Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2022, 03:15 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default RV Top Section Wrapped

Someone asked me to post a picture. I was going to get the fiberglass roof painted (Rest of chassis still looks decent) but opted for a wrap job. Paint would have been $2700, and the wrap cost me $1500. I'm still up in the air, but a few of my neighbors happened to walk by while I was putting my 100 watt solar back up (It sits just above the windshield when parked. Up down in 1 minute) and commented how nice it looks. Hoping it'll grow on me. Definitely better than the faded top section due to So California sun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV Wrap.jpg (72.9 KB, 139 views)
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:44 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Can you tell us more about what a wrap job is? I've never heard of it. How long will it last?
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:06 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Vinyl wrapping last about 5-7 years. Basically it's like a giant decal, for lack of a better description. It's very common to have auto roofs & top sections, (Hood trunk) here in So California get wrapped, because the sun just kills the paint job. It's cheaper than a paint job, looks great, but I don't think it'll hold up like a paint job. This will be removed in about 4-5 years when I get the entire RV painted. The top section just really looked bad and I tried everything to remove oxidation etc., to no avail.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:09 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
Vinyl wrapping last about 5-7 years. Basically it's like a giant decal, for lack of a better description. It's very common to have auto roofs & top sections, (Hood trunk) here in So California get wrapped, because the sun just kills the paint job. It's cheaper than a paint job, looks great, but I don't think it'll hold up like a paint job. This will be removed in about 4-5 years when I get the entire RV painted. The top section just really looked bad and I tried everything to remove oxidation etc., to no avail.
Looks very good! Did you consider white? I camp in hot places and heat is more of an issue than cold.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:15 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
in 2015, prior to our trip to Alaska, we decided to protect our RT by wrapping the front hood, front side panels, headlights and front chrome bumper (areas that receive the greatest number of rock hits during road trips). The wraps did take several rock hits during the Alaska trip, preventing damage to paint, glass and chrome. The protection continues, and it is still possible to see the difference (extra shine) on the wrapped areas v.s. the unwrapped area. Chances are it is also helping to block UV damage to our RT which is outside year round. After seven years there is no wrap yellowing or separating. We also completely wrapped our new black passenger vehicle. The vehicle is now five years old and still looks like new. BTW ... The wrap also protects against paint swirls that often occur from washing vehicles.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:24 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakegw2 View Post
Can you tell us more about what a wrap job is? I've never heard of it. How long will it last?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
Looks very good! Did you consider white? I camp in hot places and heat is more of an issue than cold.
I did consider white, but I was able to color a photo and it just didn't look right. I agree, living in So Cal to the east, it gets very hot, but when I'm in it, I'm traveling, so not an issue, and when I'm not moving, I'm either in a cooler area, like the ocean, or plugged in if it's hot and the roof AC is on. I also have solar, 100 watt, that I take up and down, so the fan is always running if hot and it never gets too bad while parked and I'm not in it. I guess a good example is, get into a parked white car or black car when the temp is 100 and they are both hot. LOL
Old 05-08-2022, 04:05 PM   #7
Silver Member

FYI The paint job on all NASCAR CUP Series race cars are "wrapped". See demo.
Bobow is offline   Reply With Quote