Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2018, 01:41 AM   #21
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

What is a "Head Unit" ?
It's the "radio" unit mounted in the dash. The complete system also includes amps and speakers that are placed elsewhere.
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:02 AM   #22
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
It's the "radio" unit mounted in the dash. The complete system also includes amps and speakers that are placed elsewhere.
Thanks.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

What is a "Head Unit" ?
The head unit is another name for the radio. These radios can easily be replaced with after market radios like Avanti mentioned earlier in the thread. The Alpine Halo 9 is basically the same radio listed for the Swedish Sprinter.
For me the biggest advantage of replacing your radio with a more modern version is access to Apple Carplay and Android Auto and being able to use Google Maps and Waze straight from the head unit.
soLucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:35 AM   #24
BBQ
Platinum Member

Thanks for the answers.

Somehow I thought a head unit is the "Front" for a "tail" unit. I was wondering where/what is the "Tail".
Old 07-28-2018, 12:16 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Something to think about...

While that big screen is certainly beautiful, it's only one screen, and the user is presumably limited to whatever canned stuff is installed behind that screen.

There is always the option of installing multiple smaller screens, says the screenaholic me. That way you can have different feeds of info displaying at the same time.

Duelling seven-inch GPS feeds (depicted below) are not necessary, obviously, but sometimes useful when one of them gives a bum steer (which they routinely do).

More to the point, I'm looking forward to the day when one of these units can be used to display a superior "up ahead" feed that is ACTUALLY USEFUL. We started corresponding with Adam Longfellow, the owner of Allstays, because what I really want is to have Allstays-type info feeding through our Garmin in real time - NOT the useless crap that Garmin wants to feed through our Garmin in real time. I bought the "Pro" version of Allstays but it's designed as a static rather than a mobile app. And my husband tried to customize the Garmin, but the really important bits are encrypted. It would have taken him too long to crack it.

Anyway, FWIW, I'm ready with redundant hardware if improved software does arrive on the market from either direction (either via Garmin or via a better app).

And oh, the iPhone is largely to control music and podcasts. The Apple interface will do that on the head unit itself, but it's convenient not to have to reach way over. And this way the Pioneer screen can display different things, such as texts, caller ID, and email titles that I can glance at (but not read). I'm a small business owner, and sometimes it's useful to know whether incoming communications warrant pulling off the road to deal with, or can wait until later.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
puchase