Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2020, 05:00 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default RV Camping Etiquette Trend

Well this is sad - start watching at the 6 minute mark at least - https://youtu.be/AXO2d_c1fMU
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:04 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Perfect storm plus law of unintended consequences, in part. COVID-19 has:

1. Shut down many legitimate dump options for people (yowza, to hear Redditors complain about that one! Your ears would fall off.).

2. Increased the number of people engaging in outdoor activities for lack of more socially-dense options.

3. Caused shortages of countless consumer products including RV-related goods. As one example, Nature's Head composting toilet has a notice on their website announcing a 4-week delay on shipping. So if someone wanted to replace their Homer bucket, they'll be waiting a long time, even if they have a grand to spare.

4. Caused financial hardship for millions of people, most of whom are at the low end of the wage scale.

There have always been bad actors in the boondocking realm. Access pressures may be making some of them more visible now.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:54 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I hope these fears of irresponsible campers trashing areas turns out to be over-blow like the reports during the gov't shutdown. But with Covid, all bets are off so it could be a sign of more bad things to come.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:44 PM   #4
Silver Member

I'm sure some people are just ignorant of the proper methods and customs to camping and such. I'm also sure that some people are just nasty, don't care, and feel entitled to do whatever they please where ever they please without any regard to those around them. We have no lack of examples of people fitting either scenario in life as a rule, so I'm not sure why camping would be any different.

As for the redux in ranger/forrest/national park staff ... There were lots of trails and stuff closed in places like Yellowstone even a few years ago because the budgets for the parks have been slashed. This is just more of the same.
BrianCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:34 PM   #5
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCO View Post
I'm sure some people are just ignorant of the proper methods and customs to camping and such. I'm also sure that some people are just nasty, don't care, and feel entitled to do whatever they please where ever they please without any regard to those around them. We have no lack of examples of people fitting either scenario in life as a rule, so I'm not sure why camping would be any different.

As for the redux in ranger/forrest/national park staff ... There were lots of trails and stuff closed in places like Yellowstone even a few years ago because the budgets for the parks have been slashed. This is just more of the same.

Speaking to the staffing specially, shouldn’t they be changing soon due to the outdoors act that was recently signed into law?
Van_Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:06 PM   #6
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van_Dreams View Post
Speaking to the staffing specially, shouldn’t they be changing soon due to the outdoors act that was recently signed into law?
While the Act is a great move forward I think it leaves really large gaps in funding, specifically, I don't believe either major component of the Act will address personnel for Rangers, Park Services, etc. but I could be wrong.

It's great to have additional monies available to help clear the backlog of maintenance, but we still need people to enforce the rules and all that.

I'm def not an authority on the complexities of the Outdoors Act so please correct me as needed.
BrianCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:35 PM   #7
Platinum Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...itid=hp_travel

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote