Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2023, 10:19 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Second Row Seating Mods in RoadTrek

Our 2006 RoadTrek Adventurous (Sprinter 2500) was originally equipped with two smaller passenger seats. These are rarely used since the unit cannot realistically sleep more than two. I just completed some changes that make better use of the space, which as we all know is a premium in a Class B.

The swivel/reclining buckets are mounted on foundations that are through-bolted to the floor. Removal of the retaining nuts from underneath is a challenge. The bolts are welded to the seat foundation or seatbelt anchor. Dummy bolts were placed in each hole to seal the hole and permit return to the seated configuration in the future.

Each seat foundation has a finished enclosure. On the passenger side, the enclosure was left in place, since it also houses the black tank and fresh water fill. (not to be confused). The seatbelt clicker anchor was removed, and the seatbelt disconnected at the top and stored in the enclosure with the retractor. The hole in the top of the enclosure was covered by relocating a 2-drawer cabinet that is normally located in the back between the couches when not made into a bed. This provides a small elevated table top that can be used as a seat to tie shoes or casual (parked) seating. The drawers provide convenient storage for keys, flashlights, tools, or “take with you” items that previously took up space in the kitchen drawers.

On the drivers side the enclosure is too small to be of much use so it was removed. In its place I built a storage bench that is “seat height”. The prior enclosure also stored the forward interior table top, and this function was preserved with the new bench. The sides were made from 5/8” sanded beach plywood, which was closest to the interior cabinetry color and grain. I made the top from 3/4” red oak cabinet grade plywood, with a solid oak edge cap to hide the plywood edge. The wood was finished with Minwax “Natural” and is a very good match to the existing interior finish.

I wanted to retain at least one additional seat-belted position. I relocated the clicker anchor from its position inboard of the old set enclosure to the forward outboard seat foundation hole, and left the belt and retractor in its original position. This created a sideways belted seating position, similar to the jump seat in extended cab pickups. Back support is provided by temporary throw pillows, but I may install something more permanent.

I decided to use the storage bench as my internet nerve center. I installed a “puck style” combo WIFI/Cellular/GPS roof antenna and ran the cables to the bench. I installed a King Router/WIFI extender to establish the rig’s WIFI and connect to campground or moochdocking WIFI when available. I added an older Verizon Jetpack to provide a cellular data plan. This is adequate for our needs, and in theory should work while rolling. I also upgraded to a smart Roku TV and it works great on the RV system.

Check out the pictures…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1685653059314.jpg (71.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 0601231920_HDR.jpg (229.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 0601231920.jpg (181.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 0601231921.jpg (148.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 0601231921a.jpg (172.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 0601231921a_HDR.jpg (160.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 0601231923_HDR.jpg (190.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 0601231925_HDR.jpg (442.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 0601231922_HDR.jpg (253.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 0601231921_HDR.jpg (195.0 KB, 10 views)
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 03:12 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Interesting, can you give me more details on your puck style antenna to wifi router and cellular setup. I’ve been considering adding some type of cell booster to improve the exterior cell signal inside my van but don’t necessarily want to pay the price of the pricey cell phone boosters and keep hearing rather mixed reviews of them.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 10:08 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks@yvr View Post
Interesting, can you give me more details on your puck style antenna to wifi router and cellular setup.
The puck antenna is the RS 5-in-1 Omni-Directional. It listed for $80. It has two WIFI leads, Two MIMO leads and one for GPS. It is currently showing unavailable on Amazon.

A friend recommended the King Router KMW 2000, which pairs with his T-Mobile 5G router from his house that he also travels with. I found the router quite good...was getting my home wifi well out in my driveway. My friend says it works well pulling in campground or moochdocking wifi.

I wanted to go with a 5g modem, but decide to wait until the newer tech Qualcomm X62/X65 chipsets equipped modems come down in price. Picked up an older 4g Jetpack on eBay for $10 for short term. Most places we go dont have 5g yet anyway. When I can find decent price on a Nighthawk M6 Pro I can just swap the Sim card over. My friend has a 5th wheel so only uses when parked and mostly campgrounds. We boondock ALOT, plus I can turn on the inverter and have internet when rolling.

As for setup the King router establishes my rigs network (even though the jetpack could also). The king picks up the jetpack for cellular, or any wifi it can access. That way all my devices (laptop, tablets, phones, smart TV) run off the same king network and dont have to be reconfigured every stop. When I go to a newer modem it will be a hard connection (CAT5) YL the King router.

I had tried NOMAD and have a thread about my experience in class B Forum. It seemed to work ok but 3rd party service resellers are risky.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQL3QFCQ...p_mob_ap_share
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote