Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2020, 12:03 PM   #1

Default Rope Lighting. Myth?

We have a 2020 ProMaster 21' Travato 59K. New to this size campervan and ready to explore. My question is this: Is there truth that using LED rope lighting around the perimeter keeps the mice, chipmunks, squirrels, etc from going under the van? Where we park, the van is covered, but the critters are abundant. We've seen people doing this and have heard it deters. But is it just ambient lighting? Thoughts? And thanks
Fred & Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

throw mothballs under the van when parked

ok to put some under the hood, just remember they are there

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:31 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum Fred and Ruby!

Don't know about the "lighting" critter deterrent, but it sounds very iffy.

It's a tough time to be getting out, but it can be done. Start small with short trips and familiarize yourself with the vans systems. Enjoy your new rig!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:25 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The lights under the vehicles is to keep away the pack rats which apparently like to live under/in vehicles and eat wiring from all I have heard. The don't like having light around all the time, it is said.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:14 AM   #5
Lou
Platinum Member

Just make sure that you can handle the smell! We took the scented advice of using dryer sheets and I was the one driven away until we managed to retrieve them all!
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:15 AM   #6
Platinum Member

They are not neighbor-friendly.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:02 AM   #7
Platinum Member

When I parked in AZ I had them as a pack rat deterrent. I would drape a few feet in the engine compartment, too. All I can say is that I never had a rodent problem but my neighbor across the way did...twice. I also had a next door neighbor with a cat that was an excellent mouser. Many folks in the neighborhood would leave their engine compartment lids open at night to make that area less cozy for the rats. I was thinking going to HF with a 20% off coupon and buying a string although rodents aren't a problem here in ID.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:43 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I purchased an under hood repeller from Amazon over a year ago. I've had no issues with varmints. It draws about 1 watt.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KWQCNWS..._gWxv9tHd3gCX4
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:58 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Organ Pipe National Monument in Arizona is notorious for pack rats. They recommend putting up your hood during the day to discourage them. At night the lights could discourage them as well.

In my old garage I used the sound plugs the human ear can't hear. Before, I had a mouse problem and after I plugged them in I didn't. So I assumed they worked so installed one on an extension cord under the hood and inside the cabin where i stored my van outside. I still have them in my new condo garage. Until I have a problem, if ever, I will assume they work.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:05 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Organ Pipe National Monument in Arizona is notorious for pack rats. They recommend putting up your hood during the day to discourage them. At night the lights could discourage them as well.

In my old garage I used the sound plugs the human ear can't hear. Before, I had a mouse problem and after I plugged them in I didn't. So I assumed they worked so installed one on an extension cord under the hood and inside the cabin where i stored my van outside. I still have them in my new condo garage. Until I have a problem, if ever, I will assume they work.
Agree with the hood up. We just missed you by a day or 2 at Organ Pipe. Awesome part of the country.

On TDY near Victor MT.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred & Ruby View Post
We have a 2020 ProMaster 21' Travato 59K. New to this size campervan and ready to explore. My question is this: Is there truth that using LED rope lighting around the perimeter keeps the mice, chipmunks, squirrels, etc from going under the van? Where we park, the van is covered, but the critters are abundant. We've seen people doing this and have heard it deters. But is it just ambient lighting? Thoughts? And thanks
Works for me. One single string of LED's on the ground running the whole length of the Promaster right down the middle. No need to go all the way around. Before using the lights I would see rat pellets on the engine, and who knows where else. Now, nothing. No mice inside either. Also, last year I found multiple black widow webs (with resident spiders) in every wheel well..now none. The spiders are nocturnal hunters, and don't like the light either. Buy a string at Harbor Freight and try it---not much to lose.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post

What item is this you are using, Davy? There are lots of items out there, but
many DO NOT seem to last... Thanks
Chayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:58 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Default Try Irish Spring Soap

I was getting mice in the fall in my Roadtrek Sprinter. I saw a blog that said Irish Spring soap was an effective repellant. I staged a bar in a disposable paper bowl atop each tire. Turns out it works, but don't need that much. It is also pretty pugnant, so I now keep a couple of bars in a Ziploc bag in one of my storage areas. No mice since.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:08 PM   #14

Moth balls or Irish Spring...
Wonder which one has the most effect and least objectionable smell(?)

Might experiment with both in two different vehicles...

Lots of interesting answers here !
Chayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:22 PM   #15
Bronze Member

Here's a real world test of Irish Spring with a motion capture camera.

Spoiler alert: The mice nibbled on the soap
ikanode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:06 PM   #16

We recently spent 3 nights at a Virginia State Park having a mix of RVs and tenters. Our neighbor, owner of a 30-ft trailer had spread blue LEDs under and around his rig that lit up the night like a movie marquee, ruining the ambient darkness and so bright you risked temporary blindness if you looked at the lights directly. No one else had these lights. I encourage folks to be thoughtful about the brightness of these light strings.
Fred
Old 07-12-2020, 06:39 PM   #17
Gold Member

Doesn't keep them out of your house.
larrylwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:42 PM   #18
Gold Member

For long term storage I have found that spreading finely ground cayenne pepper all over the engine compartment worked well. I also had a few (very small) mice enter the air intake right behind the hood and get into the blower and ductwork on a couple of SUVs that I have owned and also had to store for long periods. Lightly sprinkling the cayenne in those vents also works, but be sure to open all the windows, start the car with the AC on, exit immediately, and run the car for 10 minutes or so before re-use!
nicaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:19 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I purchased an under hood repeller from Amazon over a year ago. I've had no issues with varmints. It draws about 1 watt.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KWQCNWS..._gWxv9tHd3gCX4
I have the same thing. I also bought small solar that sists on the dash, plugs into the cig lighter and makes up for the juice the strobe repellent uses. Being proactive, never had any issues, but read great reviews about this item
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:03 AM   #20
JML
Bronze Member

Default No packrats since I put in rope lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred & Ruby View Post
We live in Placitas NM which is ideal packrat habitat. I had a car catch fire from packrat damage and $800 in wiring on my RV. I Now have rope lights in my RV port, patio and porch. No rats since I started doing that. If you have packrats, I highly recommend it.
JML is offline   Reply With Quote