Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2020, 05:00 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default RV Covers for the Desert Sun

I am researching covers for my Fleetwood/Midwest Auto Design IROK - something that will protect it in the Arizona sun. One concern I have is about the fit - as our IROK has the "roof top rack" option adding to the height of the unit, as well as an affixed ladder on the driver's side. Any recommendations?
DesertCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:10 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Wise decision to ask for recommendations. Let me premise, these are just some anecdotal things I've heard and not from personal experience:

- I've seen comments that today's automotive paint doesn't need protection from sun and weather. Sure, less exposure is better, but it will be many years before exposure will show up on your paint job.

- Some covers may not be soft enough for the cover to not mar the paint itself. Especially if buffeted by high wind or if the paint surface is not perfectly clean at the time the cover is applied.

- I personally store my "b" at home and drive it every few weeks because it is not good for an automobile to sit for long periods. I might not be inclined to do so if I had to go through the difficult process (at least I perceive it as difficult) of uncovering, washing, and covering my van.

Hope some with direct knowledge will chime in.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:35 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I've used the ADCO cover in AZ and ID. Expect it to last about 3 years. The sun will destroy it. Maybe modern paints will weather the sun, but none of the plastic bits will and some are hard to source, not to mention the uv entering through the windows and the heat.

I have a Classic Accessories cover on my Travato right now. It is 1/2 the weight and way easier to put on. I don't know how long it will last as I've only used it for 1 year (4 seasons). If it lasts as long as the ADCO, I would buy another one just like it.

People will say covers will wear spots on the vehicle. I have never seen this. I don't put the van up dirty and I tie the cover down tight.

If I could have a garage or carport, I would. But I can't so the cover is the next best thing.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:33 AM   #4
Silver Member

Default my pick

I did a fair bit of research on covers and landed on the platinum from carcovers.com . They were helpful, took into account that I had rooftop equipment and offer 30 day return policy. The cover is nice and not heavy, def will limit sun damage, which was a big concern for me too living in the Colorado high country. I haven't had it long so can't comment on longevity but has a 'lifetime' warranty.

https://www.carcovers.com/covers/van...van-cover.html

--b
BrianCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:00 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Being an AZ resident (lower desert) as well I have to say that AZ sun is hard on the most reasonably priced covers. I routinely put low priced (O'Reily's) covers on 2 cars stored in my driveway and I had to replace them every year. They simply fell apart; turned into dust. So I'm not sure what to recommend for a RV. Our old 97PW is in uncovered storage. Has been since 2016. Waxed it this spring and it still looks amazingly good. We do store with every window covered with cardboard on the inside. At our storage facility we see a lot of RVs stored with the curtains drawn. Not sure how long fabric would last with that exposure.

I'm pretty sure a better quality cover would last longer. They do come in quality gradations. I used to drive my old vette to work every day and parked in an outside lot. I covered it with a California brand cover. After 20 years I still have that cover over the car and except for elastic wimping out, the fabric is still solid.

Watching to see what others reply.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:58 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Thanks everyone - great info so far. I do feel that a cover will be needed; not so much for paint protection, but for all the other components. I store it at a lot only 2 miles from my home; and like Rowiebowie, I like to run it every week or so.....therefore one of my big concerns is just how easy it is to take the cover on and off. Getting on the roof of the IROK is not a problem; it has a great ladder affixed to it.
DesertCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rv cover