Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2022, 04:12 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default RV Dump at home

I just remembered that I have a sewer clean out in my driveway at my home in Ohio. It will be nice to be able to dump at home. Just remove the white cap and good to go.

Maybe I will list on rvdumps.com and allow free dumping!

Now that would be good karma
KurtFranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 02:22 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I almost always dump at home into our septic system. I have a Flojet portable macerator pump that I clamp onto the vans black tank dump valve along with a wider diameter hose to the septic system. Besides not having to dump at campgrounds, this also allows me to connect a garden hose to the Flojet pump so I can flush out the tank with fresh water several times to clean it well. It works great and is fast.

https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-185550...s%2C219&sr=8-5
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:09 AM   #3
Gold Member

I will say this, I used a Thetford Porta Potty for years in my popup and my Vanagon and never had an issue with dumping the contents into the toilet when necessary. It was certainly very convenient.

www.roadtrek190.com
Kurt Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:12 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I empty the tanks into a low-profile blue-boy, then dump that into the sewer clean out. Works well for me.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:54 PM   #5
Platinum Member

For many years I parked in the street in front of my house and used a 100 foot 3/4 inch hose. I pumped approximately 90 feet to the cleanout.

Four years ago, I dug a trench from near the curb to the cleanout and installed a one inch pvc pipe. At the curb, I used a small yard irrigation valve box and cover to connect to the pipe.

Now, I don't have to drag out that hose and simply pull up, remove the valve cover in the yard, hook up the macerator hose in the Roadtrek and pump away. Very convenient and easy to do. The macerator easily pumps a hundred feet. I think the key is to use a 3/4 inch hose and not a standard 5/8 inch yard hose.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 03:53 PM   #6

Default At Home Dump Station

I've been doing the same here with our septic system. Works fine - just one thing to consider -- you actually can overwhelm your septic tank if dumping the entire contents of a big RV. No problems with Class Bs, pickup campers, or smaller trailers, but if dumping from a large motorhome or 5th wheel you might want to split it over 2 days.

Also not a problem if on a city sewer system.
SeabeckStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 04:07 PM   #7
Silver Member

A lot of people don't realize that they have a sewer cleanout right there in their front yard that they can use. It sometimes just takes a little ingenuity to do so.
leva56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 04:32 PM   #8

Do you guys have cleanouts on your septic systems? Wondering where you insert the hose.
DelcoBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:01 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Yep, I piped mine to the clean out on the septic system. Before I put down the pipe and fitted it into the clean out pipe below the ground, I would just pop the top of the clean out and stick in the hose. Works great for me. Prior to doing this, I would use the dump at the Flying J truck stop about three miles from my house. After they took bankruptcy and started charging for the dump, I rigged up at home to do the job.

Good point about large units setting back a septic tank if you dumped a large black tank from a big unit.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:03 PM   #10
Gold Member

My city sewer clean-out is in the driveway.

www.roadtrek190.com
Kurt Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:19 PM   #11

Default Septic cleanouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelcoBobby View Post
Do you guys have cleanouts on your septic systems? Wondering where you insert the hose.
All home septic systems "should" have cleanouts, but that doesn't mean they actually do. I plumbed our current house myself and three have cleanouts past the end of each run. But one of my runs goes to a kitchen island, soo the cleanout ids in the island itself. On the other two the cleanout is just outside of the fixture closest to the outside wall.

Our last house had a septic & drain field in the back yard, and so were the cleanouts - on a sloped yard, one story up (garage under living area). Totally inaccessible for RVs. But with our current home I designed it with RVs in mind, so we have two potential dump spots.
Old 05-21-2022, 03:17 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post
I empty the tanks into a low-profile blue-boy, then dump that into the sewer clean out. Works well for me.
What is a low profile blue boy?
KurtFranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:46 AM   #13

Default low-profile blue-boy

It's a blue plastic tank with wheels on one end. You empty your RV tank into the Blue Boy, then take the Blue Boy to wherever you can dump it. If you Google "RV low-profile blue-boy" you can see an example.