Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2020, 11:39 PM   #1

Default Seeking opinions on used Airstream Avenue price

Considering a 2011 Avenue, 85,000 miles, appears to be in decent shape - haven’t looked at it in person yet. Just hoping to get ballpark price opinions. Thanks in advance.
vharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:45 AM   #2
Platinum Member

vharrris, first post in two years. You're quite the lurker!

Prices for used class b's were crazy high 2-1/2 years ago when we bought ours, and have just continued to climb. I'd price against rvtrader.com etc. rather than the pricing services like NADA which I found way off. Plus, when I tried to spec out prospective class b's I'd get questions like "Does it have a washer/dryer?"

Ours was advertised for $59,900 and we offered $56500. It was over 3 yrs. newer (considering it was '2017 when we purchased) and had 25K miles at the time. I think we could easily get that same price today.

Look at models you can afford. Compare to as many advertised items as you can (in this case Roadtrek 190P's which are fairly similar). Then, after you look at it, offer something less.

I own a '2012 Avenue Suite model and would love to not feel so lonesone on this forum due to it being such a rare model. What model Avenue are you considering?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:14 AM   #3

Lol - lurker for sure! Thanks for the input. I’m a Roadtrek owner, pretty familiar with B’s. This one has the four captains chairs, like the Roadtrek 190 Versatile. It’s not my first choice, but the price looks very nice...... Been watching the Avenues for a few years, but they were usually priced pretty high - in the rare times I found one for sale. I just looked at some prices on similar Roadtreks, and confirmed my thoughts that the price isn’t bad at all. I’ll go check it out to see what condition it’s in. Do you have any suggestions on things to look out for? From the pics, it looks like the macerator has been removed.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:56 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I was just going to say "PM Rowiebowie, he is your Man fir Avenues ..."

I know a lot about the unit because I was the one who submitted the rudimentary plans (what I wanted in a Chevy based, short Wheelbase Urban Airstream, to their Cheif Engineer a year before the Avenue came out.

For you, why the Avenue?

They have a lot of merits but have you considered any other Class B's?
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:59 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharris View Post
Lol - lurker for sure! Thanks for the input. I’m a Roadtrek owner, pretty familiar with B’s. This one has the four captains chairs, like the Roadtrek 190 Versatile. It’s not my first choice, but the price looks very nice...... Been watching the Avenues for a few years, but they were usually priced pretty high - in the rare times I found one for sale. I just looked at some prices on similar Roadtreks, and confirmed my thoughts that the price isn’t bad at all. I’ll go check it out to see what condition it’s in. Do you have any suggestions on things to look out for? From the pics, it looks like the macerator has been removed.
Your Avenue is a Lounge model that sleeps sideways in the rear (like the Roadtrek 170's). I don't know how tall you are but would not work for me at 6'2". And don't believe the claim it is 70 or 71 inches wide. Measure your 190 and you should find is more like 69 inches.

I love the macerator feature, but I've seen other Avenues where the macerator has been removed. The good news is everything is right there so you can access the 3" opening and dump by stinky slinky, or add a macerator (which I recommend). If the time comes, I can help you with that.

My overall opinion of my Airstream Avenue Suite is that it's solid built, has great looking & sturdy cabinetry, but I've had to do a lot of replacements. Those could have been due to non-use or mis-use by the prior owner. The Chevy chassis is great and reliable.

We did fine overnight running the compressor fridge with just the two standard batteries (provided they were working a their best). We drove everyday to recharge them. But we could not boon dock more that one night. I've since performed a 200Ah lithium battery/ 3000W inverter-charger/DC to DC charger upgrade about 8 months ago. We can now go two nights, and perhaps 3 if we really conserve.

One thing where I like the Avenue's over the Roadtreks is they use a standard low-profile rv roof ac and not the Coolcat. I replaced our old Coleman with a new Coleman Mach 8 Plus 15K btu. I know, 15K. Long story. But I can report it uses 1 less amp that the old 13.5K it replaced, has an actual medium speed for improved quietness (the old Coleman had only High and Higher fan speeds, which made it loud all the time), and is not too much AC. It was also a fairly easy plug & play replacement.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:03 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I agree.

The thing about the Avenue is they feel cramped or as though they tried to cram everything in.

You need to check out how comfortable the sleeping arrangement is for you.

What model Roadtrek do you already own?
Old 07-22-2020, 02:08 AM   #7

The “Lounge”. I couldn’t remember the name. The sideways bed is the drawback, but I’m only 5’8”, so it’s doable. Probably wouldn’t consider it, but I think it’s too good to pass up at the asking price, if it’s in good condition. I’ll post the results of my inspection.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:11 AM   #8
Platinum Member

At 5.8, its not an issue.

When you say a good deal, can you give us a ball park price?

Rowiebowie can you answer qurstions about repairs, parts for the Unicorn & help from Airstream?
Old 07-22-2020, 02:13 AM   #9

I’ve owned a 190P, have a 210P now. I like the 210, and got a good deal on it. Just considering buying this airstream because it seems to priced pretty low. The sideways bed is the drawback, but I’m only 5’8”, so it’s doable. Probably wouldn’t consider it, but I think it’s too good to pass up at the asking price, if it’s in good condition. I’ll post the results of my inspection.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:21 AM   #10

Well, if it’s a great deal, I hope someone doesn’t snatch it out from under me. On the other hand, it would save me some money! Lol. To answer the question, they are asking $40K. Even if they won’t come down from that, seems like a nice price. Am I wrong in that thought? If I’m way off, Please let me know. I won’t take offense!
Old 07-22-2020, 02:24 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
I’ve owned a 190P, have a 210P now. I like the 210, and got a good deal on it. Just considering buying this airstream because it seems to priced pretty low. The sideways bed is the drawback, but I’m only 5’8”, so it’s doable. Probably wouldn’t consider it, but I think it’s too good to pass up at the asking price, if it’s in good condition. I’ll post the results of my inspection.
You've bought class b's before, whereas ours was our first purchase. Made a checklist and we drove 4 hours to Houston (PPL Motorhomes Consignment Sales). After more than an hour, we were anxious to get on the road to home and everything was checking out fine anyway, so I skipped the last 5 items on my checklist. Well . . . 3 of those five remaining items didn't work. Not expensive items and would have bought it anyway. But I would have lowered my offer a bit.

On older units, there's always going to be a few issues.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:36 AM   #12
Platinum Member

$40k is a great start but Rowiebowie is the expert here.

Are you going to sell the 210?

Even compared to the 190, the Avenue is going to feel like they crammed everythin in but its a great looking Coach & drives well.

Are you unhappy with the 210, is there a reason giving up the 210 in order to get the Avenue you hope to achieve?
Old 07-22-2020, 03:38 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Rowiebowie can you add solar to the Avenue, is there room to add like a battery set up under the bed like Booster has done?
Old 07-22-2020, 03:51 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
Rowiebowie can you add solar to the Avenue, is there room to add like a battery set up under the bed like Booster has done?
According to an old Airstream Video I found, the Avenue's come pre-wired for solar. Mine had the factory option and a robust 20W flexible solar panel (that still works!). Laughable, yet it keeps my engine battery in float. Earlier I upgraded the pitiful factory solar controller with a Victron, which is the only way I get any usable power from solar at all. I have two 50W Renogy solar panels I may explore installing when the weather gets cooler and once I decide on getting my roof repainted. Clear coat is going fast.

I had just enough space inside to mount 2 x 100Ah Renogy lithium batteries. This left my full underbed stoage available. The model vharris is looking at, might have somewhere to move batteries inside a cabinet like I did, but if not, just two batteries would take up the little storage available under his rear bed.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:07 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Have you ever considered "doing away with the bed making", pulling out the existing sofa & building a framed bed with storage below?
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 07-22-2020, 08:48 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
Have you ever considered "doing away with the bed making", pulling out the existing sofa & building a framed bed with storage below?
Nope. Front seats swivel but don't make a good seating area. Especially the driver's seat due to the bath right behind it.

Rear seat makes a very nice seating/eating area and surprisingly good bed as well.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:06 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I presume if there is two of you, the duties are split anyway.

In hindsight I do remember how comfortable the rear seat was.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 07-24-2020, 02:15 AM   #18

Thanks again to all for the insight. I checked out the Avenue today. Needs a little cleaning. Didn’t see any major issues. Agreed on $39K. Pick it up next week.

rowiebowie - I may be bugging you with questions soon.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:39 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks again to all for the insight. I checked out the Avenue today. Needs a little cleaning. Didn’t see any major issues. Agreed on $39K. Pick it up next week.

Congrats. Sounds like a fair price. I saw two last month on rvtrader. Less miles, but asking over $60K.

I just corresponded with another Avenue Lounge owner by PM. That makes at least three of us here now. We're becoming a force to be reckoned with.

Your Lounge and our Suite are configured quite differently in layout, but the systems are very similar. That is, until I did my lithium battery/inverter-charger, DC to DC charger upgrade. I got tired of my lead-acid batteries corroding the battery compartment (could have solved by going back to original AGM's), but we also wanted to run the microwave without being plugged in or running the generator and boondock for more than one night. Our two 100Ah lithium batteries allow this, but at a steep cost.

Most of my other systems are still original models or replacements with a similar item, so overall, we're probably similar.

I've replaced the macerator, roof a/c, tank gauge display, generator start panel, Maxxfan gearset, water pump, tv, rear-view camera monitor, television, generator exhaust hanger, porch light, and most of the water heater parts. I've added several 12V/USB outlets, relocated the rear reading lamps to a usable position, removed the rear seat headrests (Airstream should be ashamed how flimsy they were) and made a padded "headboard" in their place, I removed the panel covering the monitors and switches and added a lighted switch for the water pump so we can tell if it's on, added a light to the cabinet concealing the battery disconnect so we can tell if it's on, and chased-down numerous rattles.

My generator is finally running perfect and all systems are go, but this Covid has all our plans on hold.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:24 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:

A Man can buy a lot of cleaning supplies with the $21k in savings it appears you are going to enjoy.

Once the deal is done, some photos please.