Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2020, 02:04 AM   #1

Default Sabbatical Travel

Hello all. Newbie here.

My wife and I are seriously considering a 3-6 month road trip as our son's school is contemplating moving to online learning until Jan or maybe the rest of the year. I already work remote and my wife only works 2 days/week. It is important we have enough room to work when not driving but we're at a crossroads on what type of RV to research. It would be my wife, 15-year old son and our 12lb dog in addition to me.

If you're already doing this, I'd love to hear your advice.
Thanks,
Bryan
Christiansailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:32 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum!

I'm gonna cast my vote for a class C if I was in your situation. Probably double the living space for less money. Not as convenient to drive or park, but plenty of people do it. And you're not going for stealth camping anyway.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:40 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Welcome to the forum!

And you're not going for stealth camping anyway.
If you are going to work remotely and have a kid conducting online education you definitely are not going to do much "stealth" camping in off-grid locations. We have sought out camping deliberately since March away from people to stay isolated as much as possible from the hidden enemy and that has led us more non-cellular areas and definitely no WiFi access. That is something to think about in your planning and it doesn't affect what kind of RV you desire but it tilts the scale in priorities and advantages.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:41 PM   #4
Platinum Member

ditto- camping and connectivity barely overlap on venn diagram

there are threads on antenna systems and mifis and etc

Digital radio requires directional - almost line of sight

and checking your email in a mcdonalds parking lot scan be hard enough- for get steaming video

class B's advantages are ease of parking, driving and MPG
the highest cost per sq ft.

as above a class C may be more suited

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:09 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Where I have camped lately mifis and antennas and boosters would just be a waste of money. Satellite systems maybe. We needed Serius/XM radio to keep in touch with the world. That I will give you.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:42 AM   #6
Platinum Member

There is also something in between Class B & C, called the B+, also as an option.

Or a Class A.

If you have always lived in a traditional house, there is going to be a period of adjustment, even if you moved to a Class A.

No-one has mentioned it yet but if you dont need the latest & greatest & you can find a reliable unit, your upfront cost might be less than a used Class B.

Maintenance costs are going to be higher & running costs but this isn'ta 10 year deal but a six month road trip that might end up being a year or more.

The key is knowing a reputable RV mechanic with high integrity who will do a thorough examination of any Class B, B+, C models & especially an older, bigger but more livable Class A.

While the Class B & Van Life Market is hot right now, the Class A is less so.

What a wonderful time for you & your family, this experience can be pivotal in the lives of all of you & probably the best educational experience available to a 15 year old.

See you on the road ...
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:57 AM   #7
Platinum Member

You might enjoy this article...

Tour a camper van where a couple is raising three children - Insider
https://www.insider.com/tour-camper-...of-five-2020-9
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote