Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2022, 08:03 PM   #1

Default Safe to service my AC on the roof of a Coachmen Beyond?

Hi, (Apologies in advance if this is a silly question.)
We just got back from a very hot trip to Texas and New Mexico (crazy, I know) and naturally we made liberal use of our ProAir 12V AC. It worked very well for the first couple of weeks then we noticed some internal dripping from the vents. Our assumption, based on some reading and viewing of videos, is that this is due to the clogging of the drain pan on our rooftop unit. So we want to get up there, and dismantle as much as we need to in order to clean the pan and, hopefully, clear out anything that was clogging the drain holes. A couple of questions:
* Is clogging likely to be the cause of our dripping?
* If so, is it safe to stand on the Beyond roof in order to get the shell off the ProAir unit and clean as needed? I've seen folks on the roof of other RVs but I want to be sure that the Beyond is sturdy enough.
(BTW, if we knew a Beyond repair guy we trust in the Raleigh NC area we'd gladly let her do the work, but after a year with the Beyond, we haven't come close to finding a local competent repair shop.)
Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
-Dave
DaveMcArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:04 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Hello and Welcome

I have a pleasure way with a fiberglass roof.

I am heavier than most, if i am on the roof I try to spread out the weight, like an ice fisherman in April

depending on where I am I may put down a thick cloth ( scratches) and then put plywood over that to distribute my weight.

for some tasks I use a ladder against the van with pads to protect the van.

when I re-sealed my roof I did much of the work through the removed vent hole standing on a stool- i could reach almost everything. then I replaced the vent

as far as dripping my owners manual says to never park nose down as water can pool near my ac and leak in
sometimes drain tubes/hoses become a home for wasps who might drag in mud and leaves

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 12:29 PM   #3
Platinum Member

As far as I know, I on a Transit roof, you have to use something to spread your weight over an area or the roof might dent. I would not stand or walk upright.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:13 PM   #4

Thanks much for your guidance. It seems like the consensus is to spread your weight while tinkering, so we'll try that. I'm hopeful that we can quickly clean out any clogging we have and then resume regular use of our AC. The manufacturer (ProAir) also recommends cleaning at least once a year, so getting on the roof is going to be a regular, if rare event.
DaveMcArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 02:20 PM   #5
Platinum Member

This is a large group of Coachmen class B owners, many of them Beyond owners. The group freely shares info. Joining the group will likely enhance your Beyond ownership.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cgbnop

Tags
air conditioner leaks, coachmen beyond