Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2020, 10:52 PM   #1

Default Shopping for a class B with two three-point seat belts behind the driver

Hey I live down here in Galveston Texas, mostly me and my wife will travel in the summer, we're both in the school districts, but in a few years our grandchildren which are now two months old and two years old will travel with us and definitely interested in two three-point seat belts behind us or at least on a forward facing couch in the rear.

Really like the Roadtrek Zion 2020 model to get the two year unlimited warranty with the two three-point seat belts on the couch in the back, and with the SRT it wouldn't be too far away.

Looked at the Thor Tellaro AT model, with the push up top option.

Love the Winnebago Solis, but with no rear AC that's going to be a definite no, but has the 3 point seat belts.

Definitely love the Travatos, but no three-point seat belts behind the driver in that particular model.

The road trek adventurous CS and RS are an option, there's quite a few out there still brand new from 18 and 19 and I am aware of the recall for the second row seats but I would definitely want to have those seats, but I know that's a big expense at my own cost to fix the seat belts correctly, and no warranty on the road tracks 18 and 19's except for I guess the $1,500 maybe.

Just found out about the Regency Traveler made in Fort Worth Texas, the model SPT. Has a 7-4 interior height has two 3-point seat belts behind the driver, And it sure seems like there's two three-point seat belts on the forward facing couch in the rear, so definitely checking one of those out this week on the north side of Houston.

Sorry so long, I would love to hear all your very experienced help, and anything else you might suggest, i sure enjoy this forum.
roncreighton@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:46 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Our teens ride on the rear sofa of our Chevy Roadtrek, and the separation is nice. The dash A/C makes it back there... eventually. With little kids it’d be better to have them right behind you.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:01 AM   #3

I appreciate it that's good advice
Old 05-20-2020, 02:28 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roncreighton@gmail.com View Post
I appreciate it that's good advice
A belated "Welcome to the forum Ron!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:08 PM   #5
Gold Member

We use our 2015 E-Trek mostly as a travel coach with amenities. It serves as base camp when taking guests to remote trailheads and our grandkids love the idea of traveling in a vehicle with a refrigerator which serves up snacks. As a result the bench seat in the back and the second row two captains chairs are essential.

I have always considered the auxiliary seats as less than fully safe due to no headrests and being very close to a very thin rear door. The seatbelt recall adds a little to these concerns but in my case not a lot. I have no current plans to have the seat belts modified. My choice is to drive extremely defensively if I have extra precious cargo aboard. Even with the seat belt issue I would consider the rear bench seat the most vulnerable location due to rear end collisions. It is most definitely the least comfortable due to the rough ride. Running a rear air conditioner is a must in brilliant AZ sunshine or during muggy Northeast summers.

Everyone has their own risk judgement and safety precautions. Using the toilet facilities while underway is generally discouraged and frowned on, but sadly it has been know to happen where my wife is concerned on a stable, lightly trafficed stretch of interstate.
JohnnyCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:00 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCLE View Post
I have always considered the auxiliary seats as less than fully safe due to no headrests and being very close to a very thin rear door. Even with the seat belt issue I would consider the rear bench seat the most vulnerable location due to rear end collisions
The lack of head restraints bothers me, too. Even the regular passenger versions of the Chevy Express vans lack them. Commercial vehicles and RVs seem to have a lot of loopholes in safety regulations. I’m still convinced a Class B is better than a Class A or C for occupant safety overall. At least the 3-point belts use the same factory attachment points as the passenger van version.

When we’re traveling in the camper with our teens in the way-back seat, we have a small travel trailer behind us, adding a little bit of crumple zone protection.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:11 PM   #7

Thx great advice
Old 05-23-2020, 03:34 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Commercial vehicles and RVs seem to have a lot of loopholes in safety regulations.

SUV's and pick ups are classed as "Light Trucks" and exempt from many of the safety regs in cars.

as we use pick ups and SUV's as "cars" we assume they are manufactured and designed to same standard...they are not

crumple zones, 5 MPH bumpers, restraints, glass, roll over, fuel tank, blind spots, structure and etc ( incl protections for pedestrians)

because they don;t have to adhere to regs, they are less expensive to build and there is more margin.
Makers have really pushed this segment the past 20 years-

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:35 PM   #9
Silver Member

The 170 Ext Passage from Midwest Auto has two chairs right behind the driver. Seems comparable to the others.

--b
BrianCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:56 AM   #10

Thanks for letting me know I'm looking at everything. We drove the Regency Traveler today very very impressed.
The explorer model SPT. it actually comes with a sumo springs already installed, on that model only, they have three different floor plans and this one has the bed that goes up and down above the couch very nice, and then 7 ft 4 inside the cab and even the bath room with 7 ft 4 in that model only.
We drove it very impressed.
On that model it pretty much stickers like 109,000, nobody's went under $99,000 as a best quote to me yet. The dealer told me after the test drive that they had like 96 in it I don't really believe that and if they did I'm sure there's rebates and all the secret money they don't tell you about.

So pretty much conclude that it's going to be that one if I can get that model for 90000, And I messed up and showed the wife the pleasure land lexor fl, And of course they sticker for about 126-ish and I know they don't discount much, so does anybody know anything about pricing on the lexor, am I even going to be able to get down to 110000, that would be my choice the FL, that model is top quality
Old 05-28-2020, 05:41 PM   #11

roncreighton: take a good look at VanDOit:LIV. It's a campervan, not an RV. At full-build out with ALL the options, it's comparably priced with the Solis. But it seats up to 8 with 3-way seatbelts for all, plus airbags for ALL passengers. It's not "posh" like an RV, but incredibly versatile. They can build on a gently used Ford Transit (high top or mid roof) or brand new. Starts around &60K and upwards past $100K with the big options. BTW: it blows away the Solis in so many ways.
David King in SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:48 PM   #12

roncreigton: if you can get past the more utilitarian feel in the cabin, the VanDOit:LIV (20' long on a Ford Transit passenger chassis) is amazing. You don't need to spend over $100K because the LIV is an options-approach, not a one-size-fits-all. They offer both AC on the roof, plus AC/heat from the engine through floor/ceiling ducts to the back (this is because it's built on a passenger van, not a cargo van). You can also just get the MAXX fan which is adequate for much of the time. They offer many, many options so I found it difficult to keep it under $100K. Plan to buy in a month or so.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:06 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David King in SB View Post
Plan to buy in a month or so.

Hey David,

Welcome to the forum

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:37 PM   #14

Default VanDOit rocks!

[QUOTE=mkguitar;108911]Hey David,

Welcome to the forum

Thanks Mike. Haven't been here for a few years. Searched for a small RV from 2017-2019 (read everything I could, attended RV shows, etc) and finally concluded that the adaptability of the VanDOit campervan has everything I need with fewer compromises than an RV--especially on safety, seating, and flexibility. In fact, there are a lot of advantages of the LIV over small RVs. For safety, the LIV provides 3-way seatbelts (for up to 8 passengers)--ever hear of that in a class-B?, airbags for all passengers (elsewhere?), offers AWD or 4x4, and the new 2020 chassis has a suite of electronic safety controls very similar to the MB Sprinter.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:07 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David King in SB View Post
roncreigton: if you can get past the more utilitarian feel in the cabin, the VanDOit:LIV (20' long on a Ford Transit passenger chassis) is amazing. You don't need to spend over $100K because the LIV is an options-approach, not a one-size-fits-all. They offer both AC on the roof, plus AC/heat from the engine through floor/ceiling ducts to the back (this is because it's built on a passenger van, not a cargo van). You can also just get the MAXX fan which is adequate for much of the time. They offer many, many options so I found it difficult to keep it under $100K. Plan to buy in a month or so.
For the first time I see T-slot aluminum profiles, perhaps 80/20, and HDPE used by a commercial van conversion company. My preference is less utilitarian finish but exposed slots provide more flexibility. T-slot aluminum profile technology is very popular in DIY community, flexible, light weight, easy to modify or to add components, solid in vibration environment and waterproof.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 01:11 PM   #16

My 3D printers always has the T slots full of junk. I would certainly fill those T slot holes when not in use. Alibaba sells rubber trim for common extrusions.
avongil is offline   Reply With Quote