Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2021, 09:13 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default RT water tank leak

The attached picture is from a 1999 Roadtrek 170 fresh water tank, where the hose that goes up to the water pump is attached. I have a leak at the place marked with the red arrow. That attachment is not fixed in place; it can be turned and it is squared off below the threads, and so I am wondering if it itself is a threaded plug that screws into the water tank. If so, then perhaps fixing the leak would just be a matter of tightening it down or putting on some plumbers tape. Does this look familiar to anyone? I would like to know what I am dealing with before I put a wrench to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rt-fresh-water-tank.jpg (153.1 KB, 66 views)
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:04 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-NY View Post
The attached picture is from a 1999 Roadtrek 170 fresh water tank, where the hose that goes up to the water pump is attached. I have a leak at the place marked with the red arrow. That attachment is not fixed in place; it can be turned and it is squared off below the threads, and so I am wondering if it itself is a threaded plug that screws into the water tank. If so, then perhaps fixing the leak would just be a matter of tightening it down or putting on some plumbers tape. Does this look familiar to anyone? I would like to know what I am dealing with before I put a wrench to it.
Before turning it and possiblly breaking it off (since the "flat" area might just be a way to hold it when tightening a connection) I'd just seal it with "Goop". Should work since there is no water pressure, just gravity. Clean the area good, apply, and let it sit a day or two to fully cure.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazing-14021...1893715&sr=8-2

You can find it cheaper and at most big box stores.

If all else fails, you can probably find a shop to "spin-weld" a new connection, but I don't think that will be necessary.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:50 PM   #3
Platinum Member

More options, get a plastic washer, 1/8” to 1/4” thick with ID close to OD of the loose fitting. Easy to make with a hole saw from a PVC sheet about 1” larger in diameter than the loose fitting. Using polyurethane adhesive/sealant such as 3M 5200 apply thick layer of adhesive around the well cleaned tank around the cleaned nipple and place the washer tight to squeeze the adhesive. Use gloves and weight 24 hours. Thread the hose fitting with good sealant, could be 3M 5200 (this would be permanent), while keeping the tank fitting tight to prevent rotation with pliers.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 12:00 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Many thanks rowiebowie and GeorgeRa for your responses!

I am still wondering how the fitting itself is set in the tank. There are two fittings like this, the one in the picture and another for the low point drain. They both can be turned -- I always need to use a second wrench to hold the fitting in place when taking the plug off of the low point drain. But they have not leaked before. Is it possible that the fittings are just sealed into non-threaded holes in the water tank, and I am just lucky that they have not leaked up to now? How could a fitting like that not leak -- if it is free to turn at all how could it be sealed against leaking?
Old 05-25-2021, 06:24 PM   #5

I have a 2001 roadtrek with a similar looking tank. I would unscrew the fitting recap it with several layers or tape and reinstall. I have done the same to mine and have no leaks.
Jbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:38 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Thanks for your reply Jbell!

So you are saying that the entire fitting is threaded into the tank (not the threads visible in the picture) -- and screws into a threaded hole in the tank? That is,when I remove it I will have a part with threads on both ends and is squared off in the center, like in the attached picture?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg coupling.jpeg (5.1 KB, 125 views)
Old 05-25-2021, 08:03 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Perhaps it was spin welded with the flange on inside. Is there an access port on top of the tank? If it was spun you could spin it again. Just need a drill and guts .
Old 05-25-2021, 08:04 PM   #8

That is correct. The fitting that you are looking at is called a close nipple. It has threads on the other end that thread into the internal threads of the tank. I have a 01D190P and that’s how it’s made. That part of your tank looks just like mine.
You might want to install a new close nipple.
Good luck
Old 05-25-2021, 08:48 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Thanks again Jbell! That sounds right to me -- I'll try unscrewing it and applying some plumbers tape. I tried searching online for a new close nipple but have not yet come across anything that looks quite right.

And thanks everyone for your responses -- I am hoping for a screw in fitting over spin-welding! My sense is that Roadtrek was pretty smart about making these kind of things easily replaceable. And I think it was easy to get parts before they went out of business!
Old 05-25-2021, 08:52 PM   #10
Platinum Member

All options for size, length, thread length, material. I get their goodies in 3 days by UPS. https://www.mcmaster.com/close-nipples/
Old 05-25-2021, 09:01 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Thanks! This plastic fitting look like it might work: https://www.mcmaster.com/close-nippl...pipe-fittings/ But how do you get a wrench on it to tighten it down? Mine is squared off in the center, but those look like threads all the way.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:11 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Image search

https://www.google.com/search?q=plas...33&safe=active

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...navid=12105010

Try Cole Palmer as well. https://www.coleparmer.com/search?se...d+1%2F2%22+npt
Old 05-26-2021, 07:33 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Would this simple landscape riser cut down to the smallest length not work? It is a 39 cent solution from Lowes or Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-1-...8511/204590949
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:37 PM   #14

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/n...treply&t=12191
Old 05-26-2021, 09:41 PM   #15

The link didn’t work. Don’t use the sprinkler riser. They are too thin and will break. Use a white PVC close nipple out of the plumbing department. Tighten with a pair of pliers in the smooth section between the threaded ends. Use plumbers tape on threads,
Old 06-07-2021, 06:25 PM   #16
Platinum Member

To follow up, here is the part from my 1999 170 Roadtrek. There was no plumbers' tape or any other sealant on it so I am surprised that it sealed at all. I am going to put some tape on it when I put it back in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture157.jpg (91.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-07-2021, 06:38 PM   #17
Site Team

Teflon tape should never be used on PVC fittings, it stressed them and makes them slippery which encourages over tightening. (it is intended for iron pipes). The fittings are tapered, so over tightening will tend to split them. There are sealants designed for PVC which may be used.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote