Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2015, 09:48 PM   #281
Bronze Member

Default Re: Roadtrek Zion - Promaster based Class B Motorhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51

i have looked at the travato. if i got one it would be the 59k. however the engine genrator option is only available from roadtrek-but i do like the 59k.

that would be my second choice-but nevertheless 2nd choice.

i would not consider the 59g
Does the engine generator mean you are running the main 280 HP engine when you need the generator? I guess that is okay if you don't need the generator much, but isn't it a lot of wear on a very expensive engine if you use it a lot. If you didn't have a hook up would you run the engine all day just for the air conditioner? I'd also think it would use a lot more gas than normal generator.
skiMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:01 PM   #282
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiMore
Quote:

i have looked at the travato. if i got one it would be the 59k. however the engine genrator option is only available from roadtrek-but i do like the 59k.

that would be my second choice-but nevertheless 2nd choice.

i would not consider the 59g
Does the engine generator mean you are running the main 280 HP engine when you need the generator? I guess that is okay if you don't need the generator much, but isn't it a lot of wear on a very expensive engine if you use it a lot. If you didn't have a hook up would you run the engine all day just for the air conditioner? I'd also think it would use a lot more gas than normal generator.

it has been discussed many times before/ the roadtek engine generator is not a classic generator like an onan that pits out 120 volt AC. it is an extra 280 amp alternator which feeds an inverter. it does need at the least and idling engine as batteries feeding the inverter can only go so far.

the good thing is while driving this extra alternator is also fast charging the batteries running the air condtioner and never having to listen to the ONAN. however your observation is not incorrect
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:50 PM   #283
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostalli
Since you have yet to pay for this van you may want to consider a Travato. La Mesa RV has them advertised for $59k. Just thought I would throw that out there. I don't have a Travato but if I weren't building my own Promaster RV that's what I would buy.
Actually, they have a couple used (2014) ones for $59k. Here's a link: http://www.lamesarv.com/2014-Winnebago-TRAVATO-FTW70217
Their new 2015's are going for $67k, which is still a pretty good price.
I'm correct. Prices on the lot are different than online. I walked through a new one for $59k.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:05 AM   #284
Platinum Member

Anymore on the stain you mentioned?
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:19 AM   #285
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd

going back to the dealer tomorrow. roadtrek in canada was closed monday for holiday. although i originally thought it was a leak-where it is is practically imposible for that. it could have been some sealent or spray that hit it from inside-however at this point i just don't know. i will know more tomorrow.

however the biggest issue that i thought -the leather-is now a moot point. i will get a 2000 reduction in my bill roadtrek has assured me that the dealer can install the sliding screen when they get it.
i did not realize that winnebago was using the same supplier. i actually never thought about it.

i have owned other rv's. i realize glitches usually happen -except for Advanced Rv of course
Old 05-20-2015, 06:27 AM   #286
Platinum Member

If you don't mind, please let us know how it goes. RT generally has a reputation of making things right.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:04 PM   #287
Platinum Member

all zion issues resolved(or will be) to our satisfaction. orientation next thursday
Old 05-20-2015, 07:50 PM   #288
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
all zion issues resolved(or will be) to our satisfaction. orientation next thursday

Good to hear. I know we have some friends that just purchased about 6 weeks ago a new WInnebago Trend class C on a PM chassis and sure love the way the unit drives and rides. Plenty of power for the usage.
They traded a Sprinter based "B" in on it...

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:52 PM   #289
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd

going back to the dealer tomorrow. roadtrek in canada was closed monday for holiday. although i originally thought it was a leak-where it is is practically imposible for that. it could have been some sealent or spray that hit it from inside-however at this point i just don't know. i will know more tomorrow.

however the biggest issue that i thought -the leather-is now a moot point. i will get a 2000 reduction in my bill roadtrek has assured me that the dealer can install the sliding screen when they get it.
i did not realize that winnebago was using the same supplier. i actually never thought about it.

i have owned other rv's. i realize glitches usually happen -except for Advanced Rv of course
Wow. I imagine that you could get those sofas recovered for alot less - probably less than $1000. So you may end up ahead on this one.
Don't worry. Even ARV has glitches. They just don't seem to get publicized.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:24 AM   #290
Platinum Member

Bobojay-curious why your friends went bigger from a Sprinter B to a Trend. Any things they could do in the Sprinter, that they can't do now in the Trend?

Right now I have the Travato 59K as #1 choice and Zion as number two but mostly that is because I haven't seen a Zion in person.

The Trend and Navion were two possible choices if I decide a Class B is not large enough for me and a 85 lb dog.
tbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:39 AM   #291
Platinum Member

When we walked through the Trend at the Mpls Rv show, it was nice inside, but it looked way to high and wide to be on single wheels in the rear. They may drive fine, we haven't driven one, but I would think the wind would really do a number on it. Navion was nice.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:42 AM   #292
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman
Bobojay-curious why your friends went bigger from a Sprinter B to a Trend. Any things they could do in the Sprinter, that they can't do now in the Trend?

Right now I have the Travato 59K as #1 choice and Zion as number two but mostly that is because I haven't seen a Zion in person.

The Trend and Navion were two possible choices if I decide a Class B is not large enough for me and a 85 lb dog.
tbirdman, they were tired of dealing with MB on repairs to their transmission, no outcome after 3 long visits to the shop. The Travato was too small for their needs. The Trend is the same size height and length as the ERA they had. It's 14" wider in the coach, but still fits a regular parking space in width, 1 1/2 in length just like the 24' Sprinter.
He has installed Sumo Springs in the rear to help a bit with any sway. Thinking also about a Hellwig sway bar in conjunction with the Sumos, or just one or the other alone. Hasn't decided yet.

As a side note, he's found out that the tires Chrysler is using on the Promaster is a much better quality Continental Vanco than what comes on Sprinters. They actually have a 1 year road hazard from Continental, and are lasting much longer in service. He found this out when they had to replace one of the original tires that had an extra, free screw that Winnebago had installed at the factory. Conti covered it through Discount Tire....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:48 AM   #293
Platinum Member

What deals are people getting on the Zion? How much do they come off MSRP?
Old 05-24-2015, 12:05 PM   #294
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostalli
What deals are people getting on the Zion? How much do they come off MSRP?

Jostalli-i got 15 percent off of the MSRP when i ordered around feb 1.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:10 AM   #295
Platinum Member

I saw the Zion today. The bathroom was not as big as I had hope. Also the Zion seem to feel cramped inside like I feel most Sprinter RVs feel like. Definitely not overwhelmed by it IMHO. So for now I feel the Travato 59K followed by the Pleasureway Lexor and then the Zion are my preference in descending order of preference. I revisited the Pleasureway Lexor and it's nice, but not sure it's worth the price premium they command.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:20 AM   #296
Platinum Member

Quote:
I saw the Zion today. The bathroom was not as big as I had hope. Also the Zion seem to feel cramped inside like I feel most Sprinter RVs feel like. Definitely not overwhelmed by it IMHO. So for now I feel the Travato 59K followed by the Pleasureway Lexor and then the Zion are my preference in descending order of preference. I revisited the Pleasureway Lexor and it's nice, but not sure it's worth the price premium they command.

there was no way the zion could match the 59k bathroom. i got a zion and even i could see that without setting foot in 59k. pleasure way is famous for their bathrooms. based on bathroom zion was always going to be 3rd.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:57 AM   #297
Platinum Member

Gerrym51 - I felt the Zion bathroom was usable although not as spacious as the 59K. It just seem the Zion was not as spacious feeling as the Pleasureway or the Travato 59K. I do like the Zion's engine mounted generator. I wish that was an option for the Travato.

Good luck with your Zion. I'm still in "decision land"
Old 05-27-2015, 12:40 PM   #298
Platinum Member

Quote:
Gerrym51 - I felt the Zion bathroom was usable although not as spacious as the 59K. It just seem the Zion was not as spacious feeling as the Pleasureway or the Travato 59K. I do like the Zion's engine mounted generator. I wish that was an option for the Travato.

Good luck with your Zion. I'm still in "decision land"
thanks-good luck with whatever you get-the problem with B's-you have to make tradeoffs-my biggest was having to please the wife
Old 06-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #299
Platinum Member

Wincrasher- i got the zion -i have 1585 pounds of occc
Old 06-03-2015, 12:15 PM   #300
Bronze Member

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures. You got the cherry interior with leather this is the exact same package we will get in about a year from now when I retire... Pictures please!
rclemins is offline   Reply With Quote