Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2019, 07:33 PM   #61
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
You are far more likely to need to call 911 for a variety of reasons than to defend yourself against thugs so a satellite phone would still be a better investment than a gun. On a list of risks, heart attack, disease or injury are a lot more serious than criminals of any kind.
I think it is obvious based on recorded facts that most people will not ever find themselves in a situation where we need a weapon or a 911 call.

I think to some folks, (like me) it is the idea of a "bad" guy and or bear (why some carry spray and others don't while in WY or MT) and "if you are going to go down, you are going with some sort of fight".

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:20 PM   #62
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
I haven't carried concealed weapon for almost 70 years and have never been in a situation where I needed one.
I classify my carry weapon the same as I classify a first aid kit. I carry one of those in my vehicles, too. I have never been in a situation where I needed either one (Gott sei Dank!), but glad they are both there, if I do.

To each their own. 'Nuff said!
DUTCH in Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:35 PM   #63
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH in Atlanta View Post
I classify my carry weapon the same as I classify a first aid kit. I carry one of those in my vehicles, too. I have never been in a situation where I needed either one (Gott sei Dank!), but glad they are both there, if I do.

To each their own. 'Nuff said!
I carry a first aid kit and we use it all the time. I would classify a gun more like a snakebite kit, unlikely to be in a situation where you thought you would need it and doesn't really work anyway.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:49 PM   #64
Platinum Member

Default Security and boondocking

Thanks for all your replies!

I won’t be going the carry a gun route but there are some other useful suggestions from people. The individual who woke me could see the van from the road and it was a pull out with no road (deadend T). My van was facing towards the road which could have allowed a escape route. I did not have cell coverage but do have an inReach however any law enforcement types were far away (and the park rangers where deemed non essential services by the powers to be when this occurred). I will be adding some additional outside lights along with a siren alarm as a first defense. The tire thumper is a easy one also. I still will be boondocking but will be layering my security options and now have a better prepared late night plan for should something like this happen again. I think it probably was someone trying to be intimidating and could not be their wisest move with some others but a pre thought out improved layered security plan is the answer.

Thanks again for all your input.
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:19 PM   #65
Platinum Member

Glad you found some of the contributions helpful, as did I. In total, yours' has been one of the more stimulating threads. While you're not likely to encounter such a situation again, I hope you sleep better knowing you've now contemplated some "what-ifs" just the same.

I too have considered putting a light on the driver's side (something similar to the curb-side porch light). It would certainly help if I had a break down or had to dump after dark, even if the "thumpers" never come for me in the night.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:52 PM   #66
Bronze Member

Sounds like a situation for TRUNK MONKEY!!!

HawkTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:53 PM   #67
Platinum Member

Times have changed and I suggest our personal protection strategies keep up with the times .

We are soft targets for people looking for quick cash to support drug habits, fast food addictions, cell phone bills, gang initiations, latest sneakers, game systems and etc.

Surveillance cameras have pushed many petty theft thieves to look else where so curling up with our bats and bear sprays might not be the best strategies for the times.

I refuse to cower in place with just a bat and bear spray...personal protection it just that...personal but, if we are perceived as soft targets, that puts all of us at a greater risk.
Oliver2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:20 PM   #68
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=HawkTX;87158]Sounds like a situation for TRUNK MONKEY!!!

Those commercials are hilarious! Thanks, I needed the laugh.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:21 PM   #69
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver2017 View Post
Times have changed and I suggest our personal protection strategies keep up with the times .

We are soft targets for people looking for quick cash to support drug habits, fast food addictions, cell phone bills, gang initiations, latest sneakers, game systems and etc.

Surveillance cameras have pushed many petty theft thieves to look else where so curling up with our bats and bear sprays might not be the best strategies for the times.

I refuse to cower in place with just a bat and bear spray...personal protection it just that...personal but, if we are perceived as soft targets, that puts all of us at a greater risk.
A "soft target" is "a person or thing that is relatively unprotected or vulnerable, especially to military or terrorist attack. Wikipedia

40 years-ago
the Out-of-Towners visiting NYC were soft targets and did not know it.

Good for them there were fewer fast food addictions, cell phone bills, gang initiations, fancy sneakers, and game systems to support by the street criminals.

ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:40 PM   #70
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
A "soft target" is "a person or thing that is relatively unprotected or vulnerable, especially to military or terrorist attack. Wikipedia

40 years-ago
the Out-of-Towners visiting NYC were soft targets and did not know it.

Good for them there were fewer fast food addictions, cell phone bills, gang initiations, fancy sneakers, and game systems to support by the street criminals.
A very funny movie. The wife (Sandy Dennis) was the perfect antithesis to Jack Lemmon's character.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:55 PM   #71
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
A very funny movie. The wife (Sandy Dennis) was the perfect antithesis to Jack Lemmon's character.

We need more Jack and Sandy RV owners who know what to do during a robbery - stay calm.

ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:03 AM   #72

Eventually I'd like to get out to BLM lands to do some camping/hiking/flying my paramotor... Security is a consideration.

I'd like to see if anyone makes a magnetic rechargeable motion sensitive light. Slap those on every side of the vehicle and sleep easy.

I'd also have at least a handgun with me. It's like a first aid kit or a fire extinguisher. If you're smart, you're not likely to ever need one, but if you do, you'll be glad you have one.
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:15 AM   #73
Platinum Member

I think this is much about preparedness for what you are doing whether it is boondocking, hiking or even simply traveling. What is our/your plan if "x" happens. Things that worry me (slightly ocd)
  • Macerator - Do I carry a spare unit? Takes up space, if not, do I know which model to buy? Does Amazon carry it? How about just the impeller? Could be handy even if I don't do myself to have the parts?
  • Spare Sofa Switch - these are $13 bucks on Amazon. Having this will allow us to sleep as we put up our bed daily
  • Water Pump - Same as Macerator
  • DEF-OX Sensor - Think we just need to find a Freightliner or MB service place..........Lookup where any are for our route.
  • Hiking and Road Maps - Download to GPS on phone, need paper maps??
  • Hiking in MT and WY Get Bear Spray. Should we hookup with others for long hikes which we plan so not in a group of just 2 people? Do we need to have spray in Black Bear country? Risks versus carrying it around. Snakes - Have trekking poles, is that enough?
  • Boondocking - We are in an expensive rig. Looks good, looks expensive. Leave front windows without sunshade to drive away quickly, What if someone tries to break in? Need Gun, Bat? How about bear spray. Careful not to spray in van.
  • First Aid Kit - What's in it? What is missing?
  • No Cell Coverage - Garmin Sat Communicator? Elderly folks and or my sister can reach us if an emergency. Where would we leave the van? Where is the nearest airport?
  • Dead Battery - Purchased Antigravity XP-10. Jump a diesel and can power "stuff" to take a bit of load of coach

I think everyone should go thru a mental list when traveling and confirm that they have covered what makes you comfortable. Boondocking safety is just the very tip of this subject. This list is some of what I consider while away from home.......have list for when home as well but will spare folks from all that. :>

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 01-30-2019, 12:33 PM   #74
Platinum Member

Another item that may be palatable to those who don't prefer handguns.

Plus another personal security issue nobody has mentioned yet, one that is getting worse: feral dogs. They form and run in packs, even in rural areas. Urban and suburban areas are even worse. Quoting a news article "In Houston, Texas, alone, there are more than 1 million stray dogs, according to the city’s pet shelter, BARC."

Wrap your head around that - one million stray dogs, just in one metro area.

Search on Amazon for "Mako Shark Dive Knife with Leg Strap Sheath". I've never gotten a better value for just ten bucks!!

We had several loose dog attacks here in my neighborhood recently. One of them made regional news because a law enforcement officer happened to be driving by when he saw a woman walking a golden retriever come under attack by a loose pit bull. He had no choice but to put two rounds into the pit bull to stop it. This happened 200 feet from my current house.

After that, there were two more dog attacks on different pedestrians in rapid succession. We are a small subdivision of less than 500 homes.

I started walking my dog with that shark knife strapped to my left calf. I also jog with it. They are so cheap that I have multiple of them, staged in different locations. One of them sits on the door rack right next to the dog leash. If I pick up the leash, I automatically pick up the leg knife. It's very comfortable to wear.

Anyway, I've seen feral dogs when boondocking in rural areas. One of them followed a pair of us across two days for miles through Big Thicket in east Texas a few years ago. Stalking us. Never did get aggressive, but there were two of us camping, so it would be a difficult take-down. But he was monitoring us for his opportunity.

Depending on what I'm doing and where I am, sometimes I will have that knife strapped to my left leg while traveling solo in our Class B.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:46 PM   #75
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
I think this is much about preparedness for what you are doing whether it is boondocking, hiking or even simply traveling. What is our/your plan if "x" happens. Things that worry me (slightly ocd)
  • Macerator - Do I carry a spare unit? Takes up space, if not, do I know which model to buy? Does Amazon carry it? How about just the impeller? Could be handy even if I don't do myself to have the parts?
  • Spare Sofa Switch - these are $13 bucks on Amazon. Having this will allow us to sleep as we put up our bed daily
  • Water Pump - Same as Macerator
Card carrying Amazon user here, but...I have found using Walmart.com to be more convenient for replacement parts while traveling as we usually boondock. In recent years I've had to replace a water pump(for the coach) and the toilet while traveling and Walmart has worked perfectly.

It can seems easier to just pick a ship to store than to try to figure a ship to point for Amazon. That being said, Amazon is adding drop ship points but they seem to be limited in the size of package(think toilet). I've never tried Post Office general delivery for ordering stuff, that may work, though the vendor may not do the sale because of security/fraud issues. I have used general delivery for stuff sent from home and it has worked fine.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:15 PM   #76
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Card carrying Amazon user here, but...I have found using Walmart.com to be more convenient for replacement parts while traveling as we usually boondock. In recent years I've had to replace a water pump(for the coach) and the toilet while traveling and Walmart has worked perfectly.

It can seems easier to just pick a ship to store than to try to figure a ship to point for Amazon. That being said, Amazon is adding drop ship points but they seem to be limited in the size of package(think toilet). I've never tried Post Office general delivery for ordering stuff, that may work, though the vendor may not do the sale because of security/fraud issues. I have used general delivery for stuff sent from home and it has worked fine.
Amazon Locker locations are pretty much limited to large cities, many are now in Whole Foods now that it is part of Amazon. And, yes, the size of package is limited and the availability is sometimes limited if the locker is full. I have used them several times though to pick up packages on the road.

As full timers, we use St Brendan’s Isle mail forwarding and they can accept packages from UPS and FedEx that can then be forwarded to us at General Delivery at a Post Office. We use General Delivery at small town post offices to get our mail forwarding sent to us also. General delivery in large cities can work it it is easier to pick up at smaller post office locations.

Walmart delivery to the store is another good option that I have used when they have an item that can be handled that way.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:24 PM   #77
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Another item that may be palatable to those who don't prefer handguns.

Plus another personal security issue nobody has mentioned yet, one that is getting worse: feral dogs. They form and run in packs, even in rural areas. Urban and suburban areas are even worse. Quoting a news article "In Houston, Texas, alone, there are more than 1 million stray dogs, according to the city’s pet shelter, BARC."

Wrap your head around that - one million stray dogs, just in one metro area.

Search on Amazon for "Mako Shark Dive Knife with Leg Strap Sheath". I've never gotten a better value for just ten bucks!!

We had several loose dog attacks here in my neighborhood recently. One of them made regional news because a law enforcement officer happened to be driving by when he saw a woman walking a golden retriever come under attack by a loose pit bull. He had no choice but to put two rounds into the pit bull to stop it. This happened 200 feet from my current house.

After that, there were two more dog attacks on different pedestrians in rapid succession. We are a small subdivision of less than 500 homes.

I started walking my dog with that shark knife strapped to my left calf. I also jog with it. They are so cheap that I have multiple of them, staged in different locations. One of them sits on the door rack right next to the dog leash. If I pick up the leash, I automatically pick up the leg knife. It's very comfortable to wear.

Anyway, I've seen feral dogs when boondocking in rural areas. One of them followed a pair of us across two days for miles through Big Thicket in east Texas a few years ago. Stalking us. Never did get aggressive, but there were two of us camping, so it would be a difficult take-down. But he was monitoring us for his opportunity.

Depending on what I'm doing and where I am, sometimes I will have that knife strapped to my left leg while traveling solo in our Class B.
Speaking for myself, if I was going to be attacked by a pack of feral dogs or even a single pit bull, I would not expect to be able to defend myself with a knife or even a machete. I used to carry a dog repellant spray when biking on my recumbent bike for some deterrent from dogs who ran loose (not feral) but never needed to use it. For a single dog, I would rely on bear spray and for a pack of feral dogs, I would probably do the same with the hope that they would give up the attack.

I personally have never seen a feral dog or dog pack anywhere we have travelled and put it in the category of low risk with the bear spray we carry when hiking as the weapon of choice for an unlikely encounter.

I worry more about a Moose attack where we travel than bears or dogs or cougars. Any of these would seem to be less likely but the bear spray would be used in any case. More injuries from Moose than bears in Alaska especially during rutting season...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:53 PM   #78
Platinum Member

The deliver to a Walmart store sounds like a good match for us.

Didn't think of that but seems better perhaps in ways to Amazon. Also interesting on Moose.....hadn't thought about them and "Bear Spray" seems to be a good go-to first defense against wildlife.

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 01-30-2019, 02:01 PM   #79
Platinum Member

I don't have the numbers, but I would bet it is very likely hundreds of times more likely that you are going to get killed or injured driving to the places where you would get attacked by a bear, moose, feral dogs, criminals, rabid titmice, or whatever, but we don't see anyone going to great lengths to reduce that risk by adding things like roll cages, 5 point harnesses, wearing helmets and firesuits that could save them. Acceptance of risk is a very fluid thing, I think, and what risks we are willing to accept is probably based on a whole lot of other things other than the actual risk level. It seems to be a lot easier for everyone to be very afraid of a tiny chance of being attacked by a bear or thug than it is the continuous threat of being run over by a semi.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:16 PM   #80
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I don't have the numbers, but I would bet it is very likely hundreds of times more likely that you are going to get killed or injured driving to the places where you would get attacked by a bear, moose, feral dogs, criminals, rabid titmice, or whatever, but we don't see anyone going to great lengths to reduce that risk by adding things like roll cages, 5 point harnesses, wearing helmets and firesuits that could save them. Acceptance of risk is a very fluid thing, I think, and what risks we are willing to accept is probably based on a whole lot of other things other than the actual risk level. It seems to be a lot easier for everyone to be very afraid of a tiny chance of being attacked by a bear or thug than it is the continuous threat of being run over by a semi.
For sure.........I think those of us that prepare for the unlikely think more like.........."I won't even see the semi coming and it will be over before I do (hopefully).........man, I wish I had a can of bear spray while the bear was biting my leg off or chasing after my wife".

Very unlikely but would really bug the heck out of me if I could do nothing and had to watch it all for a few minutes being helpless especially if I could go down trying to save the situation.

Personality Type 1 = worries and needs a plan for everything even if it is very unlikely to occur so I can not feel helpless. I am a self-proclaimed "mild" OCD type.

Personality Type 2 = Recognizes the event is unlikely and doesn't waste any time and energy on these items.

2017 RT Agile SS

Tags
blm, boondocking, security