Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2021, 05:35 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default RV Stabilizers-- Does Anyone Use Them?

Hi Everybody,

In an advertisement sent me by Marcus's company I see an RV Stabilizer that will stop the swaying and rocking caused by moving around in my Class B. Looks like a pair of them, situated front and back, would do the job. They generate lifting force through the use of a ratchet strap.

My van doesn't have leveling jacks, and I understand M-B didn't allow them on T1Ns. While this isn't a major problem, not being awaked in the middle of the night when the van moves would be welcome.

Has anyone tried these? Are they worth the problem of storing them when not in use?
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:30 PM   #2
Platinum Member

For those (like me) that had no idea what it is, here's a photo...
Marcus Stabilizer.jpg

There isn't much clearance under my Chevy, nor many places where the bar can make unobstructed contact with something substantial enough to bear weight. It only limits movement on one axis. Also seems like it would get really dirty and involve a fair bit of crawling around on the ground to deploy and remove. None of which is particularly appealing to me.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:49 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post

My van doesn't have leveling jacks, and I understand M-B didn't allow them on T1Ns. ...
T1N owner here. We don't have leveling jacks, but FWIW, we recently added Sumo springs front and rear. Those are not primarily intended to be stabilizers per se, but they do suppress a lot of the motion experienced while parked.

That motion never bothered me, but my husband did not like it. For instance if our dog got up middle of the night to stretch and re-twirl to lay back down again, the van would shimmy. It's much less so now.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:01 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Thanks for your replies, and Jon, thanks for posting the picture. I think I'll pass on these and put up with the van's movement.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:03 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I'll take a look at the Sumo Springs.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:32 PM   #6
Silver Member

I use the one Jon has pictured, putting the feet on the small plastic pads used otherwise for light leveling. I place one stabilizer under the rear hitch bar and tighten it up. It makes a huge difference in how much the van moves when we're in bed or just walking around. I know a few people who put them under a side area to control front/back motion but that's never a big thing for me. I have a few buddies who use the same on their pull campers.

The bar is easy to put up, take down and only gets dirty if I skip the pads on mud. If we're using the van as a camper (vs travel van) it's always packed.
BrianCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:51 PM   #7

I use one of these in the rear, it installs in just a few minutes and makes a big difference. I have another unit for the front, but that require crawling to ensure it is placed on the front framing. Not worth the effort or getting that gritty.
chrisbcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:11 PM   #8

Does the generator interfere?
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:12 PM   #9

Yes, but I do have to shift the position well past the generator, close to the front wheel mounting points. You want to be careful on the the stabilizer is contacting.
chrisbcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:25 AM   #10
Silver Member

We also did the Sumo Springs on our MB chassis and it did a world of good.
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 11:03 AM   #11
Bronze Member

We lived on a boat for 7 years. The movement in our van is minimal in comparison. Although we always found the boat movement somewhat comforting.
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote