Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2018, 06:02 PM   #1

Default RV Show/SuperShow Recommendations

My wife and I are retiring this year, and planning for life after retirement. Traveling in a Class B has been in our plans for a number of years, so I have been a long-term lurker on this forum, gathering as much information as I can. Even though I think we have a good idea what we're looking for, we haven't actually shopped or looked at any Class B's in person.

FYI, we owned a VW Westfalia 1984-88 and traveled all over the U.S. and Canada. Have also owned a tent camper and Class C since the Westfalia. Car camping in the Honda CR-V more recently, so we're looking to upgrade.

I know that there are RV SuperShows in Hershey, Tampa, Pomona, etc. I'm looking for recommendations on which SuperShow to attend to get the best overview and perhaps the best deal. Thanks.
FritzW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:09 AM   #2
Bronze Member

I'm going to give this thread a "bump," since I'm interested to see what folks answer, too. I've heard the Hershey show is pretty big, and I hope that's a good answer, since I have relatives in PA I could visit while up that way as well...
dhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:32 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I too am interested (even though I have my class B).

From what I can tell, the shows are mostly from late Fall to early Spring. I'd like to catch one later this year.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:32 AM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

No doubt you will see all the Class B at Hershey.
In terms of size... it is B-I-G.
But being big is of no additional benefit;
95% of the show is devoted to trailers, trailers, 5th wheels, Class A... and some Class C.
The money is in the trailers.
The volume is in the trailers.
You will see rows and rows of trailers.
Class B is but a tiny segment. Almost like an afterthought.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

No doubt you will see all the Class B at Hershey.
In terms of size... it is B-I-G.
But being big is of no additional benefit;
95% of the show is devoted to trailers, trailers, 5th wheels, Class A... and some Class C.
The money is in the trailers.
The volume is in the trailers.
You will see rows and rows of trailers.
Class B is but a tiny segment. Almost like an afterthought.
You're probably right. In spite of the increase in class B sales, if our recent 4,000 mile round trip to Yellowstone is representative, class B's are still just a tiny segment of the overall market. I saw only about half-dozen b's during the entire 13 days.

One, however, was another Airstream Avenue going into Arches NP as we were leaving. Given that only a few hundred were ever made, I was surprised to see another one. Would have liked to speak to them about it, but like I said, we were passing the opposite way.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:56 PM   #6

If you are looking for a Class B you should consider the Class B only show that occurs in the late spring in Phoenix AZ. You will see all models in one place. I think La Mesa RV sponsors it.

Check out coverage on YouTube. The Wendland cover it on their Roadtreking channel
MiClassB17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:09 PM   #7
bls

I attended the Hershey show last year and bought my carado banff there. show prices are usually significantly below mspr and even then, they are negotiable. i downloaded the exhibit map, circled all of the class b dealers and visited each one. it was an all-day trip as a few times i got distracted by a few class c campers! it was a fun and informative day.
bls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:29 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Closest to CT is Hershey... we go almost every year. It is advertised as the "next year's models" show with a peek at the new units and new features.

Prices are the best I've seen, lots of choices, but not a huge number of Class Bs.

Worth a trip! We took a few friends two years ago and they ended up with a big 5th wheel...
proeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:43 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiClassB17 View Post
If you are looking for a Class B you should consider the Class B only show that occurs in the late spring in Phoenix AZ. You will see all models in one place. I think La Mesa RV sponsors it.

Check out coverage on YouTube. The Wendland cover it on their Roadtreking channel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls View Post
I attended the Hershey show last year and bought my carado banff there. show prices are usually significantly below mspr and even then, they are negotiable. i downloaded the exhibit map, circled all of the class b dealers and visited each one. it was an all-day trip as a few times i got distracted by a few class c campers! it was a fun and informative day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by proeddie View Post
Closest to CT is Hershey... we go almost every year. It is advertised as the "next year's models" show with a peek at the new units and new features.

Prices are the best I've seen, lots of choices, but not a huge number of Class Bs.

Worth a trip! We took a few friends two years ago and they ended up with a big 5th wheel...

Welcome all to the forum!

Good information. Much appreciated.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:26 PM   #10

Fretz RV is dealer there for Road Treks. We went to last year's show. They were very nice, well informed. Would have probably bought from them right then if we were ready. Ended up buying a 2018 SS Agile much closer to home.
MaxCapacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:52 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxCapacity View Post
Fretz RV is dealer there for Road Treks. We went to last year's show. They were very nice, well informed. Would have probably bought from them right then if we were ready. Ended up buying a 2018 SS Agile much closer to home.
Welcome to the forum MaxCapacity!

There's a bunch of new members this week. Good news for the forum. The more the merrier.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:41 AM   #12

We went to the Pamona show two years ago and will go again this year. It hadn't been all that long since Hymer had bought out RoadTrek but still had a pretty decent showing. I would expect to see a lot more B options this year. Winnebago was there with their Class B's and small class C's. The Fit RV was there as well working with the Winnebago. Saw their yellow Travato (Lance) in the parking lot.

We have family in southern CA so that makes Pamona a no brainer for us. Haven't been to any other big shows. The local shows we've been to have been a waste of time. Filled with big 5th wheels, Class A's and big Class C's.
MarionSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:22 PM   #13

Thought I was reading about me! VW Westfalia , check,tent camper, check, CR-V Camping, check...I’ll just add motorcycle and a Sandpiper Camper.
What was already said about the focus on Trailers, A & Cs is spot on, but you can get a lot of ideas by checking those out. I’m on my 5th custom build “C” and also own a “B” unit for pleasure. I’ve ordered two 2018 Sprinter 2500s and two 2019 Sprinter 3500s to be custom built for my business. Many of my ideas came from the larger units as well as boats and corporate jets. Take pictures talk with the many available upfitters and create your own.
Enjoy the journey!
Dan680fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:04 AM   #14
Gold Member

For all the Inquiries from Texas, the closest SUPERSHOW is in Tampa, FL, held every year in January. All of the major Players in the B Market are well represented, showcasing most of the different Models available. Great place to compare and gather info. I attended the Tampa and Hershey Shows a few times, then found my B
angelmroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:25 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Thanks angelmroman. Much appreciated.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:57 PM   #16
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzW View Post
My wife and I are retiring this year, and planning for life after retirement. Traveling in a Class B has been in our plans for a number of years, so I have been a long-term lurker on this forum, gathering as much information as I can. Even though I think we have a good idea what we're looking for, we haven't actually shopped or looked at any Class B's in person.

FYI, we owned a VW Westfalia 1984-88 and traveled all over the U.S. and Canada. Have also owned a tent camper and Class C since the Westfalia. Car camping in the Honda CR-V more recently, so we're looking to upgrade.

I know that there are RV SuperShows in Hershey, Tampa, Pomona, etc. I'm looking for recommendations on which SuperShow to attend to get the best overview and perhaps the best deal. Thanks.
Ive been to the Tampa Show twice and loved it
A lot of fun and quite entertaining with bands and parades walking around the Show
I also went to the Hershey Show which was also huge
Just wasn’t crazy having to walk down all those stairs to get to the merchandise
TRFranta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:06 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Default Good deals can be had at the show...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFranta View Post
Ive been to the Tampa Show twice and loved it
A lot of fun and quite entertaining with bands and parades walking around the Show
I also went to the Hershey Show which was also huge
Just wasn’t crazy having to walk down all those stairs to get to the merchandise
We were offered a $18, 000 discount at one of the shows..... still very EXPENSIVE.....

Didn't want to spend $143,000.....

Talk with people about the arrangements..... they really want to sell you a unit...

Good luck....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:43 PM   #18
Bronze Member

Went to the Pomona show last year and bought our PleasureWay there.

As others have mentioned, this show (and others) is less than 10% class B. However, all of the major class B players were there, and most had factory reps, not just dealers, so getting straight answers was easy. If you're looking to compare brands and models, you can do a pretty thorough job in a day or two.

I did find that using the show map to make a plan was essential, as the class B's will be scattered around the huge show. If walking is a challenge, they have golf carts that can take you from place to place.

This year's show (Oct 5 to 14) will include Airstream, Chinook, Hymer, Midwest, Pleasure Way, Rev, Sportsmobile, and Winnebago.
Neals384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:54 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum Neals384!

Thanks for the RV show info.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:59 PM   #20

Thanks Neals. Pomona is closest to us, so that's where we're going.
FritzW is offline   Reply With Quote