Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2015, 03:13 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
I got it now, there is no low point connection to the black tank to attach a macerator to. I thought you mentioned you could use a macerator to dump the black tank offshore so I assumed you could do the same to send it down a sewer clean out.
You could if there was a fitting you could attach something to. The thru-hull is a smooth, circular orifice. There is nothing to attach a discharge hose to. Could get messy really quick!
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:19 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
You could if there was a fitting you could attach something to. The thru-hull is a smooth, circular orifice. There is nothing to attach a discharge hose to. Could get messy really quick!
No sh*t
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:20 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Geez.... I never knew this. I have been a guest on several nice boats and the paper roll was there and everything looked as it does in my home bathroom.

Sounds like you need to take a beginners course before you buy.

Thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Oh, one more piece of info that may be TMI for some of you. Many sailboat charter companies and more than a few sailors have the rule "Nothing is to be put down the head unless it has been digested first" What this means is the toilet paper does NOT go down the toilet but is collected in a "head bag" which is put in with the trash when you are next on shore. The reason for this is (1) marine toilets easily clog, almost always from the toilet paper. It is a messy, stinky job to clean out a marine toilet (2) it minimizes how fast the holding tank fills up. You can go add days to the capacity, if you do not need to use all that water to flush the paper, too; the toilet paper takes up capacity, too.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:38 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
Geez.... I never knew this. I have been a guest on several nice boats and the paper roll was there and everything looked as it does in my home bathroom.

Sounds like you need to take a beginners course before you buy.

Thanks for sharing
Probably the difference between owners who've had troubles with a faulty head and those that haven't. I guess if I had to be arm deep into a poo tank to repair/unclog it, I'd install a wastebasket for paper too.

Last fishing charter I was on had a wastebasket set up. The captain gave us a stern warning about the head and threatened to throw anyone overboard who clogged it up.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:06 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
Last fishing charter I was on had a wastebasket set up. The captain gave us a stern warning about the head and threatened to throw anyone overboard who clogged it up.
LOL!!! Yep, I have had that said to me, too. I know many boat owners who follow this rule, too. They know how to use just 3 or 4 sheets of tp at a time, but their guests don't! Once when on a charter boat, where the skipper went "eeewww" about using a "head bag", one of the guests - even after being told to minimize tp - almost clogged the toilet with a huge handful of tp.

And this always happens after you have dropped anchor in some gorgeous gunkhole, sitting down with your favorite beverage, good food, some good friends and you only have one head on the boat.

Yes, everything looks like your home bathroom, but it works entirely differently.

I have read on other forums RVers complaining on one hand about the small holding tank and on the other saying they always use lots of flush water to keep the tp from piling up in the middle of the tank and to make it easier to empty, because of the tp. A head bag will help with that issue.

Yes, there are many things to learn from boaters.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:16 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Quote:

What I haven't figured out is if you flush out the onboard holding tank like you do with an RV tank. I hadn't planned to separate the paper though - I was going to use RV paper with dissolves pretty well.
Use 3-4 sheets of "marine" or "rv" tp (and your guests need to do the same - that's the hard part) and you will be fine. While you pump out, have someone standing by the toilet and about when you think you are halfway done, have them start filling the bowl with water and flushing it. Do that several times; it will help your rinse out the tank. Also, there usually is an accessible inspection port, so you could - maybe once a year - open that (tank empty, please!) and fill with water with a spray hose, then go to a pump station and pump out. Also many of the tanks are translucent, so with a flashlight up to the top or side of the tank, you can get any idea of how much stuff is building on the sides.

There are a whole series of things one needs to do in the maintenance of a marine toilet.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Saw this Huffington Post story as a way to do away with TP all together.

Guess this has potential as an RV or Marine solution. BumGun

They won't win any awards for subtlety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Use 3-4 sheets of "marine" or "rv" tp (and your guests need to do the same - that's the hard part) and you will be fine. While you pump out, have someone standing by the toilet and about when you think you are halfway done, have them start filling the bowl with water and flushing it. Do that several times; it will help your rinse out the tank. Also, there usually is an accessible inspection port, so you could - maybe once a year - open that (tank empty, please!) and fill with water with a spray hose, then go to a pump station and pump out. Also many of the tanks are translucent, so with a flashlight up to the top or side of the tank, you can get any idea of how much stuff is building on the sides.

There are a whole series of things one needs to do in the maintenance of a marine toilet.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #48
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Advanced RV is building an RV incorporating most boating standards. You will likely see it at the RV.net Lucky 13 B-13 Rally or Advanced Fest in May.
Can you give more detailed information? Thanks
classbbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:46 PM   #49
Platinum Member

Quote:
Saw this Huffington Post story as a way to do away with TP all together.

Guess this has potential as an RV or Marine solution. BumGun

They won't win any awards for subtlety.
Yes, very big in Japan, but American manufacturers - American Standard, Kohler, etc. - now offer optional toilet seats that have this. Yes, less tp, but more water; at home just fine, but in an RV, where one usually wants to minimize water usage and what goes into the tank, maybe not.

Always a trade-off somewhere.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:01 PM   #50
Site Team

Well, if you want to give it a try, Thetford will sell you one of these for like $20:

Advertised for "bowl cleaning", but....

---

Ever travel in India?? Do you know why it is impolite to eat with your left hand?
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #51
Platinum Member

Maybe as an RV and boat space-saver concept we could adopt a Chinese sensibility and free up room for a larger shower? All you need is a cover for the 'pit' and a fold-down sink (i.e. Travato). Eliminate the wastepaper basket, reduce some weight, and incorporate a light weight privacy screen.

Chinese Space Saver Approach

Old 12-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #52
Site Team

Quote:
Maybe as an RV and boat space-saver concept we could adopt a Chinese sensibility and free up room for a larger shower? All you need is a cover for the 'pit' and a fold-down sink (i.e. Travato). Eliminate the wastepaper basket, reduce some weight, and incorporate a light weight privacy screen.
Fantastic idea. Don't forget to put up one of these:

avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:10 PM   #53
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Well, if you want to give it a try, Thetford will sell you one of these for like $20:

Advertised for "bowl cleaning", but....
LOL! But that may be just a bit messy, overspray and all. Maybe a high tech version like this travel "washlet" from TOTO

http://www.totousa.com/travel-washlet®
Old 12-11-2015, 01:05 AM   #54
Platinum Member

Only $50 on Amazon

Luxe Bidet

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:42 AM   #55
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
Only $50 on Amazon

Luxe Bidet
Sounds neat, but then I read no electric and "a cold water connection". Brrrrr That will wake you up in the morning!

I'll take the one that has an electrical connection and heats the water.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:59 PM   #56
Platinum Member

Actually, if you got this, you wouldn't need that:

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 12-11-2015, 01:23 PM   #57
Platinum Member

Quote:
Actually, if you got this............
LOL!!!

I won't even ask how you found that on the internet, but you can get yours here

Amazon.com: Squatty Potty® Toilet Stool, 7 Inch- The Original - Made in U.S.A.: Health & Personal Care

Won't work with my Thetford setup, so maybe I will just use a milk crate
Old 12-11-2015, 03:51 PM   #58
Platinum Member

So now that we have taken that subject about as far as we can go and before we get any further into "TMI" territory --- back to the thread "Should boat builders get into the RV business ?", I found how -- maybe -- to get the best of both worlds:

https://roadtrippers.com/stories/mee...=-96.67528&z=5

I am not sure if I would trust it in any weather that is more than calm day on a lake, though. Boat builders getting in the RV business is one thing, but RV builders making boats??? Probably not a good idea. They have a lot to learn about hull design.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:42 PM   #59
Platinum Member

Funny, periodically that thing makes an appearance on the forums as if someone just discovered it. This one is over 10 years old and supposedly cost $1 million if someone was actually fool-hardy enough to buy it.

I could get a hell of a real yacht for $1 million. You can get a 50 foot Nordhavn that can travel the world for $500-750k (used of course).

In the example, look for the small clues that it's old - the tube style TV with VHS deck in the stateroom, the two piece glass windshield, etc.

God only knows how many seals, valves and other hardware must be constantly maintained to keep if from sinking to the bottom. Not to mention the corrossion issues!
Old 12-11-2015, 09:21 PM   #60
Platinum Member

For a million I could buy a very nice boat and a very nice Class B!

Definitely does not look like a planing hull.