Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2020, 06:40 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Security cameras and alarms 24/7

Security is a multi layer and multi dimensional consideration.

I am looking for a 24/7 security camera and alarm system for a van.

So far, Yi and BLINK and now Ring are strong contenders, yet none of them might be perfect.

What is your experience, and what are your thoughts?
TygerMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:38 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I was a Contractor/The Fixer Overseas for 32 years until 2016 but we cannot use that tech or devices here yet.

But as a Civilian, I do use a Blackvue DR750S 2 Channel Dashcam which is Cloud Compatible & has Front & Rear cameras, Live View, GPS Tracking, etc.

My unit is 2 years old & the newest one, comes with its very own WiFi Hotspot.

Of course there is also push notifications, parking mode, etc.

Here it is - they are in Canada but I purchase all my Dash Cams (I have four vehicles), through www.blackboxmycar.com

This companu has high integrity, have replaced with minimal questions one faulty rear camera of four, bundle everything so purchasing is simple & easy & are very helpful & low pressure in the sales process.

My Son just recently put in an order for 36 of these for his vehicle fleet of Plumbing Vans - I usually deal with Kevin or Mel.

The money saved just in Insurance Claims, has paid for each unit. Plus they are in my kid's cars. All units have one or extra batteries.

Here is the model;

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/produc...cloud-dash-cam

As for perimeter alert, at minute 3.01 this very determined female RV Owner uses a Driveway Perimeter system - it is an excellent idea & inexpensive.

Watch "SELF-DEFENSE Gadgets for RV LIVING! WEAPONS and GEAR for RV Geeks. Safety, Deterrence & Fighting..." on YouTube
https://youtu.be/HJHOakgm5EI

I am an unusual person, probably one of the very rare types who although I love sleeping, I am otherwise the last individual someone wants to steal from or harass physically.

I do use some older tech from overseas on my rig, enough that I feel very comfortable sleeping at night.

Recently I captured someone (a group), who attempted to liberate my Catalytic Converter on a very hot day, during the heat wave in Los Angeles recently.

I pride myself on being a Gentle Soul ...

I did a lot of research in 2014-2015 in having a series of Cameras mounted around my truck with a Monitor mounted in the the rear lounge area. I was working a couple of assignments in downtown LA.

My truck is blacked out from within & the outside so I cannot view what is happening at the rear or sides - but now with the Dashcams, I click on Live View & its really did away for the need for 8 cameras.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:45 PM   #3
Platinum Member

PS. I made sure I read your article & the links first.

I NEVER, EVER suggest Wifi for clients because there is too much lag.

Always on, always recording is best, with push notifications.

However I WILL recommend Wifi for long approaches where a electrical connection cannot be made.

The only thing I feel I am missing for my needs, is an Internal Camera but with Dashcams although you can purchase a single Front Viewing unit, and, a Rear Canwra or in environments like an Uber/Lyft need, a secobd camera that gives the internal view.

So I would end up buying another front camera just to get an internal view unit.

I do believe there are single, stand alone wifi & wired security camera units that do not require a primary camera like Dashcams do.

As it is, I get push notifications & viewing live through my existing Verizon 4G LTE Modem if anyone tries to break in.

Then I have two separate cut off switches that disable the ignition.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 09-25-2020, 07:56 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
I NEVER, EVER suggest Wifi for clients because there is too much lag.
The latency added by a WiFi connection is measured in single digit milliseconds. Totally insignificant.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:26 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
The latency added by a WiFi connection is measured in single digit milliseconds. Totally insignificant.
You have me with the technical answer but I am talking about models a year earlier, that had in real terms, backs of heads turned versus milliseconds.

If the technology has removed that lag time in real wotld use, Hallelujah.

I am talking about Rimg specifically but there were other companies approximately January 2019.

As an approach camera they work great the battery operated wifi because they can be placed fairly innocuously high up to track specific entry ways like driveways, etc. Plenty of time to switch on.

Some users also might not have had such an effective wifi signal also.

Is this what you use Avanti?

Do you have any more suggestions?
Old 09-25-2020, 10:30 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
You have me with the technical answer but I am talking about models a year earlier, that had in real terms, backs of heads turned versus milliseconds.
WiFi has NEVER had any latency worth mentioning. It is slower than modern Ethernet, but not so you would notice unless maybe if you are a gamer.

Are you sure you mean to be talking about "WiFi"?
Old 09-25-2020, 10:56 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I am talking about Ring Cameras.

And there was real time lag.

Since I am retired I haven't been looking but I am sure you will find screeds up f posts on sites until a point of January 2019.

Pressing the NEXT Button as to today & answering whst the OP may have asked, you are an expert in these technical matters so I will gladly accept your learned opinion & if homeowners ask me, I will then do some more research.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:31 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
I am talking about Ring Cameras.

And there was real time lag.
Ah. That explains it.

Ring Cameras may well have significant lag, but if so it is coming from their servers or possibly the broadband connection. It has nothing to do with WiFi.
Sorry if I confused anybody.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:54 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Ah. That explains it.

Ring Cameras may well have significant lag, but if so it is coming from their servers or possibly the broadband connection. It has nothing to do with WiFi.
Sorry if I confused anybody.
No problem Mate, I haven't solved the TMI Challenge yet but when you post as such it causes me to double down on the accuracy of my posts.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:00 AM   #10
Silver Member

I have a hotspot in the van. I use a combination of WYZE cams and I have several cheap prepaid android phones I set up with Alfred. Alfred is an app that turns the phones into a "nanny cams". They both upload to a cloud and there is a small lag or delay from motion detection to when I see it on my phone and it's usually around 10 seconds.

I actually caught a kid stealing all our mail off our porch after it had been held for vacation for 3 weeks with an Alfred app. Though I have to say that Alfred seems to be problematic lately.

The cell phones just connect with WIFI to the hotspot but you can also pay for minutes and they can go either or. The cell phones also have an tracking app on them. So should someone break into the van and pick up the cell phone I can pay for minutes and track the phone. I also have a phone under the dash and I can do the same. pay for minutes or use the wifi hotspot should it not be turned off in the van and track the van. I bought all the phones when you could get them for 9.99 around Christmas time.

If I stay at a hotel or an AirBnb I log into their local wifi and set one of these phones on the counter. I have caught a maid moving my phone once, I have never caught anyone doing anything they shouldn't be doing other than the kid that stole our mail.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:19 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvairguy View Post
I have a hotspot in the van. I use a combination of WYZE cams and I have several cheap prepaid android phones I set up with Alfred. Alfred is an app that turns the phones into a "nanny cams". They both upload to a cloud and there is a small lag or delay from motion detection to when I see it on my phone and it's usually around 10 seconds.

I actually caught a kid stealing all our mail off our porch after it had been held for vacation for 3 weeks with an Alfred app. Though I have to say that Alfred seems to be problematic lately.

The cell phones just connect with WIFI to the hotspot but you can also pay for minutes and they can go either or. The cell phones also have an tracking app on them. So should someone break into the van and pick up the cell phone I can pay for minutes and track the phone. I also have a phone under the dash and I can do the same. pay for minutes or use the wifi hotspot should it not be turned off in the van and track the van. I bought all the phones when you could get them for 9.99 around Christmas time.

If I stay at a hotel or an AirBnb I log into their local wifi and set one of these phones on the counter. I have caught a maid moving my phone once, I have never caught anyone doing anything they shouldn't be doing other than the kid that stole our mail.

Amazing detail.

Great info.

The lag i described above most certainly with Ring has that now been resolved or does the issue have another genesis?