Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2019, 11:50 PM   #1

Default RT 190 Generator Hook up.

Howdy, I recently acquired a 2002 190 Popular. The generator hadn't been run in a while, but I got it going. It doesn't appear to be connected to the electrical system. Is there a switch or something I need to do?
BDSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:27 AM   #2
Bronze Member

Do you know what model you have? My 2800 Microlite has a circuit breaker switch in the generator compartment that is VERY easy to turn off when you put your hands in the compartment to check things like oil level. The good news is that Onan manuals are available online and are really good manuals.
Ed
Old 09-11-2019, 02:14 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum BDSO!

Yes, check the breaker on the generator as previously advised. Also, check and reset any other breakers in the coach. Flip them completely off and back on. Sometimes they can be tripped internally and it's not always obvious by sight.

It's also possible the generator has been neglected too long and not capable of generating power without some sort of repair. That is way above my level of expertise, however.

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #4
Bronze Member

My 1999 RT Popular 190 has the generator mounted underneath. You have to remove it to do anything besides routine maintenance. The Onan manuals (service and parts) are available online and are excellent! If you have to remove it it's really not TOO difficult.
TIP: I used a motorcycle frame jack to support the generator when removing and installing. Removed it by myself, needed the wife to operate the jack while I lined the mounting bolts up when re-installing it. Maybe one of the harder parts was the generator output wiring. Disconnected wiring and tied a piece of 1/4" rope wen removing generator, used rope to pull wiring back in when re-installing.
Good Luck!
Ed
Old 09-23-2019, 06:20 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDSO View Post
Howdy, I recently acquired a 2002 190 Popular. The generator hadn't been run in a while, but I got it going. It doesn't appear to be connected to the electrical system. Is there a switch or something I need to do?
Hi
I have a 2800 Oman also. Before you try to remove the generator, in the back of the coach on drivers side under the seat in front of your bed is the junction box. Use a multimeter and see if you’re get 120ac. Just follow the conduit from generator to house underneath- only 3 wires (black,white,and green are going thru it).
chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:20 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDSO View Post
There is a switch on the generator. Once you find that switch if you still don’t have power go to the transfer switch behind the power panel and check if it gets there. The good news is if it is running it is producing power. It won’t run when you let off the start switch if it isn’t.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote