Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2023, 03:38 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
I'm sure I'll be a winterizing expert by next fall....heading south for 3 months but Nov in ND...gonna freeze.
LOL... I started out going south for 3 months, but when I realized that I would invariably get snowed on both ways - usually in Valentine, NE, since I ran down 83 to Oklahoma - it wasn't many years before I was leaving in early Oct and coming back in early May.

Be sure to confirm the winterizing method for the Truma. I've never had one, but there are types that you must keep it out of the water heater and others that must have the pink stuff in it for protection. Over on my regular facebook page we have Suburbans, Girards, Truma, and Alde. All are different. Truma must have manuals on line if you didn't get one with the rig, which you should have... of course.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 07:25 PM   #42
Bronze Member

Yea, thanks. I've heard this Truma described both ways so I have to figure out what I have. I know I have a bypass for it but it isn't clear exactly the procedure. Another thing for the warranty list when it goes in on the 15th. I confirmed this weekend that for sure, the solar is not charging the batteries. Creating power but it isn't going anywhere so added that to the list as well.

We did get the cell booster installed and it works. Well. Ended up with the Weboost Drive for the RV and since there isn't a slide, slipped the cable in the back door right near the hinge. Little tiny mark on the cable but that shouldn't bother it. I had to put the internal booster way up near the front but it sits perfect in the cubby over by the door. Totally out of the way but at least on the farm, it supplied two more bars then I had without it.

Last, I also ordered a Starlink. That shipped yesterday. On my 10 day drive back up from Abq right along the path you mentioned, I didn't have Verizon service in the panhandle of Okla, Southern Kansas and the corner of NM. That simply won't work for the job and I do intend to travel and work at least for the next few years. I have no idea where I'll put that panel when traveling but on the bed. I know that is going to quickly become a pain to live around but we'll see. No real install for that and I suppose if I popped up the top and slept up there the ladder and the starlink could go on the lower bed but what a hassle to pop that up and down, remake the bed, etc. Easier to toss the panel out the door once stopped I suppose.

Getting there. The cover for the generator should come this week. That looks pretty simple and then the question of the springs. Last few things are pretty tiny: additional leg for the table which isn't stable without it and some shelves for the bathroom medicine cabinet which is ridiculous without them.

Teresa
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 08:05 PM   #43
Platinum Member

My Weboost works very well but the thing runs hot and draws quite a bit of battery power. I make sure now to shut it off when not in use although I frequently forget. I eventually learned how to manage my batteries with all of my appliances and gadgets. There is definitely a learning curve to all of this stuff. I learned to keep good notes to myself every time I learned something new.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 08:18 PM   #44
Bronze Member

Interesting to shut it off. Do you unplug it? I'm not sure I saw a switch.

Since it runs off a 'normal' plug, it would only be on when the inverter is on which right now, I only need to run when charging my lap top. I realize that the star link will be similar and if I need either, it will only be one or the other.

I hadn't thought of switching it off which I guess one could do 'in reverse' which is unplug it and only plug it in when needed. That way you were kind of aware that it is running. Not a bad idea at all actually.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-09-2023, 12:26 PM   #45
Bronze Member

My Starlink came yesterday. Nice 'open box' experience and I'm dieing to try it. May need a mid week camping trip just to see. The ND Grasslands should be perfect to visit right now.
Old 05-09-2023, 03:05 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Quote:
My Starlink came yesterday. Nice 'open box' experience and I'm dieing to try it. May need a mid week camping trip just to see. The ND Grasslands should be perfect to visit right now.
Those that have been working out of their rig have made positive reports on their Starlink. It is a necessary investment for those that MUST have a connection. The prairies have lots of internet dead spots if you get too far from an interstate... no matter what phone company you have. And since there are so few trees up in ND, Starlink should be great.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 05-09-2023, 03:12 PM   #47
Bronze Member

Yea, I'm still working. They don't care where I'm working from and the van purchase was so that I could make the most of this opportunity but I MUST be able to connect at least the period of time each day I owe work. Hence the cell phone extender and the star link. I read all the reviews and watched some videos on it. With both options, I really should be ok. The star link is throttled in high traffic areas but that also means my cell service should be good.

Now where to store it. I'm considering removing the table and making a small cabinet on the wall. I work off my lap even when home and I could put a table like extension on the cabinet for meals and such and that would give me a good place to put this so it stays safe. Otherwise, on and off the bed seem the only other choices. Unless maybe it would fit in front of the passenger seat? Just me and the pooch so we don't really need that space for anything. That's interesting to think about as well.

Teresa
Old 05-10-2023, 03:30 AM   #48
Platinum Member

Quote:
Now where to store it.
The constant question in these small vans. Get rid of the table and just use a lap desk when/if needed. How about under the bed?
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 05-10-2023, 12:19 PM   #49
Bronze Member

I haven't had the time to really take it down to the van yet and play with it so I'm not sure where it fits. I considered under the bed but so much that gets used all the time and is long goes under there that I am afraid it will get poked, etc but yea, it is an option. I really wonder if it won't fit in front of the passenger seat. That would make it well out of the way of day to day use for the vast majority of the time. I could put some foam around it and 'save' the table.

I rather like the table but it is a bit to long so you end up needing to fold it in which then means you can't really leave anything on it, etc. Surprisingly, I don't use a table very much even when I work from home and have several available. Also, I have rather long legs and am relatively thin but the table is just 'short' on space for one's legs to fit under it. It also needs another leg which my Dad and I put under it last weekend which helped the stability tremendously. So all in, I'm wondering if we built a cabinet for the star link which opened into a table if the space wouldn't be a whole lot more functional. I found a picture of the idea but no idea how to get that in here.
Old 05-10-2023, 02:33 PM   #50
Platinum Member

In front of the passenger seat may work.

Have you seen the Lagun RV tables? Check those out. Not cheap, but adjustable and movable. Many with larger rigs have them because you can move it around... front, rear, wherever you have a place on the cabinetry that you can attach it. Not cheap, but you could get rid of the more inconvenient large table you don't need... and make the table top any size you think you would use.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 05-10-2023, 05:26 PM   #51
Bronze Member

Wow, that's a great site and yea, not at all cheap but I'm guessing you get what you pay for and likely fairly high quality.

I took the van in for an oil change and warranty work (blinking mileage and blind spot sensor is disabled) and also ordered the springs. The install cost was really reasonable so I'll get that done next week. I'm still waiting on the generator cover as well.

All in, if we decide on where the star link goes this weekend and I get to play with it and set it up by the end of next week, I should be ready for my next trip. Exciting.

Thanks all for the directions. After I play with it now for a few months, I'm sure I'll have other ideas as well but I'm feeling very content with everything done / planned to be done at least for now.
Old 05-11-2023, 03:06 PM   #52
Platinum Member

Come back and let us know how playing with it goes. Or with more questions that come up from usage.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 05-11-2023, 03:55 PM   #53
Bronze Member

I will. BTW, finally did get it drug down to the van, it might fit under the bed but I'd still want it in a case somehow. We'll figure that out this weekend while we set it up and try it!
Old 05-11-2023, 10:45 PM   #54
Platinum Member

Thor 2020 20AT here. We installed Sumo Springs all around for a definite improvement in stability. This also raises the genset 1” in the back.

OHV has lifted hundreds of Promaster Vans and has developed a method that does not put undue stress on the front driveshafts.

A rear lift is easier to do and it looks like that is what Thor is doing with their generator mod - a 1 3/4” rear lift.

Last I checked adding a second alternator and charge controller was about $3000. That includes new cooling hoses needed, new 0 gauge wiring, new chassis battery isolator/converter, new alternator mount, high output alternator, charge controller, skid plate, and labor. This is not a trivial add and the second alternator hangs low and outside on the passenger’s side.
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 02:38 AM   #55
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Last I checked adding a second alternator and charge controller was about $3000. That includes new cooling hoses needed, new 0 gauge wiring, new chassis battery isolator/converter, new alternator mount, high output alternator, charge controller, skid plate, and labor. This is not a trivial add and the second alternator hangs low and outside on the passenger’s side.
Granted, $3000 is not pocket change but if you can buy a $72K new Class B RV (as Therese says she paid) and then spend another $3k and upgrade it so it provides renewable battery power by simply driving a little bit every day, that seems like a pretty good deal. You would no longer be depending on an obnoxious, low hanging, higher maintenance, propane requiring generator that will irritate all of your camping neighbors. You can then even sell that generator and would no longer even need solar panels if you drive a very short time daily. If you were to buy a Sprinter or Transit RV and equip it with similar components, you would spend a lot more than that.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 11:37 AM   #56
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm sure I'll be a winterizing expert by next fall....heading south for 3 months but Nov in ND...gonna freeze.
Hi Theresa,
I have a Thor 2020 20AT and it has a lot of the same systems as your Rise.

I shot videos of de-winterization and winterization. They are on YouTube under my name, Tom Rosback.

You may find them helpful although the valves may be in different physical locations

When you use the Truma for heat only you should open the drain valve- it’s brass with a yellow handle. This is not in the Truma manual but is covered in a service bulletin.
Old 05-12-2023, 11:43 AM   #57
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
Granted, $3000 is not pocket change but if you can buy a $72K new Class B RV (as Therese says she paid) and then spend another $3k and upgrade it so it provides renewable battery power by simply driving a little bit every day, that seems like a pretty good deal. You would no longer be depending on an obnoxious, low hanging, higher maintenance, propane requiring generator that will irritate all of your camping neighbors. You can then even sell that generator and would no longer even need solar panels if you drive a very short time daily. If you were to buy a Sprinter or Transit RV and equip it with similar components, you would spend a lot more than that.
No argument here. I have 45,000 miles on our van and 60 hours on the Onan. It is noisy and I use it only when I have to, which is when it is really hot and I need AC. I’m waiting for the AGM batteries to die and then I’ll do a Lithium conversion and weigh the faster charging of the UHG against the cost.
Old 05-12-2023, 12:16 PM   #58
Bronze Member

Tom, that's the best winterization video I've ever seen. Really well done and I appreciate you sharing it with me. It really helps that it is in a similar van.

As I've said before, I'm not a fan of Onan because when they stop working, they really stop working (at least in my experience). But for today, it is new, working well and much cheaper to protect it then it is to remove and start over so that's the choice right now. I have two appts next week for springs and warranty work and then I should be good to go for a while I hope. My rock plate hasn't even shipped yet so they must not maintain inventory and make to order. I'll give that another week and then call because it would be disappointing to not have it before the June trip (considering that I paid for it well over a week ago now).

This weekend I'll play with the Starlink and build it a storage home somewhere out of the way.

So almost done. Mods are part of the fun frankly.
Old 05-12-2023, 01:16 PM   #59
Platinum Member

Quote:
Tom, that's the best winterization video I've ever seen. Really well done and I appreciate you sharing it with me. It really helps that it is in a similar van.

As I've said before, I'm not a fan of Onan because when they stop working, they really stop working (at least in my experience). But for today, it is new, working well and much cheaper to protect it then it is to remove and start over so that's the choice right now. I have two appts next week for springs and warranty work and then I should be good to go for a while I hope. My rock plate hasn't even shipped yet so they must not maintain inventory and make to order. I'll give that another week and then call because it would be disappointing to not have it before the June trip (considering that I paid for it well over a week ago now).

This weekend I'll play with the Starlink and build it a storage home somewhere out of the way.

So almost done. Mods are part of the fun frankly.
I’m so glad you found the videos helpful.
You’ll love the Sumo Springs - they made a big improvement with our van.
I’ve made a lot of mods too - things that have made an improvement in usability or increased storage.
Old 05-12-2023, 04:34 PM   #60
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
... You can then even sell that generator and would no longer even need solar panels if you drive a very short time daily. If you were to buy a Sprinter or Transit RV and equip it with similar components, you would spend a lot more than that.
Everything costs more on a Sprinter... including oil changes. lol

I would NEVER get rid of solar. It keeps the batteries up just fine so you don't have to drive every day. I could go for 3 days running the fridge, fan, lights, and charge the electronics with my 2 Group 31s and 270w of solar. I also had the Nations Starter big alternator, and pretty much only used it to run the microwave. (could have run the AC for a few hours except I had changed it out with a 2nd fan.)
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme