Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2022, 08:27 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default RV Cover Update

There have been questions about covers over the years on the forum. I would like an update from people that have actually used a cover, and their recommendation on what they used.

I just want to keep the sun, bird droppings, sap and dust off my Roadtrek 210 when I am not using it. The vehicle is kept at my house so I have easy access to it. If it is going to get very windy I will remove the cover to keep it from ripping and from rubbing excessively on the paint.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 01:04 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I use been using this cover for my 1999 Roadtrek 170 for the last few years:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QHEFCW

I got for about 1/2 the current price then, and it has held up well. It is easy to put on and remove. I have not noticed any problems with scratching the paint. And I think that with a vintage RV that is sitting out all winter the benefits in protecting the finish, the window seals, etc., outweigh any such concerns.
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 10:38 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I use a similar cover made by the same company. It is lightweight compared to an ADCO cover so it's easier to get up onto the roof and it's very slippery so it's easy to remove, also. It's on its 3rd year and I'll have to replace it next year. The sun is brutal. I also have not noticed any scratching and I don't remove it when it gets windy. I always wash the RV before I cover it.

Cover sharp edges on your roof with shop towels and be systematic when you roll it up after removing it. Knowing how it's going to unroll makes it so much easier to put on.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 11:26 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Personally, if the budget and space allow for it, I would consider using a carport of some sort that is strong enough to handle local winds. I have seen them used with tarpped, but with small vent flaps on them for ventilation, sides so they can be opened up if needed. Not having anything rubbing on the van is good thing.

Covers on big tall vehicles are a real pain to put on, IMO, although some people have made some sort of pole/arch support that allows two people to flip it up on one end and walk it down to the other end while it supports the cover off the van roof and all it's stuff to get hooked on.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:54 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Personally, if the budget and space allow for it, I would consider using a carport of some sort that is strong enough to handle local winds. I have seen them used with tarpped, but with small vent flaps on them for ventilation, sides so they can be opened up if needed. Not having anything rubbing on the van is good thing.

Covers on big tall vehicles are a real pain to put on, IMO, although some people have made some sort of pole/arch support that allows two people to flip it up on one end and walk it down to the other end while it supports the cover off the van roof and all it's stuff to get hooked on.
Would love to have a carport but not practical. I was planning on a pole system to make install and remove easier.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 04:15 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I have a cover for my Sprinter LTV Free Spirit, but rarely use it. I actually hate that I have to remove the radio antenna before putting it on. Then of course there's the rubbing aspect. A carport is the answer, but we're tenants and can't build one.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote