Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2015, 12:06 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: "RT BBQ hoses/connectors/experiences" type question.

Finally got the new Q up and running over the weekend. Not bad, for following up on a a thread that I started about 7 years ago. Priorities? Can't accuse me of jumping the gun.
Had to wait about a week for the new 15' extension hose, I guess they were busy this time of year. It allows more flexibility of where I can place the grill in relation to the pigtail on the Roadtrek, and so far hasn't had any excessive flow shutoff issues, even at that length. I'm careful to open the quick connect valve slowly, when it's all connected. Set up and shutdown, about 5 minutes each.
So it's all functioning as expected. It's a great little grill so far (C$280), and I added an aluminum folding table (US$25) from Aldis as a stand. The grill has dual controlled burners, an igniter that works like a blowtorch, a cast porcelainized two piece grilling surface. It heats up quickly (according to the lid thermometer), and when shut off it cools very quickly. It weighs in at around 20lbs and feels pretty solid. We're starting slow with burgers and brats. Onward to experimenting with chops and steaks over the next few days.
It's Memorial Day in the US, so this may be an appropriate time to make what may be my final entry in this thread.
Hope you all are enjoying the weather, and some BBQ, wherever you may be.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150524_180124sm.JPG (185.4 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg 20150524_180006sm.JPG (138.9 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg 20150524_175816sm.JPG (170.1 KB, 156 views)
Old 05-25-2015, 01:22 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Glad to see you got one that works well with the Roadtrek pressure The 15' hose is great, I don't know how folks get along without one.

We did have the excess flow thing happen once to us, so it can happen. One thing I did do was put on a small torch head from a propane torch setup and lit it so I could watch the flame size while I turned off the propane valve. Our knob on the valve has something like 24+ little ridges on the perimeter for grip, and I found out valve was on enough to run a good sized flame on the torch when only open 1/2 of one of the notch spacing, maybe 1/50th of a turn. Maybe 1/8th inch of movement. I was going about 1/4 turn as the first move of the valve, which was basically full on for our valve. Very surprised at how little the knob has to be moved to turn on the gas.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Yes on pressure and hose length.
I assume you're talking on/off at the quick connect. Ours has a lever that sits perpendicular to the hose fitting when closed and can be moved to parallel to the fitting to open. So far, a slow movement to open seems to produce enough flow to create a decent flame for most of what I've cooked. According to the owners manual, a small blue flame along the length of the burner is optimum. However I have seen some decent yellow flame flare ups on particularly fatty sausages, for example.
I'll have to say, so far, so good, for gas flow and flame height.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:53 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Yes on pressure and hose length.
I assume you're talking on/off at the quick connect. Ours has a lever that sits perpendicular to the hose fitting when closed and can be moved to parallel to the fitting to open. So far, a slow movement to open seems to produce enough flow to create a decent flame for most of what I've cooked. According to the owners manual, a small blue flame along the length of the burner is optimum. However I have seen some decent yellow flame flare ups on particularly fatty sausages, for example.
I'll have to say, so far, so good, for gas flow and flame height.
Ours also has the lever valve on the hose, but I found that harder to control than with big tank valve. Since we normally have the big tank valve off, it is just easier to use it for turning on the grill opening the lever handle first. No biggy either way, as long as you know when the gas starts to flow so you don't open too fast. It would be interesting to do the flame test with lever valve and see how fast it comes on.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Finally got the new Q up and running over the weekend. Not bad, for following up on a a thread that I started about 7 years ago. Priorities? Can't accuse me of jumping the gun.
Had to wait about a week for the new 15' extension hose, I guess they were busy this time of year. It allows more flexibility of where I can place the grill in relation to the pigtail on the Roadtrek, and so far hasn't had any excessive flow shutoff issues, even at that length. I'm careful to open the quick connect valve slowly, when it's all connected. Set up and shutdown, about 5 minutes each.
So it's all functioning as expected. It's a great little grill so far (C$280), and I added an aluminum folding table (US$25) from Aldis as a stand. The grill has dual controlled burners, an igniter that works like a blowtorch, a cast porcelainized two piece grilling surface. It heats up quickly (according to the lid thermometer), and when shut off it cools very quickly. It weighs in at around 20lbs and feels pretty solid. We're starting slow with burgers and brats. Onward to experimenting with chops and steaks over the next few days.
It's Memorial Day in the US, so this may be an appropriate time to make what may be my final entry in this thread.
Hope you all are enjoying the weather, and some BBQ, wherever you may be.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004H4WWA6/ref ... SK7G&psc=1
Mike- is your grill this-
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
Mike is exactly correct, if you have the 15 psi connection, which on many Roadtreks actually uses a 10 psi regulator. I know the one on our 07 has a 15 psi tag on it, says it is 15 psi in the manual, but the regulator says 10 psi and that is what it tests at. It is still considered high pressure and the low pressure grills will not work on it. The one pound bottles are closer to 100 psi, so there can be issues with other grilles as Mike said.

We use a 9 X 12 cooking surface Magma grille, which cooks very well, and is small enough to go in our side storage. It is fine with the 10 psi.

http://www.magmaproducts.com/Product...trailmate.html

booster-will this connect to the roadtrek pigtail pressure with no adjustments other than a connecting hose-my head hurts-lol
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:25 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Ok, I see what you meant now. I might give your method a try next time out. It might be easier than the lever method, and would ensure the main propane is off after every use. I've been using the lever method to extinguish the grill and evacuate the hose at the same time. I do tend to leave the propane on more often than not, except when refilling or refueling.
I just finished doing some chicken drumsticks with a homemade spicy pot pourri bbq sauce slathered generously on them.
Honestly, I have no idea why this project took so long. It has culminated in 3 days of culinary bliss, so far.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:57 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
Mike is exactly correct, if you have the 15 psi connection, which on many Roadtreks actually uses a 10 psi regulator. I know the one on our 07 has a 15 psi tag on it, says it is 15 psi in the manual, but the regulator says 10 psi and that is what it tests at. It is still considered high pressure and the low pressure grills will not work on it. The one pound bottles are closer to 100 psi, so there can be issues with other grilles as Mike said.

We use a 9 X 12 cooking surface Magma grille, which cooks very well, and is small enough to go in our side storage. It is fine with the 10 psi.

http://www.magmaproducts.com/Product...trailmate.html

booster-will this connect to the roadtrek pigtail pressure with no adjustments other than a connecting hose-my head hurts-lol
Assuming they used the same regulator setup on the Zion that they did on Mike's 190 and our 190, it sounds like it should work fine. If there were a problem, Mike wouldn't have been able to get the grill hot enough, and he doesn't appear to have any heat issues.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:13 AM   #49
Platinum Member

So far the gas pressure at the burners seems adequate. With both burners on high, and lid closed, my grill reaches 600F (the maximum reading on the lid temp indicator) in about 5-7 minutes or so. I'm still mapping the grill surface for temperature variations and it looks like it's slightly hotter to the left side of center. I expected something like that. Just about every grill I've ever owned has had "hot spots" which I've found to be very useful down stream.