Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2019, 11:39 PM   #1

Default Sewer Hose - 1995 Roadtrek 190 Popular

I acquired a 1995 Roadtrek 190 Popular and have been fixing it up - it was all original and - at least towards the end - seemingly minimally maintained, but in overall generally good condition for age and usage.

Anyhoos, I was trying to replace the sewer hose that goes in the black tube under the driver's seat which besides looking old and worn also had no end to it. I've reviewed the several posts on here regarding the big blue (sewer) hose as well as on other sites. The ones I've found noted to be 3" are in the medium realm of strength (mil, etc.) based on what I found.

As a guy who plans for longevity, it appeared to be a sound idea to obtain one with significant strength (who wants to be splashed with that??), so purchased the Valterra Dominator hoses and cut one end off. However it's much too small diameter to slide over the black PVC pipe. I've even tried the trick to heat it up in water, add silicon grease, and that still doesn't get it over the end of the pipe.

I'm looking for best info on inside diameter of the various sewer hoses - or the strongest best value one that will fit. The Valterra is considered a 3" hose as is the Camco Rhino series.

Does anyone have info on best strength hose that will fit? Or perhaps a method to get PVC all the way to the end and then just use bayonet mounts from there beyond?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Info

(Yes, this is my first post - so far I've been finding everything I've needed by searching this and other forums. Personally, I've got mechanical and electrical background; So far, I've upgraded from single batter to 2 6V batteries, added integrated surge/power protection, dual battery monitor, swapped out the magnetek charger/converter, replaced motor, switch, and damper in range hood, fixed the water heater, swapped to LED fixtures and added lighting, and more. I have indeed searched far and wide to get better info, but nothing seems to discuss actual diameter of hoses, rather using a "3-inch standard hose" designation. I'm also an internet professional, but willing to learn from the community which has already been very helpful in the above mentioned tasks.)
inforiculturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I replaced my sewer hose on my 2004 Roadtrek and all I can tell you is it was a PITA! I did use the 'soak the end in hot water trick' and after much time and effort (also some language) I was able to get the darn thing on. Like you I went with the heavy duty hose so as to avoid having to replace again in the foreseeable future. Don't know if that helps...
ManWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:00 AM   #3

Default [Solved] Sewer Hose Attached

Today, I tackled the job again - attaching the Valterra Dominator hose to the 1995 RoadTrek 190 Popular. I took ManWonder's advice and after resoaking the end in hot water, lubricating the pvc end, crafting a curved piece of sheetmetal to assist in moving the metal hose support onto the PVC end, I scooted under the jacked-up RV again. Then, at the appropriate moment, I added the magic - a few more pieces of colorful language, spoken for only elvis (and me) to hear. And it was attached.

Apparently, as the ancient chinese proverb goes, persistence, even in the absence of genius, provides a path to success. But it was a heck of a job with that hose, but at least I didn't have to waste it.

Thanks for the advice, as well as the off-line encouragement and suggestions.

Now onward to the fridge and generator.... Yeehaw!
inforiculturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:11 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inforiculturist View Post
Today, I tackled the job again - attaching the Valterra Dominator hose to the 1995 RoadTrek 190 Popular. I took ManWonder's advice and after resoaking the end in hot water, lubricating the pvc end, crafting a curved piece of sheetmetal to assist in moving the metal hose support onto the PVC end, I scooted under the jacked-up RV again. Then, at the appropriate moment, I added the magic - a few more pieces of colorful language, spoken for only elvis (and me) to hear. And it was attached.

Apparently, as the ancient chinese proverb goes, persistence, even in the absence of genius, provides a path to success. But it was a heck of a job with that hose, but at least I didn't have to waste it.

Thanks for the advice, as well as the off-line encouragement and suggestions.

Now onward to the fridge and generator.... Yeehaw!

Congratulations inforiculturist and welcome to the forum!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:13 PM   #5
Platinum Member

It's good to hear you got the new hose on! FWIW, I replaced our hose many years ago with a heavy duty hose. To avoid dragging it on the ground I hook up a second, lightweight hose when we dump. I only have to pull a foot or two of the heavy hose out of the pipe in most situations. The lightweight hose lives in a plastic container in the rear storage.

Something you should check for inside the big pipe the hose lives in are screw ends protruding into the pipe. Several owners on a forum I used to belong to reported sheet metal screws that attached the pipe to the hangers were tearing up their hoses.

Bill
rtbill is offline   Reply With Quote