Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2022, 11:57 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Should I replace old Bilstein shocks

Hi friends,
I have about 130,000 miles on my Bilstein shocks. Chevy PW 3500. Had them inspected, no leaks. Mechanic says 'no leaks, no problem'.

Do you know if they lose their performance with age/milage? Will my van ride better with new ones compared to these that have 130,000 miles?

Thanks for your input.
Asphalt Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 12:14 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Addict View Post
Mechanic says 'no leaks, no problem'.

that kinda says it
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 01:09 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I have about 100,000 miles on Bilsteins on Roadtrek 210P Chev Express 3500. Van is right at max gross weight. I wondered as you are if the shocks were possibly worn out. I took the rear shocks loose and they still had pressure and extended all the way out. I had to put a jack under them to push and retract them enough to get the bolt back in. I assumed if they held pressure that was a good sign they are good.

I didn't try the front shocks.

Also, going over a speed bump a still get good damping with just one rebound cycle and then only a small part of a second rebound. I think that tells me they are good. But I am not an auto tech so hopefully someone with more expertise can weigh in here.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 03:10 AM   #4
Bronze Member

Perhaps relevant experince:

2002 Chevy 2500HD pickup. I installed Bilsteins front and rear when truck was < 2 years old. In 2020 with ~ 130,000 miles on the clock I decided to replace to shocks before a cross country trip. The front Bilsteins had rusted significantly on the exterior and I was worried about a catastrophic failure of the body. I also assumed they were work internally.

Once I got the Bilsteins off the front, I realized they were in much better condition than they appeared. They still had gas pressure, there were no oil leaks on the shaft and damping appeared to be intact. I'm sure they were not as good as new, but they were definitely serviceable.

Replaced them anyway since I had them off the truck, but it was not the best use of my $ or time in hindsight.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:42 AM   #5
Silver Member

Hi George. Thanks for the post. Did you notice any improvement with the new shocks even though the old ones seemed good? I'm assuming you replaced with Bilstein?
Old 07-29-2022, 01:14 PM   #6
Platinum Member

If you are really bugged, changing the front shocks takes about 30 minutes for the front of a chevy.

that includes the time to order them online, collect your tools, brew coffee and wash hands afterwards.

do the fronts, and if that changes your drive, do the rear ( about 2 hours due to jacking up the van and having to work around the rv stuff )
Old 07-29-2022, 02:36 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Addict View Post
Hi George. Thanks for the post. Did you notice any improvement with the new shocks even though the old ones seemed good? I'm assuming you replaced with Bilstein?
I installed Rancho on the front as a cheaper alternative over the Bilsteins given the age of the truck.

I would like to think that the ride improved, but any improvement was slight. I didn't notice a marked difference from the old shocks.

I should also add that I didn't touch the rear Bilsteins after my experience on the front. They're still working fine at 150k miles while I wait for GM to release a 2500 with the improved interior.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:20 PM   #8
Silver Member

Thanks for all your help. After getting a lot of opinions from the web I decide to ask Bilstein. The tech said that after that many miles (130k) they will wear out. The shaft gets smaller, other parts he mentioned that wear I don't remember. He also said the oil /gas breaks down. He said a new set will show a major improvement so I will order today and let you know if I'm happy or out $400.
1994 PW TD (225,000)
1987 Ford 350 Self conversion (260,000)
Old 07-29-2022, 05:21 PM   #9
Silver Member

Thanks for all your help. After getting a lot of opinions from the web I decide to ask Bilstein. The tech said that after that many miles (130k) they will wear out. The shaft gets smaller, other parts he mentioned that wear I don't remember. He also said the oil /gas breaks down. He said a new set will show a major improvement so I will order today and let you know if I'm happy or out $400.
1994 PW TD (225,000)
1987 Ford 350 Self conversion (260,000)
Old 07-29-2022, 06:16 PM   #10
Platinum Member

when I shopped my best price was tirerack- but shop around as the price varies greatly
Old 07-30-2022, 10:36 AM   #11
Platinum Member

I got here too late, however I would have asked if you've noticed any unusual tire wear, or if the van bobs up and down for seemingly too long after going over bumps, or if you physically try and swing the van from side to side does it stay stable (it should stop any sway almost immediately). If not issues w/ any of these I would simple monitor these conditions and not buy the shocks yet. Having said all that 130K is a lot of miles on a set of shocks but they may just be that good!
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 02:26 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
when I shopped my best price was tirerack- but shop around as the price varies greatly
Check Autozone. With coupon they may be cheaper. Also easier to return if there is a problem.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 07:55 PM   #13
Gold Member

Be aware when replacing the shocks that road and rust effects have worked on the lower bolts of the shocks. On the 02CRT the rears are bolted into replaceable j nuts but the fronts go into nuts welded to the lower control arm. Despite several applications of PB blaster I managed to break off one of the lower front bolts off. Along with the ball joints being old, leaky, tired bushings and one bad lug stud that I've opted for a full front end rebuild, suspension, coils, shocks, control arms, steering, wheel bearings, rotors and brakes. I hope that both the required and preventive maintenance will contribute to a better and safer ride.
Floorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 04:04 PM   #14
Silver Member

UPDATE: I pulled out the rear shocks and tested them against the new Bilstein by placing one end on the driveway and pushing them down. They seemed pretty close. So to justify replacing them I thought 'maybe when the get hot they lose their effectiveness'. I replaced all four without any challenges.
Test 1. I took it out for a short ride and did not notice much difference. Am I out $406?

Test 2. The wife test. Took a longer ride through the mountains were we live. Lots of curves. Doesn't seem to sway as much she says. I agree, I say. Wife happy, end of story. Got my moneys worth.

Thanks for all your help,
Jim
2008 Chevy PW Lexor 150K