Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2015, 06:20 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Re: RVs for Tall People

FWIW, Advanced RV has ordered the super-high roof Sprinter 3500 Ext for a customer ... but MB didn't ship the super high roof unit; instead they shipped a regular high roof. My point is that the super high roof Sprinters are on their way to the North American up fitters sooner than later.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:55 PM   #22
Platinum Member

The Sprinter super-high roof is non-structural so will present some design problems. Roadtrek's experimental RVs without rooftop air conditioning might be a precursor to solving problems. Mikes47, your ARV railing that fastens your solar panels would allow lifts above the roof for holding solar panels and other roof items. If they figure it out it could be a solution for those over 6'-3" in height. What Sprinter needs to do is create a super-high roof that is modular and instead of being all the way from front to back just be where you need it.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:03 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Here is a view of that mounting rail that Davydd is referring to.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Imagine-Roof-pdf.pdf (1.42 MB, 89 views)
Old 07-02-2015, 04:40 AM   #24
Platinum Member

I got asked about RVs with twin beds, so here's another table. As before, these are RVs that are 25' or less with:
- The inside Height = 75" or more
- Both refrigerator and microwave raised (These motorhomes have raised refrigerators and microwaves that are not under the countertop on the floor. A tall person would have to get on their hands and knees to use undercounter appliances.)

They're sorted by class, then the ones with the tallest inside height and longest beds are listed first. If the AC is ducted or in the rear of the coach, the main height is used. If the location of the AC is above the galley or where it may get in the way, it's noted.

All information is based on the manufacturers' numbers.

Notes:
*Inside height on vans with the Mega-Roof is estimated.
**This can be specified by the customer.
Attached Images
File Type: png Twin Bed RVs for Tall People.png (84.3 KB, 41 views)
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:23 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Advanced RV basically now has two models, the Ocean (22'-9" long Sprinter) and Ocean One (24'-1" long Sprinter). The basic design has a freezer door above the toe space floor and a refrigerator above. The microwave/convection oven is above the refrigerator at average eye height.

Interior height is 6'-3" but they are developing a Super-high Sprinter design.

Almost all Advanced RV beds are custom. They do have a standard Tri-fold sofa but that can also be extended in length. I have custom designed electrically operated articulated beds also commonly known as hospital beds or operable beds both at head and at legs that Temperpedic and Sleep Number beds advertise for high end beds. They are 28" wide twin beds at the legs and full width of the van at waist up. The mattresses are 75" long and the passenger side has a 6" extension at the foot of the bed.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:13 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Thanks for the info and update, Davydd! Do they have measurements on the Mega-Roof models yet? I'm really looking forward to those vans.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:07 PM   #27
Platinum Member

The Advanced RV Super-high roof model is but one and mostly custom I believe. They haven't completed it yet to my knowledge and nothing has been said about its design. I do know one thing. In its raw form straight from Mercedes Benz it is about 7 feet high give or take inside. I was inside it and that is about my standing hand over head reach.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Davydd,

My information is very old but early thoughts were to build a truss system to support the roof. The A/C would be ducted and the space around the ducts would be filled with foam.

After figuring out your articulating bed design, I guess Mike needs another design challenge.
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:56 PM   #29

Default Driver legroom

The info here is great. Does anyone have info on driver legroom for a tall driver? My experience “trying on” class Bs is that driver legroom is prohibitive for a 6’8 driver.
UncleBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:24 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBig View Post
The info here is great. Does anyone have info on driver legroom for a tall driver? My experience “trying on” class Bs is that driver legroom is prohibitive for a 6’8 driver.

Welcome to the forum UncleBig!

You resurrected a zombie thread last posted to in '2015.

Still, it has good information for tall travelers. You certainly qualify. You can get an 80" long bed, but unfortunately, you'll be ducking in anything but a pricey Advanced RV extra tall Sprinter or a class "c".
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:40 PM   #31

I don’t mind ducking. Class Bs seem set up best for sitting and laying. I can stand erect outside. It’s the driver legroom I’m concerned with. Can’t imagine driving more than a few miles in a new Travato, for example.
UncleBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:07 AM   #32
Silver Member

I have been thinking of replacing my Sprinter with a gas powered Transit or PRomaster based rv. Well after visiting a dealer and sitting it both the transit and promaster I can say the Sprinter by far and away has the most room in the driver seat .

IF your a big person the Sprinter offers the most room and comfort by far. I wanted to get away from the diesel and it's emission problems but the trade off is not worth it to me. I will stick with the Sprinter..for now..
Old 08-30-2018, 03:12 AM   #33
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy View Post
I'm in the process of putting together a database of Class B and Class C RVs that can accommodate someone 6' 2" tall who doesn't curl up to sleep. Here's what I've found so far. I hope to find more. Mercedes will soon be offering a Sprinter with a roof that's 4-6 inches taller than the high-top, so this list will change.

These are RVs with:
- Inside Height = 75" or more
- Bed Length = 75" or more
- Bed Width = 54" or more
- Both refrigerator and microwave raised (These motorhomes have raised refrigerators and microwaves that are not under the countertop on the floor. A tall person would have to get on their hands and knees to use undercounter appliances.)

They're sorted by class, then the ones with the tallest inside height and longest beds are listed first. If the AC is ducted or in the rear of the coach, the main height is used. If the location of the AC is above the galley or where it may get in the way, it's noted.

Notes on the table:
Class B = Van Conversion
Class C = Cab/Frame Conversion (Some folks may classify some of these as Class B+)

*The inside height listed is with the pop-up top fully expanded, with no bed in the loft. It's built on a standard roof Sprinter and is 70" high inside with the pop-top down. The height of the door may be a problem, since it's only the height of the standard roof Sprinter.

**These are specified by the customer.

***The location of the AC may interfere with inside height.

****The size of the Unity bed is with the insert, converting its twin beds to one larger bed. It also can be used sleeping sideways, making the bed 88" x 76".
It's such a good news for the tall people who wants to make himself comfortable in the RVs.
Monica998 is offline   Reply With Quote