Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2018, 06:16 PM   #21
Platinum Member

To make laminated core board durable enough would likely require the complication of adding wood inserts wherever screw attachments were needed.

They use similar stuff in aviation so it certainly can be done in a van. But at what cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2018, 01:47 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Yes, cost would be a factor but even worse would probably be the customization ARV extensively does to their cabinetry with customers. It probably would no longer be practical.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #23

Go with Roadtrek. I have a 2018 SS Agile 4x4 with 800 amp Lithium Phosphate, voltstart, underhood generator, and solar. Have yet had to use shore power.
z_spatula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:20 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_spatula View Post
Go with Roadtrek. I have a 2018 SS Agile 4x4 with 800 amp Lithium Phosphate, voltstart, underhood generator, and solar. Have yet had to use shore power.
Nice to hear from a satisfied Roadtrek customer!
Old 05-18-2018, 07:35 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Default 2018 Midwest Passage

Just noticed another member's post about another short Sprinter B-van. The Midwest Passage.

https://midwestautomotivedesigns.com...ns/passage-144
Old 05-18-2018, 09:24 PM   #26
Platinum Member

For our conversion we selected 144” WB and never look back. For two of us this length is just right. We would prefer a permanent bed but at this size it is not really feasible if living space would need to be retained. I spent considerable time simplifying sofa to bed and bed to sofa making. It takes seconds to change including spreading or storing the bedding.

Our camping life style is to move every few days, use campgrounds facilities as much we can. Our camper is set for very quick preparation needed to set-up camping or get ready for driving.

We often drive on forestry roads, camp of rough campsite so road clearance and short rear overhang were important. I practically retained factory road clearance, no side skirts, no low hanging LPG tank nor black and grey water tank drain pipes.

If we would be in situation of needing more space we would likely jump to a small C-class RV, hopefully without pull-outs, but not to a longer B-class.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:04 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
For our conversion we selected 144” WB and never look back. For two of us this length is just right. We would prefer a permanent bed but at this size it is not really feasible if living space would need to be retained. I spent considerable time simplifying sofa to bed and bed to sofa making. It takes seconds to change including spreading or storing the bedding.

Our camping life style is to move every few days, use campgrounds facilities as much we can. Our camper is set for very quick preparation needed to set-up camping or get ready for driving.

We often drive on forestry roads, camp of rough campsite so road clearance and short rear overhang were important. I practically retained factory road clearance, no side skirts, no low hanging LPG tank nor black and grey water tank drain pipes.

If we would be in situation of needing more space we would likely jump to a small C-class RV, hopefully without pull-outs, but not to a longer B-class.
Thanks George - your DIY conversion is an Internet legend. Did you have the finished van weighed?

Interesting that you mentioned a small C-class. They seem to be the most popular in Europe. The use nice light weight materials that allow a use of the 3.5t cab-chassis. I just found a Swiss company that makes the light weight balsa wood panel that keep the weight down.
https://www.airexbaltekbanova.com/ma.../interior.html

They have an operation in High Pint, NC
Old 05-18-2018, 10:58 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Thanks George - your DIY conversion is an Internet legend. Did you have the finished van weighed?

Interesting that you mentioned a small C-class. They seem to be the most popular in Europe. The use nice light weight materials that allow a use of the 3.5t cab-chassis. I just found a Swiss company that makes the light weight balsa wood panel that keep the weight down.
https://www.airexbaltekbanova.com/ma.../interior.html

They have an operation in High Pint, NC
Thank you for kind words. I used the scale on the route to the coast last week, the van weighed 8000 +/-50 lbs. The van was fully loaded, 20G water (12G fresh, 4G hot and 4G flush), week of supplies including a lot of mineral water, rear cargo Stowaway 2 box filled to the brim, diesel tank full and both of us.

C class offers great design flexibility, manufacturing can be done from inside out, option to use very light weight materials, adhesive constructions, etc.

Cheers,
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:39 PM   #29

Default Midwest Automotive has a solar option that includes lithium ion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Just noticed another member's post about another short Sprinter B-van. The Midwest Passage.

https://midwestautomotivedesigns.com...ns/passage-144
They told me the package was expensive but allowed them to totally dispense with the generator. They went with an Espar heater but not diesel powered hat water.
They said 400 watt solar and 600 amp hours of lithium ion battery. Thus, it does not meet Dayvd's (spelling?) 800 requirement but not too bad.

Walk in His Peace,
Scribe with a Stylus
Scribe with a Stylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:10 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Default Probably the 144 for me

I won't be purchasing a class B for a couple more years, but I've been researching them for about a year now, which has helped be refine what my priorities and preferences are. At first, I was dead set on a 170 WB Sprinter 3500 extended chassis because I'm planning to live almost full time in it for the first couple years of my retirement and I wanted to have ample space. However, after months of reading and watching videos on YouTube, I decided that smaller is better, for me. Larger size adds weight, reduces payload/towing capacity, reduces fuel economy, limits where you can go, etc. Now I'm planning to get the smallest rig I can tolerate that serves my needs, and that's a 144" WB Sprinter 2500 4x4.

I'm leaning towards contracting a custom build because none of the brands that offer the 144" chassis offers what I really want, which is true 4 season capability, all electric appliances with diesel heat/hot water, large lithium battery, as much solar as will fit, no propane on board.
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:27 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4grins View Post
We just went through re-thinking RV's. The Coachmen 22C Ford Transit started the process. To try and make a long story short, here's we came out. Our Sprinter 2500 Agile SS is a 2014 we bought used with 10,700 miles on it and great condition. As a 144" wb we can park it just about anywhere. The bed is virtually a kingsize and extremely comfortable. We did a few upgrades like a heavier sway bar to help deal with high winds better; got rid of the Vanco tire and put on the Michelin Defenders M+S for far better rain and light snow handling, superior ride and great wear. On the Sprinter they gave us a first class ride and helped mileage slightly. The 2014 has more storage than more current models because of larger batteries in the newer ones.
As for the Coachmen Crossfit, we like the gas fuel, and the ability to have it serviced at the local Ford Dealer, our nearest MB mechanic is about 125 miles away. The shower is marginally the same size and would only be used if the campground or park didn't have modern, comfortable restrooms. The Crossfit has the 3.6 v6 turbo and a great transmission.
With our slight changes, took the tv out because we like the quite. Anyway, we opted to stay with the SS Agile, because it is agile, gets better mileage(fuel costs are about the same). The Sprinter 2500 is like the sports car of class B's. Great power to weight ratio compared to the Transit and we would have to start over with the modifications on the Transit. The Transit needs to use its space better and have more storage, and shower creativity and the driver seat needs to swivel. The bed in the Sprinter is more comfortable than we have at home. All these things are akin to living in a sailboat i.e. minimize stuff, and "a place for everything and everything in it's place."
I'm pretty sure the Coachmen Crossfit is only available with Ford's naturally aspirated 3.7 V6, unless they've recently made a change. The Crossfit can be ordered from Ford with the EcoBoost 3.5 twin turbo, but last I checked Coachmen doesn't offer it. Frankly, when I looked at the Crossfit, the chassis was very thin on factory options. I think some upfiters cheap out on the chassis to allow for more of a markup on the conversion.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:44 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhectorg View Post
I'm pretty sure the Coachmen Crossfit is only available with Ford's naturally aspirated 3.7 V6, unless they've recently made a change. The Crossfit can be ordered from Ford with the EcoBoost 3.5 twin turbo, but last I checked Coachmen doesn't offer it. Frankly, when I looked at the Crossfit, the chassis was very thin on factory options. I think some upfiters cheap out on the chassis to allow for more of a markup on the conversion.
Coachmen offers the Crossfit with the 3.5L Ecoboost, in fact there are a half-dozen of them at dealerships now. I expect there will be more soon since that is the most popular engine.

Not sure what factory options you wanted, but the Crossfit is built on the XLT (upgraded) chassis with dual rear wheels and a heavy-duty sway bar. Coachmen is adding Supersprings in the rear and Sumos in the front. Mine came with the factory installed towing package as standard, dual AGM batteries and the heavy-duty alternator and a tow-haul function.

The only possible upgrades I can think of that are not on the Crossfit are the limited slip differential and early versions didn't have Ford's Sync3, which also deleted lane assist. I think all of the new EcoBoost versions have Sync3. Not sure about limited slip.

Did I miss something? I agree that many manufacturers cheap out on the chassis to keep the costs down, but I don't think that is true for the Crossfit.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Coachmen offers the Crossfit with the 3.5L Ecoboost, in fact there are a half-dozen of them at dealerships now. I expect there will be more soon since that is the most popular engine.

Not sure what factory options you wanted, but the Crossfit is built on the XLT (upgraded) chassis with dual rear wheels and a heavy-duty sway bar. Coachmen is adding Supersprings in the rear and Sumos in the front. Mine came with the factory installed towing package as standard, dual AGM batteries and the heavy-duty alternator and a tow-haul function.

The only possible upgrades I can think of that are not on the Crossfit are the limited slip differential and early versions didn't have Ford's Sync3, which also deleted lane assist. I think all of the new EcoBoost versions have Sync3. Not sure about limited slip.

Did I miss something? I agree that many manufacturers cheap out on the chassis to keep the costs down, but I don't think that is true for the Crossfit.
You're right. I just looked it up and they have upped the specs since I looked at them. Initially it was definitely 3.7 only and the chassis features were very thin. They've added a lot, but you still can't get Sync, which is essential as connected as we all are these days. Not having decent infotainment is a deal breaker for some. The other big complaint I had was the size of the bed. It's shorter than I am by a few inches, which I could probably deal with if everything else was on point, but it's not. At least not to my liking.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:22 PM   #34
Bronze Member

Davydd- From your post a few weeks ago, it seems you have thoughts (and plans) for an RB size Sprinter. Do you mind sharing floor plans? We're considering RB vs EB with Sportsmobile for extended 3-6 months or longer trips. I believe that less is more, but I really appreciate feedback based on experience from people who've been living in the longer model and feel like the shorter models are practical. Thanks-
joelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:28 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelm View Post
Davydd- From your post a few weeks ago, it seems you have thoughts (and plans) for an RB size Sprinter. Do you mind sharing floor plans? We're considering RB vs EB with Sportsmobile for extended 3-6 months or longer trips. I believe that less is more, but I really appreciate feedback based on experience from people who've been living in the longer model and feel like the shorter models are practical. Thanks-
Plans are now in the hands of Advanced RV to see if feasible. Even though I've created 2D plans in MacDraft and 3D designs in SketchUp, they are redrawing in 3D Solidworks which has database capabilities for calculating sizes, weights, bill of materials, etc. Also, they have 3D drawings of the Sprinter for more accurate results including underneath for tanks and such. We did a one day mockup in a stripped cargo van after Advanced Fest but that was tape on the floor and a few constructs to get a visual look. I needed that to get my wife on board. She was skeptical and didn't want to give a lot of things up.

Advanced RV is kind of looking at customer input for now to create a base model. I know of two ahead of me already but they are based on 4x4 duallies. I don't want a dually or 4x4. In fact I kind of doubt I can execute the design on a dually with the intruding wheel wells. So now the key is can I make it light enough. I'll have to give up my signature design for electric articulating beds in this one.

BTW, the first out the door will be for a full-timer. But she is single. I can create all kinds of designs for a single user or weekenders. It is difficult for two people without giving up a lot, having to create dual use components of either/or use so zoning can be done with two people, not having capacities for long term outings, and comfort over a long term outing of a month or more without wearing out. Kitchens galleys and bathrooms suffer the most.

When the time comes I will share the actual design. I've been thinking about this for a long time including before I went with an EB with Advanced RV. I've gone through three iterations of Sprinters each longer than the other. It is just time for a challenge and change because I want to explore urban areas more and more remote areas like National Forest campgrounds that say 22 ft. limits and mean it because they were conceived for automobiles and tent campers.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:31 AM   #36

Airstream has released a new model on the short Sprinter, called the Sport.

https://youtu.be/9zTfoBWCmB8
Gemlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:53 AM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemlake View Post
Airstream has released a new model on the short Sprinter, called the Sport.

https://youtu.be/9zTfoBWCmB8
My wife likes to say "we started this wave" when we opted for a 144" 18 months back. :> Now everyone is pushing these.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:05 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
My wife likes to say "we started this wave" when we opted for a 144" 18 months back. :> Now everyone is pushing these.
That must be it.

I also read a rumor on the Hymer Aktiv Facebook group a few months ago that Hymer wants to bring its Grand Canyon S, on the short Sprinter, to North America.
Gemlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:09 PM   #39
Bronze Member

Thanks Davydd- I appreciate the feedback. It seems that with the shorter designs out there, you can keep the bed/seating area and most of the galley. What you lose is about 3 feet (which is substantial) of storage space. I'm trying to convince myself (and my wife) that we can fit our stuff into such a small space and not be missing much.
I agree with you, the shorter vehicle will open up places to visit.
joelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:26 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelm View Post
Thanks Davydd- I appreciate the feedback. It seems that with the shorter designs out there, you can keep the bed/seating area and most of the galley. What you lose is about 3 feet (which is substantial) of storage space. I'm trying to convince myself (and my wife) that we can fit our stuff into such a small space and not be missing much.
I agree with you, the shorter vehicle will open up places to visit.
It comes down to a bit in the back under the sofa and that extra storage hutch. We are minimalists at heart and we seem to have extra room in ours each trip we have gone on. We added 6 pull out plastic bins (Container store I think) that hold and organize all sorts of things under the sofa.

We also pack depending on the trip. Hiking gets outfitted one way, leisure/beach and such get another set of things. Masks, snorkels, bathing suits verses extra shoes, hiking poles and backpacks. We have made both work but we tend to not over-pack even before owning a "b".

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote