Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Sewer vent cap

As I have dug into our "new to us" class B, I have discovered yet another problem that can't be solved the same way I would solve it in one of our trailers. Here's my latest - how do I cap THIS sewer vent? By the way, while there is only one holding tank, there are two of these vents. They are both pretty close to edges or other obstacles:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(1).JPG (63.3 KB, 952 views)
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:16 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Sewer vent cap

This type should work: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... hite/35183

Worth a try for $5 on sale.

Some people will screen the vent setup you have now. Screen mesh and a hose clamp I guess. Others just leave it as it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sewer vent cap.jpg (12.8 KB, 944 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:25 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The picture you showed is exactly what I have bought for my trailers as the old caps get brittle and break. However, there is nothing inside this vent for this cap to "bite" and I am afraid it would just fly off. I have never seen a vent opening like this...what did it look like when it comes from the factory?
Old 01-11-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
This type should work: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... hite/35183

Worth a try for $5 on sale.

Some people will screen the vent setup you have now. Screen mesh and a hose clamp I guess. Others just leave it as it is.
Very timely, as I have been trying to decide what to do with our vent. I have heard various folks claim that a cap can disrupt the airflow when driving and cause smell in the van, but I do like that cap over using just a screen like I was thinking of doing. May just order one and try it, as it would be easy to take back off.

I did talk to one guy in a campground, who parked his trailer under trees at home all the time, who said he had seen tree seeds and other debris come out when he flushed his tanks after sitting. That would not have been good if he had a macerator
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:02 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Our Pleasure-way Plateau had an open cap as pictured. Our Great West Van Legend had a cover. Our house has an open cap. I am not sure it is a real concern if you have an unimpeded straight drop to the holding tanks. Leaves and seeds would quickly turn to sludge and just flush out. Why wouldn't a macerator handle that? Not that much would fall in a two inch opening. Rainwater itself is absolutely minimal unless you don't believe the amount you see in rain gauges. That's about what you would get. I question caps causing any kind of odor problem. Your sinks and toilet are trapped and it shouldn't happen if the traps are checked and maintained. Peace of mind is mostly what you would get capping a vent.

I parked at home under an urban forest of trees for 5 years with the open cap Pleasure-way Plateau. Never had any problems. Can't say what came out the dump hose as I never look at that.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:55 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Our Pleasure-way Plateau had an open cap as pictured. Our Great West Van Legend had a cover. Our house has an open cap. I am not sure it is a real concern if you have an unimpeded straight drop to the holding tanks. Leaves and seeds would quickly turn to sludge and just flush out. Why wouldn't a macerator handle that? Not that much would fall in a two inch opening. Rainwater itself is absolutely minimal unless you don't believe the amount you see in rain gauges. That's about what you would get. I question caps causing any kind of odor problem. Your sinks and toilet are trapped and it shouldn't happen if the traps are checked and maintained. Peace of mind is mostly what you would get capping a vent.

I parked at home under an urban forest of trees for 5 years with the open cap Pleasure-way Plateau. Never had any problems. Can't say what came out the dump hose as I never look at that.
You didn't have a macerator. They don't pass 1/4" sticks or acorns very well . Anything that goes down a 1.5" (on ours) pipe will make it out of gravity system without issue, like the guy with the trailer, but not with a pump.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #7
Platinum Member

What about squirrel bones?

It has been a few years but a squirrel fell into hour house vent. For more than a day we could hear the poor thing try to climb back out. Whether he died there or finally fell through and tried the sewer we'll never know.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:42 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

This is what i would put on it if I was worried about it. http://www.amazon.com/360-Siphon-RV-Fum ... +vent+caps
silicone it on

We have one of these on our ERA black tank now. Works ok http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40595-Cyclo ... +vent+caps

This is on our current gray tank http://www.amazon.com/Ventline-62334-Wh ... +vent+caps
2 of the 3 tabs that hold the lid on have broke in 2 years, but the lid itself is screwed on so it'll never come off

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:54 PM   #9
Platinum Member

rjf7g - you could try one of those caps to see if it fits. Set it in place and twist it to score the inside of the pipe. A Dremel with a cutting wheel could grind two shallow notches on the score line in the pipe. No idea if that would work - you'll have to tell us if you do it.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:58 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay
This is what i would put on it if I was worried about it. http://www.amazon.com/360-Siphon-RV-Fum ... +vent+caps
silicone it on

We have one of these on our ERA black tank now. Works ok http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40595-Cyclo ... +vent+caps

This is on our current gray tank http://www.amazon.com/Ventline-62334-Wh ... +vent+caps
2 of the 3 tabs that hold the lid on have broke in 2 years, but the lid itself is screwed on so it'll never come off
I bought two of #1 to install and there is not enough room around either vent. I have an extra #2 from replacing vents on one of my trailers (Camping World had them BOGO one time while I was in the store) and I tried it to see how it would do. Same issue...if open vents are the standard on a class B, I can let go of it! I have had 3 trailers and a class C and have never seen vents like I have on my B...

Thanks for the feedback...I may get the standard replacement caps and install them with the silver part on the outside, using a hose clamp to secure it.