Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2007, 05:57 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Running Refer On 12 Volt While Driving

Running Refer On 12 Volt While Driving
Does The Alternator keep Up With Current Used By Refer?

It is funny in almost every one of my Rv's, I have always had a 3 way refer, but hardly ever used 12 volts while travelling.

For those that do use 12 volt while travelling, are your batteries fully charged when you get to your destination, or are they somewhat depleted from the refer running.

We have an Alaska trip coming up, and since I 3 agm rv batteries, I thought I would use 12 volt while on the road and save my propane.

Please let me know what your experience has been?
jerrygaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Your alternator should have no problem supplying all the current your fridge needs while your at driving rpms. My fridge owners manual states that the max fuse size to use is 20 amps so the fridge uses less than that.

My batteries (2 x 115ah) stay charged when my fridge is on battery while I'm driving.

That said, the cooling on battery is very poor on mine. I set it to max whereas it might be on 3 on the dial for propane. Might just be a problem with mine. AC electric cooling is good.

I use a wireless thermometer so that I know the fridge temp. I run the fridge on propane as much as I can.

Fridge should not be on propane when fueling our RV's.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:42 AM   #3
Silver Member

Default Running refer on 12-volt

We always run ours on 12-volt while driving. It does not draw the batteries down at all. The alternator keeps it all up just fine. We even leave it on 12-volt if we stop for a very short time. If we are going to stop or be gone from the RT more than an hour, we switch to gas. As long as the refer is at a good temp when we switch over to 12-volt, it will maintain it just fine. It can hold a temp ok, it just can't improve it while on 12-volt. Ours can usually maintain 36 to 39 degrees in up to mid 80 degree outside temps. In 90s, it climbs to 41-43 area. We monitor it with a wireless digital unit. To achieve this type of efficency we did have to install a Snyder's fan kit in rear of the refer. I did it myself, not really difficult, and it only costs $42.00. It was a great investment, because prior to this install, it sometimes got as bad as 60 degrees in the door area when it was 90s out. Feel free to e-mail for more info if you need it. srdebarr@mechcom.net.
FMCA #376666
Barman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:11 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Default Re: Running refer on 12-volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman
We always run ours on 12-volt while driving. It does not draw the batteries down at all. The alternator keeps it all up just fine. We even leave it on 12-volt if we stop for a very short time. If we are going to stop or be gone from the RT more than an hour, we switch to gas. As long as the refer is at a good temp when we switch over to 12-volt, it will maintain it just fine. It can hold a temp ok, it just can't improve it while on 12-volt. Ours can usually maintain 36 to 39 degrees in up to mid 80 degree outside temps. In 90s, it climbs to 41-43 area. We monitor it with a wireless digital unit. To achieve this type of efficency we did have to install a Snyder's fan kit in rear of the refer. I did it myself, not really difficult, and it only costs $42.00. It was a great investment, because prior to this install, it sometimes got as bad as 60 degrees in the door area when it was 90s out. Feel free to e-mail for more info if you need it. srdebarr@mechcom.net.
tHANKS FOR THE REPLY, i AM CURIOUS WHAT THE Snyder's fan kit iS, AND A OICTURE OF THE INSTALL IF YOU GHAVE ONE
Old 04-02-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
Silver Member

Default Snyder's Fan Kit Info

You can go to www.snydersrvrefrigeration.com/page12.html and there is all kinds of information on the system and its use and it also has pictures. I have been happy so far with mine, and he has lowered the price from when I purchased mine.
FMCA #376666
Old 04-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Default refer removal

did you have to remove the refer to install the kit?
Old 04-03-2007, 12:32 PM   #7
Silver Member

Default Refer removal

Yes, it does require the refer to be removed. On my unit it really was not very difficult, but it did take me about 2 1/2 hours to do the whole job. I tend to pretty methodical about how I do things, so it is possible to do it quicker I'm sure. The refer performance improvement was substancial enough to justify it for sure.
FMCA #376666
Old 04-04-2007, 06:15 PM   #8

Default Frige 12 volt power

The 12 volt system on most friges are rated to maintane the frige temp! Once it has been opened several times it will get warmer. When the out side temp has reached above 90 the 12 volt is iffy.
Dan The Van Man is offline   Reply With Quote