Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2020, 07:35 PM   #21
Bronze Member

Came across this string. Do most of you have a deductible on your glass because your carrier considers your Class B to be an "RV". I could see if it was one of those huge Class A units but these are regular vehicles that have been customized for camping/travel; the windshields are the same as a stock version of the vehicle.
DesertCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:45 PM   #22
Platinum Member

My Sprinters windshield has been replaced twice in last 3 years and it was a split cost, whether that means a deductible applied or there was a discounted rate I dont know.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:47 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertCanuck View Post
Came across this string. Do most of you have a deductible on your glass because your carrier considers your Class B to be an "RV".

Arizona is unique in requiring insurers to offer glass coverage- like many I go through windshields a few times a year on our cars, B and pick up.

I've never had a claim on the other glass

Lack of enforcement on load covering means our roads are covered in rocks and gravel

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:58 PM   #24
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
Arizona is unique in requiring insurers to offer glass coverage- like many I go through windshields a few times a year on our cars, B and pick up.

I've never had a claim on the other glass

Lack of enforcement on load covering means our roads are covered in rocks and gravel

Mike

True, but maybe more so are vehicles that arrive on paved highways from unpaved roads. Depending on the unpaved road, recall hearing rocks hitting your vehicle, B or others? Where you drive can sure make a difference, no does make a difference.

I mentioned in an earlier post the Causeway north of New Orleans. The folks that commute that will have glass where I don't. I mean, where are the rocks and more going to go? They don't all just drain into the lake below.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 03:16 PM   #25

have you already purchased the 2011 Roadtrek? If yes, do you like it?
Jinocraf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 04:43 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertCanuck View Post
Came across this string. Do most of you have a deductible on your glass because your carrier considers your Class B to be an "RV". I could see if it was one of those huge Class A units but these are regular vehicles that have been customized for camping/travel; the windshields are the same as a stock version of the vehicle.
My glass coverage is 100%! Glass coverage is cheap.
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:32 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Just had a weird experience with full glass coverage on the Roadtrek. All our vehicles carry it, and we average a new windshield every 1-2 years on each vehicle (and I wait until it's pretty bad). Agree that AZ is tough on windshields.

When I insured our new-to-us Roadtrek, I went with a higher deductible but specifically requested full glass coverage. However when I required a windshield replacement recently, I was told I didn't have the coverage and would have to pay the full cost. Fortunately I still had my original application for insurance on file, and it showed I had applied for full glass coverage.

It took some hustling by my agent, referral to a special department at State Farm, and a couple weeks' delay, but in the end they honored the claim (and waived the small extra premium I should have been paying for the past 2 years). All in all, it was confirmation of why I have stayed with State Farm for so long. Everyone, both at my agent and at the main office, was accessible, friendly, and helpful.

The break itself was unusual, too. There was no impact; it just suddenly fractured all the way across while parked back in June. I'm guessing it was heat-related, though conditions weren't extreme: mid-90's and mostly shaded, no sudden changes in temperature.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:55 PM   #28

I had a weird story with buying a Hymer Aktiv S last year. I was wondering just after buying it, why did the insurance costs $2,500 per year. I was like, wait, this is class B, isn't it? I checked the vin via Vingurus and found out that it was writen wrong, that Hymer Aktiv S 2019 is class A. I called the insurance company and told them that it's class b, so I should pay not more than $1,000.
Jinocraf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:59 AM   #29
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I recommend cutting to the chase and going through Overland Insurance.

https://rvins.com/

They will probably line you up with one of the major insurers, but depending on your specific policy needs, the process might be a lot less painful if you use them as your agent.

My policy is both agreed-value and full-timer, and I got nowhere trying to negotiate that deal myself. They set it up for me. And this is amusing - they negotiated our policy with Progressive, something which I could accomplish myself even though Progressive was already our auto policy issuer for our daily drivers.

I receive no compensation from Overland for recommending them. There may be other competitor companies out there that are also worth considering, that specialize in RV insurance.
This is a great tip. I just finished working with them. They insured my 1998 PW STW at an agreed value of $24,500 thru Progressive at about $400/year. This also has increased liability coverage and low deductible. I am in Maine and use the van about 30 days per year. I did have to get an appraisal to get the agreed value coverage. That cost $275. I worked with Ron Jarvie at Overland and James Polk of Polk Appraisals.

I had previously spoken with Good Sam and they quoted me nearly $1,000 thru Progressive.
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:36 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Glass coverage is like $100 a year. Why would you not take it?

I take it back. It's freaking $51
coss370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:35 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coss370 View Post
Glass coverage is like $100 a year. Why would you not take it?

I take it back. It's freaking $51
Exactly! I had requested it and my computer application had the full glass box checked, but somehow it got left off the policy when it was processed.

State Farm made it right, covered the windshield replacement, and that was my point. Nothing but good things to say about their customer service for 36 years.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:51 PM   #32
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Exactly! I had requested it and my computer application had the full glass box checked, but somehow it got left off the policy when it was processed.

State Farm made it right, covered the windshield replacement, and that was my point. Nothing but good things to say about their customer service for 36 years.
Jon, many years ago here in Louisiana, State Farm Paid to fix chips Whether you had glass coverage or not. I did not have glass coverage (no need) but did use the chip stuff once. The State Farm agent did not know or was able to find out why chip stuff was covered with No Glass coverage. That did change though.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:19 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Jon, many years ago here in Louisiana, State Farm Paid to fix chips Whether you had glass coverage or not. I did not have glass coverage (no need) but did use the chip stuff once. The State Farm agent did not know or was able to find out why chip stuff was covered with No Glass coverage. That did change though.
Many insurance firms waive the deductible on glass repair, since it is to their advantage to not have the chips develop into cracks that require window replacements.

As I understand it, State Farm is one of the few major companies that does NOT follow this policy. I have no idea why, although I don't think they charge anything extra for "glass coverage". It is just another claim under the comprehensive policy.

We stay with them anyway, due to long-term good experience, but it is a bummer.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:45 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
As I understand it, State Farm is one of the few major companies that does NOT follow this policy. I have no idea why, although I don't think they charge anything extra for "glass coverage". It is just another claim under the comprehensive policy.

We stay with them anyway, due to long-term good experience, but it is a bummer.
State Farm offers extended coverage that waives the comprehensive deductible for glass repair AND replacement. It’s a very modest premium increase. We average two windshields a year, and it’s the only part of our insurance coverage in which we beat the house.

Vehicle insurance coverage options vary by state, so that might account for the difference.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:20 AM   #35
Platinum Member

In Alaska, where we use sand and gravel on the roads instead of salt in the winter, and winter lasts a long time, you can imagine that windshield repairs are more frequent than average. We also have more than our share of gravel roads. I have glass coverage with my comprehensive through State Farm, and my agent told me that there was a rumor that State Farm might drop the glass coverage for Alaska. They waive the deductible for chips and repairs.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 02:09 AM   #36
Platinum Member

Default Another nuance to insurance

I believe it may be addressed elsewhere in Class B Forums but in the event you elect to rent out your RV under Outdoorsy or other networks, you need to make sure your insurer is OK with that scenario. Progressive is NOT. Do your homework and don't assume your vehicle is covered if it is rented to someone.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 02:18 AM   #37
Platinum Member

As I recall from our last windshield repair, the windshields on our Sprinter are relatively inexpensive. I think our last one was about $300 in comparison to the windshield on our SUV which was almost $900. It has been a couple years but as I recall we just paid for our first and only Sprinter windshield ourselves because it was cheaper than paying our deductible plus the rate increase we would have got every year by filing a claim.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 02:36 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
as I recall we just paid for our first and only Sprinter windshield ourselves because it was cheaper than paying our deductible plus the rate increase we would have got every year by filing a claim.
I thought that only collision claims led to increased rates, not comprehensive. Is that not right?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 12:34 PM   #39
Platinum Member

In Minnesota windshields have to be covered with non-deductible charges so there is no excuse to have them repaired as soon as possible. I assume it is deemed a safety issue.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 12:52 PM   #40
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=InterBlog;110259]I recommend cutting to the chase and going through Overland Insurance.

[... My policy is both agreed-value and full-timer ...

Sure wish we could get Agreed Value here in Ontario, Canada, but this policy does not exist. Today, I could probably sell my RT for $80.000 cd, however without Agreed Value I would get about $30,000 (Blue Book) in the case of a total write-off.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote