Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2019, 06:28 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Very good idea for not much money...an extra serpentine belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Do yourself a favor and buy two belts. Keep one for a spare. I had a belt snap while traveling due to a bad bearing in the idler pulley but they can go at any time.

The thing is, when that belt goes, it's a show stopper. You're done and can't really go anywhere. A tow truck, service call, or a ride to a parts house/shop will be required. Time,inconvenience, money and aggravation all come into play. If you have a spare and a tool to move the tensioner you are on your way in 5-10 minutes.

When mine went I had a motorcycle with that I used to get a new idler and belt. I did and do carry a spare that would have come in real handy if the parts house was out of stock or did not carry a belt for my 19 year old vehicle.
Even if you don't repair this yourself, at least you will have the replacement part handy
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:53 PM   #22

I've replaced a number of serp belts and found that a few 3/4" binder clips help if you don't have an extra set of hands available. I use them to hold the belt onto the various pulleys as I pull it around into position. Spring-type clothes pins also work.
ThroatwarblerMangrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:23 PM   #23
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatwarblerMangrov View Post
I've replaced a number of serp belts and found that a few 3/4" binder clips help if you don't have an extra set of hands available. I use them to hold the belt onto the various pulleys as I pull it around into position. Spring-type clothes pins also work.
Thanks for the tip, i was ready to use a tip that i found in a search here from Booster. But it went on pretty smooth once i got the tension pulley moved all the way in.

again thank you, all tips are welcome , as it might help someone else

David

1997 RoadTrek 170
Popular
Davidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:26 PM   #24
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Even if you don't repair this yourself, at least you will have the replacement part handy
Thanks , i did pick up a spare belt like you and others have said. Never know when and where it might break......hope never better safe than sorry

David

1997 RoadTrek 170
Popular
Davidk is offline   Reply With Quote