Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2022, 06:18 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Rubber/plastic maintenance

Besides covering it all up, what's a good way to maintain the rubber seals and plastic parts when your camper is exposed to daily sun?

Are there any inexpensive things one can use, silicone spray, sunscreen, butter? I know there are high-tech solutions (3 in One etc) but are their simple ones too?

What do YOU use to keep rubber parts black and shiny? Same for sun-exposed plastic trim etc?
Old 04-18-2022, 06:30 PM   #2
Platinum Member

shade works best

garage, carport, tire covers

I've used some spray on 'conditioners' but it's temporary

be careful as some of these could be slippy if applied to a step or similar surface
mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 06:43 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
shade works best

garage, carport, tire covers

I've used some spray on 'conditioners' but it's temporary

be careful as some of these could be slippy if applied to a step or similar surface
mike
I know... not an option for some. I've got tire covers, but I don't want to cover up the whole thing, too much work to take off and put back on.
Old 04-18-2022, 07:05 PM   #4
Platinum Member

How about this specific for rubber https://www.amazon.com/303-Rubber-Pr...957907436&th=1 and this more generic https://www.amazon.com/303-30306-Aer...000XBCURW?th=1
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 07:52 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I use 303 Marine Aerospace Protectan on all the rubber parts that see the sun or ozone regularly. Seems to work very well. Even makes the tires look better but not glassy like the silicone stuff. Also vinyl like seats (yea that is what Ultraleather really is, I fear). Very good reputation and their testing looks impressive, if totally true.

On the door seal I will use the 303, but also use glycerin if they start to stick to the doors when opening, as it seems to be the best for that.

I stay away from any silicone products for things like this, including Armor All.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:20 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I had some of the 303- seemed to make some surfaces sticky/gummy
you experience that at all ?

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:42 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I have used 303 for over 20 years with great results. It has kept my tires in good shape with only no or minimal cracking after several years. It has seemed to keep rubber seals in good shape. You do have to apply regularly. Every 1-2 months on tires. Every 6-12 months on rubber seals. 303 has become very expensive so I am trying Aero Cosmetics Rubber Care. It has good reviews and is non-petroleum based, which is what you want. So far I have been happy with it after using for a year.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:24 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
I have used 303 for over 20 years with great results. It has kept my tires in good shape with only no or minimal cracking after several years. It has seemed to keep rubber seals in good shape. You do have to apply regularly. Every 1-2 months on tires. Every 6-12 months on rubber seals. 303 has become very expensive so I am trying Aero Cosmetics Rubber Care. It has good reviews and is non-petroleum based, which is what you want. So far I have been happy with it after using for a year.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Thank you for for the recommendation. I will give that a shot.
Urlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 10:44 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Just a belated update - I bought this Chemical Guys TVD111 G6 HyperCoat High Gloss Coating Protectant...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WP1KZN2

Expensive, $44 when I purchased it, but a gallon will last a long time. Plus, it seems to work well, lasts, and smells good (to me at least) although wearing gloves when applying it is probably beneficial.
Old 05-10-2023, 10:55 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
Just a belated update - I bought this Chemical Guys TVD111 G6 HyperCoat High Gloss Coating Protectant...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WP1KZN2

Expensive, $44 when I purchased it, but a gallon will last a long time. Plus, it seems to work well, lasts, and smells good (to me at least) although wearing gloves when applying it is probably beneficial.

Personally, I would not use as it is a silicone enhanced product that most tire manufacturers and other materials don't recommend. It may also have a solvent carrier as their other product shown does, I says.\

Body shops and even upholstery shops hate anything with silicone in it, like Armorall or this, because wherever it lands intentionally or by accident will be very, very hard to get paint or adhesives to stick to. Think molding strips that need to be reapplied because the adhesive failed. Seat repair that needed to spray color to match, rocker panels that got some on because some got there doing the sill plates, etc.

If it does have any solvents in it, they will degrade many rubber and plastic products after making them initially look better.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 12:16 AM   #11
Platinum Member

We had a detailing seminar at ARV Fest last weekend and these products were recommended. I haven’t used them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3701.jpg (109.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3702.jpg (104.3 KB, 8 views)
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 12:41 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Ditto to what peteco says about Aerospace 303. We have been using it for ten years. We buy the 1US gal size. Just like Frank's Hot Sauce, we put that s... on everything, including the dash, doors, rubber flooring, even the vinyl ceiling.
I also treated our ten year old 13 foot Saturn inflatable fishing kayak twice yearly with 303 (at season startup and put-away). We sold it last week. The buyer was amazed at the condition it was in for its age and made no attempt to lower our asking price. Yes it is expensive; we believe it is worth the extra cost.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 03:27 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
We had a detailing seminar at ARV Fest last weekend and these products were recommended. I haven’t used them.
Yep, I looked at the VRP too, but eventually went with the TVD. Did not know that silicone = bad. Not planning on painting the car anytime soon, so hopefully by then it has worn off. I try to just apply it to the plastic/rubber parts, not the paint.