Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2019, 12:45 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Not sure about using Star San in an RV.

I am an enthusiastic home-brewer and do use it all the time as I believe most home brewers do.

But we don't drink the stuff!

Typically we would mix up a five gallon bucket full of water with 1 ounce of Star San and re- use this santising solution over and over to sanitise all of our brewing equipments, be it it fermenting vessels, hoses, utensils kegs, bottles etc.

You know when it is time to discard it and micx up a new batch once the pH has risen from an initial level of 2.5 to about 3.5

From my home brew supplier a 4 oz bottle costs about $6.50 Can (less per ounce if you buy larger bottles. You add 1 oz to 5 gallons of water to make your sanitising solution and typically can re-use it for months.

As they say, any residue left on your equipment does not have to be rinsed. I creates quite a lot of foam but their motto is "Don't fear the foam!" In other words after sanitising - let's say - a fermenting vessel you can go ahead and use it with foam left in it and just add your wort and yeast to start producing beer. In fact they say the yeast likes the stuff.

But we don't make our beer with star san-laced water! At most we may introduce a little foam!

They do emphasise that whatever you want to sanitise must first be scrupulously clean or the sanitiser cannot do its job - ie no dried residue etc that might harbor moulds, vifuses etc.

I suppose that if you had a 35 gallon fresh water tank, you could mix up 35 gallons of star sand solution using 35/5 = 7 oz,of star san in order to completely fill the tank, let is sit in th tank a few minutes the pump it through the system.

But .....

Would you then save the 35 gallons of solution for re-use as we home brewers do or dump it, A bit expensive if you dump it.

To follow Star san's instructions how would you ensure your system is thoroughly cleaned before attempting to sanitise with Star San? could there be mould etc in your fresh water tank?

Overall I think that although I love Star San for my brewing and am never without a five gallon bucket full of the mixed solution, I don't know that it is practical for RV use.

I don't believe the company advertise it for that sort of application.

Just my $0.02 ! ................. Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote