Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2021, 06:52 PM   #1

Default roof window seals

has anybody had success finding new rubber seals for the roof windows on a Roadtrek dodge 190. mine are all cracked and the previous owner smeared caulking all over them. I would like to remove the clamshell frames and replace the rubber seal between the glass and the exterior frame. I would also like to change the cracked seals around the vent grills at the rear A/C.
any knowledge from your experiences would be helpful.
thanks all
sailertim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:55 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Try your local glass shop?
Want a B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 03:34 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Steele Rubber Products is a great source

get a piece of your seal, cut in in cross section ( or use a clean factory-cut end) and match the profile with the samples

installing flat glass into a seal is easy using string and grease- youtube

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:47 AM   #4

Default rear grill rubber

thanks, this looks like a good source
Old 02-01-2021, 08:49 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailertim View Post
thanks, this looks like a good source
Please post if you if what you found works for the window seals. It is common the seals need replacing as they shrink.
Bert M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:40 PM   #6

Try this guys name is Chris 949-596-7329 he is here in California lake Forest
hbroadtrek2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:42 PM   #7

RV Window - Pelland Enterprises
I use them for a lot of my window on my 2002 Explorer XL w is looking for remote workers
wmorrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:02 PM   #8

take a look at - www.pellandent.com 800-216-2786 they have a sample kit that you can buy and compare with what is on your windows. the problem with trying to match up just by looking a shape/form in a picture is that there are a lot of different seals that look the same and since with time the seal shrink, what looks like a fit, doesn't and you are out the $. With the kit, you get 5 different pieces that you can try and see what fits and then order the right one. I am in the process of a complete re-do of my window. I took out the glass, resealed to the frame and in the next few days applying the new seals.
chewyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:57 PM   #9

In my case I purchased the 3M brand (08612) 3/8" butyl ribbon seal in 15' lengths and re-sealed my windows. I also got these from Amazon: the 3M adhesive remover (08987) to clean surfaces on glass frame and vehicle body: prepped with 3M primer 08681 (use a few daubbers from Home Depot); you may need 8" suction cup handles and a buddy for removal/install.
krgracia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:13 PM   #10

I think we might be talking about 2 different things- I was thinking the question was how to reseal the outside "glazing". But yes, I am also using the 3M butyl/foam core seal for between the window frame and the fiberglass topper. I actually haven't remounted the windows yet- still working on the repainting, re-siliconing window to frame and then the new glazing on the outside.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:25 PM   #11
Bronze Member

I resealed my 3 Roadtrek windows a few years ago. Briefly, I peeled off the outside rubber and unscrewed the inside around the rim. I then went around the outside with a 1.5 inch putty knife under the window edge to break the seal. The windows then came off (push from inside with a buddy on the outside). After cleaning all surfaces, I used butyl ribbon (available at RV stores) to reseal it. When tightening down the screws on the inside, don't do it too tight or you may squeeze the butyl too thin and cause a leak. Trim any butyl ribbon that has squeezed out and test leakage with a hose.

The outside rubber liner should not be caulked. From age and sun these shrink and crack. Steele Rubber Products mentioned earlier probably has new rubber liners, but I wouldn't know which rubber to order.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:10 PM   #12

Hi Brian,
Yep- that's what I did also except I am replacing the outside rubber (glazing) it had already been caulked multiple times before and I decided that it was time to put on new glazing. I just tested the new glazing from Pelland and just as is instructed on their site, I soaked the new glazing in hot water for a few minutes and it went on nicely! I'm pleased- it looks nice.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:26 PM   #13
Silver Member

I used our local glass shop to repair and replace rubber around window. Cheap and good no leak repair.
Bobow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:26 AM   #14

I tried the local glass shop where I live but they weren't interested. I might have been able to get it done at one of the RV shops but didn't want to pay those prices!
Old 02-05-2021, 06:42 AM   #15
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewyblue View Post
Hi Brian,
Yep- that's what I did also except I am replacing the outside rubber (glazing) it had already been caulked multiple times before and I decided that it was time to put on new glazing. I just tested the new glazing from Pelland and just as is instructed on their site, I soaked the new glazing in hot water for a few minutes and it went on nicely! I'm pleased- it looks nice.
What was the part number for your Pelland glazing?
Old 02-05-2021, 06:00 PM   #16

Default window glazing for 1994 roadtrek windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert M View Post
What was the part number for your Pelland glazing?
I attached a pic of the 5 piece sample kit from Pelland. The # for the particular piece (not for the sample kit) that fits the windows- KRV08523. window glazing1.jpg

windowglazing2.jpg

windowglazing3.jpg

Not sure if these pics will be visible

Debra
Old 02-05-2021, 09:32 PM   #17
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewyblue View Post
I attached a pic of the 5 piece sample kit from Pelland. The # for the particular piece (not for the sample kit) that fits the windows- KRV08523. Attachment 11110

Attachment 11111

Attachment 11112

Not sure if these pics will be visible

Debra
Thanks Debra for the info and pictures. I think I and others will be using this information.
Old 02-06-2021, 01:21 AM   #18

I sent for samples from steelerubber. I’ll keep you posted.