rig and only had to use the 4x4 one time for less than 1 mile. The Mud T/A's were the third set of tires they have bought and the gentleman said they were by far the best handling tires they have seen, including a set of Michelins they had prior to these.

I couldn't tell you if they had an IFS or straight axle on it. The rig didn't sit as tall as it would have if it had a straight axle so I assume IFS. I also assume it was a factory set up as the 4x4 stickers were in the same design as the " Roadtrek " stickers. That being said, the IFS is not that much more heavy duty than my 2 wheel drive Dodge and I never considered that tire for our rig until then. I have used both the Mud T/A and the A/T by BFG in the past but only on trucks, why I didn't consider the heavy duty Mud T/A for our 1 ton chassis is beyond me!

Are these tires over kill for our vans?
Has anyone used these tires?
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Roadtrek with Mud T/A's

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK49er
Talked to a couple last weekend from Missouri driving an '08 Roadtrek 4x4 with BFG Mud Terrain tires on it. These tires are an open lugged pretty heavy duty mud tire, they are non-sipped and not really the tire you would expect to see on a high way driven van. The couple had bought the van new and had over 100k miles on the rig and only had to use the 4x4 one time for less than 1 mile. The Mud T/A's were the third set of tires they have bought and the gentleman said they were by far the best handling tires they have seen, including a set of Michelins they had prior to these.

I couldn't tell you if they had an IFS or straight axle on it. The rig didn't sit as tall as it would have if it had a straight axle so I assume IFS. I also assume it was a factory set up as the 4x4 stickers were in the same design as the " Roadtrek " stickers. That being said, the IFS is not that much more heavy duty than my 2 wheel drive Dodge and I never considered that tire for our rig until then. I have used both the Mud T/A and the A/T by BFG in the past but only on trucks, why I didn't consider the heavy duty Mud T/A for our 1 ton chassis is beyond me!

Are these tires over kill for our vans?
Has anyone used these tires?
I was a little surprised by the reviews on Tire Rack. I expected them to be very downrated for highway handling and noise, but not really too bad. With that wide open, all the way across tread, I would expect a lot of noise and buzzing from them. The probably have very still sidewalls, which would make them feel good on a very heavy van. I wonder what the mileage was on the 4X4 with those tires? Both would very likely reduce mileage, but how much?

IIRC correctly, the 4 wheel drive Quigley that Roadtrek uses is IRS and only raises the van about 1".
booster is offline   Reply With Quote