Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2015, 10:01 PM   #161
Bronze Member

Default Re: Roadtrek Zion - Promaster based Class B Motorhome

I've been looking into this too. I think the permanent bathroom is exactly the same in the Zion as in the other Roadtrek models.

I just drove 50 miles one way today to see the Travato twin bed version. Turns out the salesman didn't know the difference between the 59G and the 59K!!! Said someone had told him the 59G was the twin bed version - sigh.

I'm hoping to actually see a Zion a week from today. No ETA on the 59K.

Just to reiterate - I haven't seen either the 59K or the Zion yet so i can't speak to the finish of either. Here are some of my (maybe mistaken) observations from my research.

On the plus side: The Travato 59K bathroom looks to be a wonderful size and great use of space. It also has some nice items in the base price which are extra in the Zion or not availabe: LED ceiling lights, maybe a microwave/convection oven (it was hard to tell if this is the case or not but this is not available with Zion - just microwave), coach stereo with AM/FM radio, 22" HDTV, CD/DVD payer, outside speaker, cold water filtration (not available with Zion), tinted windows (not available), more airbags, rear camera, 2 coach batteries (Zion has only 1) plus very nice winterizing "faucets" easily accessible. Also all pipes seem to be inside the vehicle.

On the minus side the Travato 59K fresh water tank is 1/3 smaller than the Zion. Gray tank is also smaller. Black tank is a little larger. The 59K does not have a spare tire. The 59K coach warranty is 1 year, Zion is 5 years (chassis is provided by the manufacturer). Propane tank is 1 Gal smaller in the 59K. The 59K does not have an inverter.

The 59K has ample storage under both beds. I can't tell if the Zion has that also.

I like the idea of the 59K ability to set the hardness of the beds.

And last but not least - I think the Zion is at least $15K more than the Zion although I haven't seen any actual quotes.

The Winnebago dealer (SF Bay area) tried to sell me the one bed version for $45K which is a VERY good deal. He was stunned when I didn't take it. But I don't want to spend years traveling in a van I don't like - am I crazy?

That's all I can think of for the moment. The above are things that I think may be important to me. I'm a little hampered because I have never owned an RV - I've only been tent camping. So I can only guess at what will actually be important to me and what not.
bkroczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:33 PM   #162
Platinum Member

the zion with all the options li listed was 85,600. was what i paid

the single battery is the Northstar sms agm tppl battery. it is 186 amps with a reserve capacity of 400 minutes. i have reasearched it and this battery is the equivelent of about 215 12 volt amps. it is equal to the 2 batteries in the 59k

it is a specialty battery

http://buy.northstarbattery.com/p/sms-agm-400-battery

all lights in zion LED space under the beds all storage-except wheel well. the zions inverter(2000 watts) would not reliably handle a convection microwave. the onan would. If you've never had an onan generator you should make them run it-it is like a machine gun lawnmower sound-something to keep in mind i/ve been in all roadtreks-the zions bathroom in around is the biggest-some are wider and narrower. as roadtreks go it is good-it does not equal the 59k's however

I will say this-if the amount of price difference is something that will eat at you(it does this to some people) go with the 59K.

the zion was the best for us.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:38 PM   #163
Platinum Member

Wow, that Travato for $45k is a smokin' deal.

They are asking $65.9k for my old van on the lot right now - it will probably go for $60k in the end. Not bad for 1 year old that was $70k new.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:52 PM   #164
Bronze Member

Thanks Gerry. That's great information re: the Zion. Did you get the under-the-hood engine generator? I believe they're much quieter.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:59 PM   #165
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkroczak
Thanks Gerry. That's great information re: the Zion. Did you get the under-the-hood engine generator? I believe they're much quieter.

yes-
Old 04-18-2015, 11:18 PM   #166
Bronze Member

Where is the spare tire located in the Zion?
Old 04-18-2015, 11:28 PM   #167
Platinum Member

Quote:
Where is the spare tire located in the Zion?

if you get the engine generator it's under the van in it's original location if you get the onan it;s on the rear tire carrier like the 190
Old 04-18-2015, 11:32 PM   #168
Bronze Member

Ah - thanks!
Old 04-18-2015, 11:38 PM   #169
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ah - thanks!

undervan tire
Old 04-18-2015, 11:46 PM   #170
Bronze Member

Thanks again!
Old 04-19-2015, 01:21 AM   #171
Platinum Member

Why does Roadtrek insist on calling the under the hood second alternator an engine generator? The alternator produces DC power to charge the batteries. A generator under the traditional lexicon like Onan produces AC current. I just find their terminology confusing and maybe misleading and over promising. Am I wrong?
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:37 AM   #172
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Why does Roadtrek insist on calling the under the hood second alternator an engine generator? The alternator produces DC power to charge the batteries. A generator under the traditional lexicon like Onan produces AC current. I just find their terminology confusing and maybe misleading and over promising. Am I wrong?
Nearly all the factory service manuals I have seen call the stock factory alternator a generator. An alternator is a style of generator, and a generator is not necessarily an alternator.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:48 AM   #173
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
I agree....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:59 AM   #174
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
Quote:
Nearly all the factory service manuals I have seen call the stock factory alternator a generator. An alternator is a style of generator, and a generator is not necessarily an alternator.
Is it misleading to imply it is a direct substitute for an Onan generator but could be used in situations otherwise? What got me to thinking about this is there are campgrounds that expressly say no generator and I am hearing talk about them being quieter which is true but should be banned in those campgrounds none the less as a running engine is just as obnoxious. I was especially thinking about this in Chiso Basin CG in Big Bend NP where I was surrounded by tent campers. You certainly could not turn your engine on to brew coffee to get AC current and have your headlights blaring into someone's tent.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:24 AM   #175
Platinum Member

since i ordered it and have read many querys from people who have no idea. Basically it;s easier to explain to a newbie.

Roadtreks choice is to call it engine generator or undergood generator system employing a second high amp alternator combined with special wiring,large inverter,extra batteries.

as the customers eye's glaze over-lol

i have tried several times to explain this to the wife-her eyes glaze over every time-lol

in europe it appears alternators are called generators-hey i know the difference
Old 04-19-2015, 06:04 AM   #176
Platinum Member

Was the $45K for a 2014 model? Used or new. If used how many miles. Dealers name please.
tbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:43 PM   #177
Bronze Member

Please email me at bkroczak at gmail dot com.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #178
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
Quote:
Is it misleading to imply it is a direct substitute for an Onan generator but could be used in situations otherwise? What got me to thinking about this is there are campgrounds that expressly say no generator and I am hearing talk about them being quieter which is true but should be banned in those campgrounds none the less as a running engine is just as obnoxious. I was especially thinking about this in Chiso Basin CG in Big Bend NP where I was surrounded by tent campers. You certainly could not turn your engine on to brew coffee to get AC current and have your headlights blaring into someone's tent.
I don't think it is all that far off calling it a substitute for an Onan, as it will do most of the same things. The exception would be coach air conditioning if your inverter isn't large enough, but if the engine is running you have dash air anyway. You might run into areas where leaving a vehicle idling in illegal, but probably not in a generator allowed campground, more on the street.

I don't think anyone should look at an engine generator, or big alternator, as a way to get around generator rules, as it is just rude to do, and violating the spirit of the rules and the atmosphere. It is very much more of a gain over an Onan when you are out and around, as you can start the van and have power instantly most anywhere, and even a lot of no idling rules allow a few minutes, which would cover the micro. On our Chevy, you can kill the DRL so you wouldn't have light going into other campsites.

I think about 25% of the campgrounds we stayed in on our fall trip had added "no idling to charge battery" rules to the no generator areas, so I think soon most will have that and remove the question of if it is OK or not.

Now if we could just get the folks that feel obligated to start the noisy diesel pickup and drive the one block to the bathroom 5 times a day to stay put.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #179
Bronze Member

Please send me email at bkroczak at gmail dot com
Old 04-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #180
Bronze Member

Yes it was brand new. I assume zero miles. I didnt' get close enough to check.