Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #101
Gold Member

Default Re: Roadtrek Zion - Promaster based Class B Motorhome

The Travato 59G has been reported to have an OCCC between 1872 lbs to 2020 lbs. I have noticed that the capacities between the Travato, Zion, and Lexor seem to correlate with the tank sizes, but can't imagine a few gallons difference between them accounting for differing hundreds of pounds in carrying capacity. I have read reports from people wondering if the Travato interior is constructed of some sort of honeycomb panels giving them problems finding mounting points or studs to drill and anchor modifications. Perhaps Wincrasher can speak on the construction materials.
tmshih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:41 PM   #102
Platinum Member

how about passengers. the roadtrek figure includes 5 people. do the other 2 do that?
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:12 PM   #103
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
how about passengers. the roadtrek figure includes 5 people. do the other 2 do that?
OCCC does not include the driver or any passengers. Roadtrek OCCC of 1250 accounts for the unladen vehicle (includes fuel, oil and coolant) and propane. But nothing else.

UVW = Unladen vehicle Weight, which also includes fuel, oil and coolant
OCCC = GVWR - (UVW + Propane)

So all passengers, any options you add to the vehicle, and any cargo have to fit within your 1250.

Both vehicles start with the same GVWR of 9350, but the weight of how each manufacturer outfits the vehicle is apparently quite different. e.g.:
Lexor has vinyl flooring, Zion has what looks like hardwood
Lexor has 3-way propane ammonia absorption fridge, Zion has DC compressor fridge
Lexor has 2 6V flooded cell batteries, Zion has single large Northstar AGM-400 battery that weighs 131.2lbs alone
And so on.
rectalogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:18 PM   #104
Silver Member

So with the Zion we start with 1250 OCCC, subtract 577.68 for water (8.3lb per gallon) so we have 672.32

It looks like the Onan MicroLite 2.8 (I believe this is the Zion generator option) weighs 110lbs
http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/981-0506.pdf

Spare tire option I'm guessing is 70lbs based on http://www.ezee-lift.com/

I don't know how much the solar option weighs, but already we are down to 492.32lbs. If we have 2 people (say 165*2) then we are left with 162.32lbs for all cargo, pets, food, solar etc. This doesn't seem practical.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:12 PM   #105
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectalogic
Quote:
OCCC does not include the driver or any passengers. Roadtrek OCCC of 1250 accounts for the unladen vehicle (includes fuel, oil and coolant) and propane. But nothing else.

UVW = Unladen vehicle Weight, which also includes fuel, oil and coolant
OCCC = GVWR - (UVW + Propane)

So all passengers, any options you add to the vehicle, and any cargo have to fit within your 1250.

Both vehicles start with the same GVWR of 9350, but the weight of how each manufacturer outfits the vehicle is apparently quite different. e.g.:
Lexor has vinyl flooring, Zion has what looks like hardwood

Lexor has 3-way propane ammonia absorption fridge, Zion has DC compressor fridge
Lexor has 2 6V flooded cell batteries, Zion has single large Northstar AGM-400 battery that weighs 131.2lbs alone
And so on.
2 6volt batteries weigh 132 pounds. Having said that they are the same van. Although I don't really know a thousand pound difference between the 2 seems strange.

Either the roadtrek has more capacity then stated or the other 2 have somewhat less. again it is the same van. i'm sure construction materials make a difference could it make entire difference-i just am not knowledgable about construction materials to know
Old 02-26-2015, 07:47 PM   #106
Silver Member

Quote:
Having said that they are the same van. Although I don't really know a thousand pound difference between the 2 seems strange.
The van is the same, but how the manufacturers upfit them is not, resulting in a very different UVW. For example the Travato ProMaster 59G has an OCCC of 2020lbs and tanks 21/15/11=390lbs. So remaining capacity of 1630 for passengers, cargo and options (and generator is standard, so it's weight is already accounted for).

There is a lot of variation between manufacturers building on the same base van. The Zion just seems to really be cutting it dangerously close.

OCCC 2020 - 390 water = 1630 Travato 59G
OCCC 1680 - 506 water = 1174 Lexor
OCCC 1250 - 577.68 water = 672.32 Zion
Old 02-26-2015, 07:57 PM   #107
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Having said that they are the same van. Although I don't really know a thousand pound difference between the 2 seems strange.
The van is the same, but how the manufacturers upfit them is not, resulting in a very different UVW. For example the Travato ProMaster 59G has an OCCC of 2020lbs and tanks 21/15/11=390lbs. So remaining capacity of 1630 for passengers, cargo and options (and generator is standard, so it's weight is already accounted for).

There is a lot of variation between manufacturers building on the same base van. The Zion just seems to really be cutting it dangerously close.

OCCC 2020 - 390 water = 1630 Travato 59G
OCCC 1680 - 506 water = 1174 Lexor
OCCC 1250 - 577.68 water = 672.32 Zion

where is the lexor occc listed. i cannot find it

also where is the Travato occc located.

you find reviews stating it-you find wincrashers picture of a tag that says a number but implies something else.

i want to see the occc actually posted on either pleasure ways or winnebagos website or actually listed on one of their brochures-seems odd that only roadtrek seems to put it on their own material
Old 02-26-2015, 09:00 PM   #108
Gold Member

Promaster Lexor OCCC of 1678 lbs was posted to this forum by skodr writing about his new lexor under "lexor promaster in driveway"
Old 02-26-2015, 09:14 PM   #109
Silver Member

Quote:
where is the lexor occc listed. i cannot find it

also where is the Travato occc located.
Lexor OCCC was emailed to me by Grant Walters at PleasureWay - I asked because I could not find it on their website. Travato OCCC I got from a photo of the sticker:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fusea ... 825628.cfm

In general I think the manufacturers don't make it easy to find this info - I'm surprised (and happy) that Roadtrek is so up front about OCCC. We still don't know the weight of any of the options for any of these vehicles (well, the Lexor has no available options).
Old 02-26-2015, 09:29 PM   #110
Gold Member

I suspect that the OCCC ratings frequently change because of constant modifications being made. I found a sticker rating of 1950 lbs for a 2015 Travato with the bumper trim matching the body paint I viewed at a recent RV show in Springfield MA. James from FitRV reported an OCCC of 1872 lbs for the Flame Red 2015 model including the ladder, bike and kayak racks that he recently posted a video review for.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:47 PM   #111
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmshih
I suspect that the OCCC ratings frequently change because of constant modifications being made.
I think the OCCC on the sticker is based on the vehicle weighed when it came off the assembly line - so it accounts for any options you had factory installed (the OCCC is reduced by their weight).

The OCCC the manufacturer gives you "pre-sales" is of the vehicle with all standard options. So to compute the real OCCC your vehicle will arrive with, you need to know the additional weight of each option you want installed and reduce it by that amount.

And yes, it could also change over time if the manufacturer changes a component out or makes an option standard etc.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:56 PM   #112
Platinum Member

Do you know what each actually used their calculation. I don't understand such a large difference. Is the figure put on a sold vehicle actually weighed
Old 02-26-2015, 10:23 PM   #113
Silver Member

Quote:
Do you know what each actually used their calculation. I don't understand such a large difference. Is the figure put on a sold vehicle actually weighed
The OCCC on a sticker on a sold vehicle is based on the vehicle weighed as it came off the line with all the options you had factory installed.

The OCCC on a manufacturers website or given to you pre-sales is for the vehicle with all standard options. So you need to subtract the weight of any options you plan to add from that value to get the real OCCC it will ship with.

So the Zion OCCC is 1250 and most people will add some options. The Lexor OCCC is 1680 and there are no options. So basically it seems like the final OCCC for the Zion could only get worse.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:26 PM   #114
Gold Member

It will probably be rare for you to drive around with Fresh/Gray/Black tanks all full. Most people leave home with the Fresh tank half full figuring it will be easy to find water to fill it completely at their destination. Similarly, you will probably dump your waste tanks before traveling to avoid the weight penalty on mileage and performance. The one situation where this does not apply is if you go for a long boondocking trip.

So 1250 lbs should be manageable, but I'd carefully weigh how many options you bolt onto your unit.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #115
Platinum Member

I think we'll have to wait until someone posts the sticker info and options included in the build from a Zion to get a better idea. I can't help but think the 1250 is an across-the-board estimate at this point.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:17 PM   #116
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
I think we'll have to wait until someone posts the sticker info and options included in the build from a Zion to get a better idea. I can't help but think the 1250 is an across-the-board estimate at this point.
Mark- the 1250 does not bother me. However in general the manufacturers us similiar componnts(i said similiar). since i am not an expert on construction

particle board(or whatever each manufacturer uses). i don't know. however although i will accept that the Zion has less occc than the other 2 it's hard to see as how it can be such a large diffrence.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:31 PM   #117
Platinum Member

Maybe I should have said under-estimate. Meaning that I wouldn't be surprised to see greater OCCC on some Zion stickers.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #118
Silver Member

Roadtrek sales@roadtrek.com finally got back to me about the Zion. They confirmed the 1250 OCCC is correct and that adding available options will use an additional 250lbs. So resulting OCCC would be 1000, and full tanks are 577 leaving 423 useable cargo capacity for passengers and cargo.

They said they expect most owners will only drive with empty tanks due to this.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #119
Platinum Member

Quote:
Roadtrek sales@roadtrek.com finally got back to me about the Zion. They confirmed the 1250 OCCC is correct and that adding available options will use an additional 250lbs. So resulting OCCC would be 1000, and full tanks are 577 leaving 423 useable cargo capacity for passengers and cargo.

They said they expect most owners will only drive with empty tanks due to this.

I'll dump our 2 cats

or maybe the wife will dump me and take the 2 cats

based on what we are planning with full tanks we will be close to max

good thing i did not get the onan
Old 03-04-2015, 08:34 PM   #120
Platinum Member

we'll this stinks. roadtrek has changed the tank sizes. gray has been increased to 23.5 gallons from 20 but black has been DECREASED to 9.6 from 19. RED ALERT captain.Bombs away-i had to add that lol-still not happy about tank changes