Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2022, 07:41 PM   #1

Default Seeking Back Window Replacement for 1996 Pleasure Way Van

Hi there, so my dad bought me a 1996 Pleasure Way van. It had one owner and 60,000 miles!!

Anyway, the van is in CA, and I'm in PA. We're ready for me to come pick up in the Spring, but my dad shot out the back window chasing raccoons from his garden. He's having a hard time locating a replacement window.

This is a single fixed unit 18 3/4 in x 44 5/8 in. I don't believe a general window replacement like Safelite can replace it. I don't see anything on Ebay. I'm thinking I am left to junk yards to find a replacement.

Anyone know of a better way to find a replacement??
PhillyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:21 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Dodge or Ford ? it should be a factory window in the rear door.

for every issue in your van try to figure out if it is an "RV" problem or a "dodge" problem
for alot of the mechanical and body stuff a forum for that style vehicle will have more and better answers
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:56 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Like Mike asks: Dodge? I own a 1997 PW on Dodge 3500 chassis. Mine has a single door at the rear and a single window. The window might be a special replacement for the original since it could be opened. Not sure if original vans had that. In any event, even though mine has this feature it came with the opening levers riveted in the closed position and a sticker on the window saying don't open with engine operating due to exhaust fumes. We've never had ours open and it doesn't have a bug screen like the others on the van. If you can't find one that's the RV retrofit like mine, a factory replacement window that's not openable might be a good alternative. Like I said, we've never opened ours (even though I drilled out the restricting rivets).
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:09 AM   #4
Platinum Member

the rear latches were screwed down on my chev. we like to pop the windows open at night.

it's a safety thing, which would make sense if running genny ( i don't)
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:22 AM   #5
Platinum Member

My error! The factory service manual for the Dodge van shows that the rear window does have those vent latches. So they weren't a retrofit by PW. I'm guessing that Mike is correct and PW made those latches inoperable for the reason that he states.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 04:00 PM   #6
Silver Member

I would try the window company first, I would think they could get it for you. It should be a standard window.
leva56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 05:48 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I was just looking into widow replacement for my ford. Found this video. It might give you some insight.
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 11:43 PM   #8
Platinum Member

If my memory serves me correctly (which is less and less likely over time), it is a RIVA standard that any rear window does not open. As suggested it is to keep the carbon monoxide out of the coach.

Our 2008 Chevy RT came with the windows riveted like the PWs. I drilled 'em out and when camped we like to crack them for ventilation under some conditions, but that is seldom.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 11:52 PM   #9
Platinum Member

as stated in the video approximately 11:50 in
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 07:32 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
the rear latches were screwed down on my chev. we like to pop the windows open at night.

it's a safety thing, which would make sense if running genny ( i don't)
Mike the rear windows open fine on my van. I'm planning to stuff a piece of thin styrowfoam inbetween insect screen an window for insulation. of course these windows would be closed w/ generator on.

btw:I stopped at the RV place for a few gallons of propane explained what I had already inspected on the furnace, I pulled the thremostates cover and (good news) the man pulled a couple pieces of dog hair inbetween the electrical contacts.
furnace fired right up.(bad news) is furnace is to loud to sleep w/ on.

(bad news2)the man thinks the propane tank needs replacing due to rust.
Old 12-17-2022, 01:24 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Default Maybe try here

https://www.pellandent.com/
billn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 08:55 PM   #12
Silver Member

Plenty of vans out there with good used parts. Try your local "Pick and Pull", "Pull a Part" and many other iterations of self serve salvage yards. Try car-part.com and partshotlines.com for listings across USA & Canada. They ship or find nearest one to you and go in person for over the counter service. '95 (and quite possibly earlier) to '03 will fit.
98LeisureTravelDodge is offline   Reply With Quote