Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2019, 10:36 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default RV Toll Pass

https://www.motor1.com/news/385308/r...wide-coverage/
TygerMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
Gold Member

Saw this on FB too. Anybody use it? Seems too good to be true.
mikeehlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:17 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeehlert View Post
Saw this on FB too. Anybody use it? Seems too good to be true.

What is the cost of the service, beyond the tolls themselves?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #4
Site Team

I believe it is $15/month, but only for months in which you register at least one toll. Plus, you have to purchase the device for a bit under $100.

Not too good to be true, but probably makes sense for some people.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:17 PM   #5
Platinum Member

This is not just an RV issue or unique. There have been efforts to have nationwide for years but progress has been slow.

Here is a news item from last year that is good summary of issues.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...le/1443102002/

There are others that claim to have nation-wide toll transponders, like this with similar fees:
https://www.nationalpass.net/

Here is an organization that is trying to get harmony among tolling states.
Home - ATI
Old 12-04-2019, 07:03 PM   #6

If most of your travel is on the east coast, Epass Plus in Florida is good in 18 States. One time purchase of under $20 then just pay tolls.

I am probably getting the one mentioned in this post too, but will only need it when going west.
GyroJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:38 PM   #7
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe

I bought a Maryland EZpass. Was told by Maryland M.V.A. it would not work in Florida as they have Sun Pass. I go thru 2 Florida tolls and was told I have to pay. Ok, was told this no worries. I then find out money was deducted from my Maryland EZPASS! A friend of mine has both passes. He was told the same thing. Finds out his Florida and Maryland pass were both charged in Florida. What gives?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:33 AM   #8
Silver Member

I just found out today while attempting to pay a cash toll in Florida that EZpass does work on certain Florida toll roads but not on others. It depends on the agency collecting the tolls.

After the toll collector informed me the EZpass worked at their booth I pulled away and saw a sign that said EZpass was not accepted from that toll booth forward, talk about confusing..
Old 12-14-2019, 04:25 AM   #9
Platinum Member

EZ Pass only works on CFX(E Pass) tollways in and around Orlando. Most tollways have intermingled Sun Pass(FLA Turnpike Authrity) and E Pass(CFX) in the Orlando area. I think all of them are mixed except the 408 and 451(CFX, E Pass) and the FLA Turnpike(Sun Pass). 417, 429, and 528 are a blend. Then there is the Osceola Parkway which is run by some other goofy(it is near Disney) tollway authority. Truly, what a mess.

I believe the most drama free way to handle this mess is to drop the EZ Pass in your current state and get an E Pass extra. It works on Ez Pass, GA each Pass, NC tollways and all FLA tolls except I think there is one bridge that it does not work on, south of St. Augustine heading to the barrier islands. Not sure. The transponder costs $20 and is portable. There is no monthly fee. Minimum balance is $10 along with the same for replenishment. Of course they can raise those if you average more than that in a month on a recurring basis. You do not have to be a FLA resident to get an E Pass account, I think. The toll discounts are substantial off of cash price.

I was in touch with SunPass last week and they still have no idea when(if?) they will have reciprocity with EZ Pass. I've had the Sun Pass since '06 on all my vehicles. I dropped the Roadtrek and the trailer that I pull behind it from Sun Pass in favor of the EPass extra as those are the only vehicles aside from a motorcycle that we travel in. The transponder for E Pass extra is portable so I can move it to the bike if I want.

What a royal PItA.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 04:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
EZ Pass only works on CFX(E Pass) tollways in and around Orlando. Most tollways have intermingled Sun Pass(FLA Turnpike Authrity) and E Pass(CFX) in the Orlando area. I think all of them are mixed except the 408 and 451(CFX, E Pass) and the FLA Turnpike(Sun Pass). 417, 429, and 528 are a blend. Then there is the Osceola Parkway which is run by some other goofy(it is near Disney) tollway authority. Truly, what a mess.

I believe the most drama free way to handle this mess is to drop the EZ Pass in your current state and get an E Pass extra. It works on Ez Pass, GA each Pass, NC tollways and all FLA tolls except I think there is one bridge that it does not work on, south of St. Augustine heading to the barrier islands. Not sure. The transponder costs $20 and is portable. There is no monthly fee. Minimum balance is $10 along with the same for replenishment. Of course they can raise those if you average more than that in a month on a recurring basis. You do not have to be a FLA resident to get an E Pass account, I think. The toll discounts are substantial off of cash price.

I was in touch with SunPass last week and they still have no idea when(if?) they will have reciprocity with EZ Pass. I've had the Sun Pass since '06 on all my vehicles. I dropped the Roadtrek and the trailer that I pull behind it from Sun Pass in favor of the EPass extra as those are the only vehicles aside from a motorcycle that we travel in. The transponder for E Pass extra is portable so I can move it to the bike if I want.

What a royal PItA.
Ez pass works on all sunpass roads.Ezpass plus works in 18 staes.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:29 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroJoe View Post
I was under the impression that that EZ Pass would not work on SunPass. I do know that as of about a week and a half ago that SunPass will not work on EZ Pass tolls, only FL, NC, and GA. The person at SunPass had no idea when they would get the EZ Pass option.

E Pass(from CFX toll authority, basically the Orlando area) does work virtually everywhere in FLA. E Pass Extra works in all EZ Pass states as well as virtually all of FLA.

Perhaps you have confused E Pass(CFX) with EZ Pass from most of the NE and midwest? I am not familiar with the EZ Pass plus, but I do not live in an EZ Pass available state and have not dealt with any of those states.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #12

Quote:

I mispoke, Epass and E pass plus are the transponders i meant to refer too.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:06 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
I mispoke, Epass and E pass plus are the transponders i meant to refer too.
I didn't mean to "call you out".

It does get to be confusing, no doubt.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I didn't mean to "call you out".

It does get to be confusing, no doubt.
I thought you were very polite and civil. Odd for the internet.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #15
Platinum Member

One other thing with SunPass. If your vehicle is registered on a SunPass account and you do not have your transponder with you, they will look for your vehicle (car, trailer, or ??) in there data base before issuing a violation. The discounts still work on all tollways here. I almost never have my transponder with me. This works on both CFX and SunPass tollways.

One may be able to travel the tollways in FLA with their home state EZ Pass and a vehicle registered to SunPass but not carrying the SunPass transponder. I think it would be prudent to verify with the various agencies to see if this will work. My thinking is that CFX will not look for a SunPass account if an EZ Pass transponder triggers the toll collection. Again, I think verification would be prudent and keep an eye on the statements.

Sorta related:

I was looking at tolls for the Tappan Zee bridge and they show different tolls for EZ Pass depending on vehicle height. I assume the toll is collected via open road tolling, i.e. not at a stop and pay booth. Does anyone know if they differentiate for out of state EZ Pass holders on this or other tolls? Not a deal breaker on traveling there, just curious.