Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2016, 01:33 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Safety !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi all, I have a question about safety like at night when we are sleeping in our camper i feel a little scare that someone might break in or something , so it is hard to fall asleep its like i have to keep one eye open even if we are in a campground . I was thinking Maybe its because i am new at this . I just don't feel safe like i do in a house. I was thinking is it legal to have a shotgun in your camper for protection? What do your think?
Thanks, John
machado11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:46 PM   #2
Platinum Member

turn off the TV news.

when you turn in- lock the doors
you can use exterior lighting.

if you don;t feel safe, leave the area.
don;t stay in place and take up weapons.

if you really really cant get over this aprehension, use a hotel when traveling.

I'd be more worried about a campground neighbor armed and nervous than the "escaped convict" or other boogieman

legalities aside, take something the same size and weight of a shotgun and try to manouver inside a campervan.

maybe because I'm Canadian, but I want to be able to be welcoming and open- esp in a camping situation where we can benefit by sharing experiences with people we may not normally meet.
recent study and my own observations show that minority races are more and more getting out and making use of outdoor recreation.
if you explore the Country( ies) and know it, you will feel more a part.

it bothers me that in my own neighborhood ( PHX), it is not safe for me to knock on a door should a neighbor leave the lights on in their car...

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
turn off the TV news.

when you turn in- lock the doors

if you don;t feel safe, leave the area.
don;t stay in place and take up weapons.

if you really really cant get over this aprehension, use a hotel when traveling.

I'd be more worried about a campground neighbor armed and nervous than the "escaped convict" or other boogieman
Hear hear. If people start keeping loaded shotguns in their rigs, then I'm going to start losing sleep.

Honestly, I think you are right that you are mostly just experiencing an unfamiliar situation. New backpackers often experience the same thing. With a little familiarity, you will earn the "Freedom of the Hills".
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I found the majority of RV'ers I've run into on a cross country trip, were armed, except the Canadians. FYI, if you backpack in then beautiful redwoods in northern ca, be prepare for the mexican and russian mafia, tweakers, and the more than 1000 illegal grows throughout this area the state and feds turn a blind eye too. They are very well armed and have increased our violent crime rate where it has been falling everywhere else. I legally carry a pistol when traveling in certain areas and carry bear spray in Yellowstone park. I'm too old to be a victim.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:50 PM   #5
Site Team

Oh oh.

Putting my moderator's hat on, I am close to deleting my own post. I think we are OK so far, since safety and the pragmatics of RVing with guns are in themselves fair game. But lets not let it drift into gun politics.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:05 PM   #6
Platinum Member

In answering the original question, while traveling you must store the weapon per the laws of the state you are in. Once you set up camp, it changes and becomes your home with the same fire arm rights. Weather or not to carry a weapon is your choice, if you are uncomfortable and have no experiance with fire arms I would suggest a can of pepper spray.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:26 PM   #7
Platinum Member

You should find that other campers are respectful and friendly. Most are very willing to talk about their units and experiences. As well, most are willing to help you out if you need a hand.

This is similar to what I've found with other hunters, boaters and fishers. It's a kind of community. Of course within any community are the bad apples.

Location also matters. If you're camping out in the bush then you're basically on your own. At a WalMart you may be with others who share your concerns, but you are close to urban areas where people may see you as a target, rather than a fellow camper. In a campground you are with like minded individuals who are concerned about the same things as you.

Make sure your curtains are drawn, windows are up and all your doors are locked. My job has taught me that anything can happen at any location at any time. Yes there are places that are safer, but there is no one place that is guaranteed to be 100% safe.

Armed? That's up to you. Armed with what? Again up to you. I've seen people arm themselves with;
firearm - killed with their own gun
fire extinguisher - possibly corrosive, depends on type. Big mess
taser - possibly illegal, possibly lethal
baseball bats - beaten with their own bat
knife - stitches required after cutting themselves
pepper/bear spray - decontamination required before they could re-enter their home

Perhaps the best thing you could do, would be to go with someone else. When we go out camping we typically have anywhere from 3-5 units and 5-12 people.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:36 PM   #8
Platinum Member

It's really sad so many people have this fear. It's egged on by politics and night-time TV dramas. The reality across the nation is that crime is down, violet crime in particular. There's hardly any place you can go that isn't under camera surveillance.

If you think about risk, staying in your fixed address or a hotel room is far more dangerous that traveling. When you are at home, the criminals would know where you are, and probably what you have. They know they have likely easy targets in hotels to as hotel guests most likely are traveling light without weapons.

When you are travelling in your RV, they don't know who is in there, or who the neighbors are. You can't "case" an RV or a campground, as everything is constantly changing. Chance of detection is extremely high.

As far as boondocking goes, just use some common sense. Find your spot before dark. Look for places with activity and lighting. Carry a weapon if you want, but I've never seen the need and I need the space for more "useful" items.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:56 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post

pepper/bear spray - decontamination required before they could re-enter their home
Again, "per the laws of the state you are in" is very good advice. While pepper or bear spray may be allowed in the states, sometimes there are restrictions on the size of canister.

As for Canada, pepper spray (and mace, etc.) - from my research for a recent Canada trip - ".......that is designed to be used for the purpose of injuring, immobilizing or otherwise incapacitating a person is prohibited according to the Criminal Code of Canada." Bear spray (or dog spray) is allowed but only for protecting yourself from animals not humans. If you are caught using bear spray like a traditional pepper spray you can be criminally charged.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:04 PM   #10
Platinum Member

There's hardly any place you can go that isn't under camera surveillance?
Have ever been to the western half of the US?
Old 10-22-2016, 05:22 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
There's hardly any place you can go that isn't under camera surveillance?
Have ever been to the western half of the US?

LOL. The wilderness is not under cameras - not yet anyway (unless you count the google satellites). But most all of the commercial areas you would stop would be.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:51 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
LOL. The wilderness is not under cameras - not yet anyway
You might be surprised how well-covered railroad rights-of-way are, even in the middle of nowhere.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:19 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I can understand those who think owning a firearm is silly, especially those who live in densely populated areas. I live in a little coastal town of 10k three blocks from main street, I have an neighbor two blocks away who complains about the bears going into his trash bins and people have to worry about mountain lions snacking on their pets.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:22 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Proportionality

In self-defense cases, the amount of force employed by the defender must be proportionate to the threatened aggressive force.

RV Park Surrounded by Other Campers
When All Else Fails!! RV Defender Version 2.0123

ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:01 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I'm behind the times, I took my gun safety course the last year of elementary school, now they teach the kids how to put a condom on a banana. Rv parks are quite safe, but isn't the idea of having a class B is to venture out away from the typical RV'ers?
Old 10-22-2016, 10:03 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm behind the times, I took my gun safety course the last year of elementary school, now they teach the kids how to put a condom on a banana. Rv parks are quite safe, but isn't the idea of having a class B is to venture out away from the typical RV'ers?
Oh hell, I set a bunch of bananas out on the counter this morning with no protection! I better go count them...
Old 10-22-2016, 10:34 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
I can understand those who think owning a firearm is silly, especially those who live in densely populated areas. I live in a little coastal town of 10k three blocks from main street, I have an neighbor two blocks away who complains about the bears going into his trash bins and people have to worry about mountain lions snacking on their pets.
Nothing like being in a rural part of the country in a house by yourself on a large plot of land and three big guys emerge from the woods roaming around your property at night.

A can of bear repellent and bright flashlight simply won't cut it.

The shock of bright lights coming on followed by a shotgun round fired into the air makes 'fellows' honor NO TRESSPASSING ALLOWED.

Life is not fair. Firearm safety classes and continued training make the difference.

To work all your life, save for retirement, and have it all taken from you is too high a price to pay
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:28 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Most of the folks these days would only use a bright flashlight an threaten them with global warming. Bear repellant might endanger the insects.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:12 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Nothing makes bad guys soils their pants faster than the sound of a shotgun being racked in the dark around the corner.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:29 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Just stay in RV parks until you get comfortable. Check the site reviews and areas where the parks are and you should be fine.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote