Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
Ron
Platinum Member

Default Sears D/H Marine Platinum PM-2 Group 34M Battery

Today while at my local Sears I replaced the vehicle battery with a DieHard Gold battery, model 33027, have a 2002 Dodge - 2002 RoadTrek.

I have to replace the house battery, currently it has one house battery, Exide Mariner, Marine Gel Battery, 500 MCA - 120 Reserve Minutes.

Sear's has a DieHard Marine Battery, Platinum PM-2 - Group 34M, (Marine& RV Battery).

Description on Battery: CCA: 880 - Reserve Minutes: 135 - Ah: 68, size approximately: Length: 10 3/4" - Width: 6 1/2" - Height: 8".

Would like to know if this Battery would be a good replacement for my original Exide Mariner, Marine Gel Battery.

Also would like to know if I can use 2 of these batteries in PARALLEL to double the capacity, that is if 2 of these batteries will fit in the RoadTrek under floor storage box.

Ron
FMCA:303873 ~K1RRC~ RRRCRT@aol.com
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Sears D/H Marine Platinum PM-2 Group 34M Battery

The 135 ah spec on that battery is impressive and it is AGM. You'll need to measure your battery compartment to know if two will fit.

If you need to make a bigger box, Gary's how-to and photos are at this link: viewtopic.php?f=12&p=597
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:42 AM   #3
Ron
Platinum Member

Gary,

Regarding the Sears D/H Marine Platinum PM-2 Group 34M battery the Ah spec is not 135, rather 68, the RC is 135.

I looked at the Sears DieHard Marine Deep Cycle/RV Battery, Group Size 24M, Model 27494, specs are as follows: CCA: 500 - Ah: 80 - RC: 135, on sale for $59.99.

The battery box in my 2002 Dodge - 2002 RoadTrek is approximately 10 1/2" long by 10" high by 14 1/4" wide, the 4 corners of the box are opened, 2 corners there is a wide opening gap top to bottom, well vented.

I have been told this battery would be OK to use, wondering if others have used this battery.

I believe I may be able to install 2 Group Size 24 batteries, I would be able to install one of the D/H Marine Deep Cycle/RV group 27 battery, Specs: CCA: 575 - RC:180 - Ah: 105.

What is your feelings of my installing one of these D/H Marine Deep Cycle/RV batteries?

Ron
Old 05-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
................. Regarding the Sears D/H Marine Platinum PM-2 Group 34M battery the Ah spec is not 135, rather 68, the RC is 135.............
Oops! I should have seen that, sorry.

Two group 24's at 80ah each would give you 160ah when paralleled. Dual purpose batteries probably should not be discharged more than 50% therefore you'll have 80 usable amp hour capacity. The one group 27 dual purpose battery mentioned in your post would give you 52.5 80 usable amp hour capacity.

I like having two batteries but we camp without hookups often. You seem to have done very well with one battery up to now. I think you've had it for 7 years with a basic converter for charging. Impressive!

I think your original battery was maintenance free so consider the nuisance of having to check water levels if you are thinking of getting wet cell (flooded) batteries. Will you have to move camping gear out of the way each time etc.?

I had dual purpose wet cell batteries in my Roadtrek. They did the job. No complaints other than checking the water level on one. I added that battery and should have used a slide out tray. I had to use mirror to check the water level.

If your batteries won't be easily accessible and perhaps difficult to actually see the water level then get AGM or Gel maintenance free.

The Kirkland branded batteries I used from Costco where manufactured by Johnson Controls. I mention this because I suspect there are few manufacturers but lots of "brands".

I don't have any experience with the particular batteries you've mentioned.

If your battery box is vent to the outside and sealed off from the inside then you can use wet cell.

Here's a link to some info about Qwik-Fill battery watering system. Link: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=451 It made the job of adding water very easy. They add height to the battery though so you need to have the additional space for it.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:24 PM   #5
Ron
Platinum Member

Default Re: Sears D/H Marine Deep Cycle/RV Battery

Mark,

In my 2002 Dodge - 2002 RoadTrek the battery box is underneath the floor underneath the bed, no problem checking the water level, no problem taking the battery out also.

The original battery was a Exide Gel Battery group 24.

I use the battery mainly for the refrigerator when traveling, I do not have a Generator other than my Honda 2000 generator.

I am hoping I can install two (2) Sears Die Hard Marine Deep Cycle/RV battery group 24, if I can't then I will have to get one (1) Sears Die Hard Marine Deep Cycle/RV battery group 27.

When I had a Casita 17 foot travel trailer I had a Die Hard Marine Starting/Deep Cycle/RV battery group 29HM, specs on it was: MCA: 925 - CCA: 725 - RC: 200, that was model # 27582, still have the battery, it is 10 years old.

Another question, the Marine Deep Cycle/RV battery is a proper battery for usage as a house battery, am I correct?

Ron
Old 05-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Default Re: Sears D/H Marine Deep Cycle/RV Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
..................Another question, the Marine Deep Cycle/RV battery is a proper battery for usage as a house battery, am I correct?...................
Yes, it is commonly used that way. The original battery in my Roadtrek was a "dual purpose" Marine Deep Cycle/RV battery. Dual purpose means that it has the capacity to start an engine if used that way but also has the capacity to be discharged lower than a "starting" battery.

The best choice for RV use is a true Deep Cycle battery. They can be discharged 80% repeatedly and still last a long time provide that they are recharged promptly. (You can take them down to around 11.6 volts)

A close 2nd choice is a "dual purpose" Marine Deep Cycle/RV battery. My understanding is that these shouldn't be discharged more than 50% if you want them to last. 50% discharged would be to about 12 volts.

A fully charged battery will be around 12.65 volts.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:21 AM   #7
Ron
Platinum Member

<The best choice for RV use is a true Deep Cycle battery>

Who makes a true Deep Cycle Battery, does Sears carry them, what are we to look for when looking for a Deep Cycle Battery?
Old 05-23-2009, 04:55 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I meant to qualify that comment later.

Trojan batteries are highly recommended. http://www.trojanbattery.com/Products/R ... hicle.aspx

Often RV'ers will install two Deep Cycle 6volt batteries in series to give 12 volts. I don't think you have the available height in your box for 6 volt batteries.

A true Deep Cycle battery will have those words on the battery. It is unlikely that the word Marine will be on the battery.

From the The 12volt Side of Life: http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm

Quote:
Many Marine batteries are actually "hybrid", and fall between the starting and deep-cycle batteries, while a few are true deep cycle. In the hybrid, the plates may be composed of Lead sponge, but it is coarser and heavier than that used in starting batteries. It is often hard to tell what you are getting in a "marine" battery, but most are a hybrid. "Hybrid" types should not be discharged more than 50%.

The above photo is of a group 24 battery I bought from Costco. I put three of them in my B+ RV. They also have Dual Purpose batteries - I used them in my Roadtrek.

From the use you described you don't need to search for the "best" battery. I don't think you discharge your battery more than 50% so those Sears Marine/Deep Cycle batteries will do the job for you.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:40 AM   #9
Ron
Platinum Member

I just had two (2) Sears DieHard Marine Deep Cycle/RV Batteries, Group Size 24M, Model 27494 batteries installed at my local Sears, cost $69.99 each, specs are as follows: CCA: 500 - AH: 80 - RC: 135.

We don't do any dry camping, we stay at campgrounds, do use the refrigerator when traveling as I don't care to use propane when driving.

For what I use it for these batteries are good enough for me, the battery storage box which is underneath the floor holds only 2 of the group 24 batteries. The storage box is well vented.

I am satisfied.

Ron