Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2020, 12:45 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Shower faucet blow hole?

One of the challenges during our first trip in our new-to-us 2011 Roadtrek was water spraying out through the hole near where the shower hose screws onto the faucet. The hose fitting is knurled plastic and seems to be designed for hand tightening and Ive tightened it as much as I can.
Yet this "blow hole" continues to dribble water onto the toilet area when showering. The outside shower faucet is the same unit and its blow hole does the same thing.
Is there some water pressure issue? I think I have the system in summer mode.

While on the topic of water pressure, the kitchen sink pressure is low on cold and ok on hot. Air pocket?

Thank you

Eric
2014 Camry hybrid-soulless transport appliance
MagicBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:42 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBox View Post
One of the challenges during our first trip in our new-to-us 2011 Roadtrek was water spraying out through the hole near where the shower hose screws onto the faucet. The hose fitting is knurled plastic and seems to be designed for hand tightening and Ive tightened it as much as I can.
Yet this "blow hole" continues to dribble water onto the toilet area when showering. The outside shower faucet is the same unit and its blow hole does the same thing.
Is there some water pressure issue? I think I have the system in summer mode.

While on the topic of water pressure, the kitchen sink pressure is low on cold and ok on hot. Air pocket?

Thank you

Eric
Is the "Blow Hole in full cry" only when not connected to an outside water supply?

Or at all times?

If so, do you have a Water Pressure Regulator attached?
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:46 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Air pocket.

My 2005 has a small leak in the steel faucet only fully opened.

Have you inspected for any past water damage in the cabinets?
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 07-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #4
Platinum Member

We dont hook up to water at a campground, I fill manually.
Hooked up once to city water with a regulated hose and lever in the inline, open position and water shot out of the front tank fill hole. We dont attempt that anymore.

Leaks: occasional leaks from toilet valve. I will check for other leaks if the blow hole situation suggests leaks elsewhere.
The shower faucet blow hole releases quite a bit of water during an inside shower. I worry about the toilet cabinetry.
Really thankful for the recessed, swimming pool floor in this vehicle what with the toilet and the melting bags of ice in the fridge (shouldnt we just call it a cooler?). The floor drain screen is just about useless: if its screwed in at all it stops the drain.
Im beginning to realize one needs to be a brand apologist like British car owners: "thats just what they do, its character!"
Old 07-29-2020, 03:38 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
We dont hook up to water at a campground, I fill manually.
Hooked up once to city water with a regulated hose and lever in the inline, open position and water shot out of the front tank fill hole. We dont attempt that anymore.

Leaks: occasional leaks from toilet valve. I will check for other leaks if the blow hole situation suggests leaks elsewhere.
The shower faucet blow hole releases quite a bit of water during an inside shower. I worry about the toilet cabinetry.
Really thankful for the recessed, swimming pool floor in this vehicle what with the toilet and the melting bags of ice in the fridge (shouldnt we just call it a cooler?). The floor drain screen is just about useless: if its screwed in at all it stops the drain.
Im beginning to realize one needs to be a brand apologist like British car owners: "thats just what they do, its character!"
1. Get in the unit into a RV Guy you trust BEFORE your trip.

Pressure test & check everything.

Already you have no more of the fuzzy warm glaze of romantic expectations between being the Buyer versus the realities of being a Owner.

Something is wrong & it might simply be clogged plumbing, build up, etc but your unit should be able handle the water pressure anywhere & everywhere before you leave the driveway on this adventure.

A Water problem in a residential home doesn't give you the insight experienced owners like I have of the same consequences of a Van going 65mph.

Do I need to repeat the above, from 9 years of ownership in a 2005 190 Versatile?

2. The leak, the occasional drip of a bad valve, connected to one of those damn toilets I have been urging you to reconsider as I did recently is another reason why you need to jettison that concept & definitely not buy another.

I have a valve assembly, they always fail until you get to the point of no more pex pipe to connect to.

And all that time the water creates mould & becomes "one more of those smells" you live with.

I admire your desire to gallantly go forth on this formidable road trip but water has a way of causing a lot of unseen damage between cabimet walls, the flooring, etc & that begins the mould issue, for some people, before Covid, was a serious health risk.

Put another way; traveling cross-country, in a Class B, with water issues, in constantly varying temperature & humidity is not unlike traveling & sleeping in a test tube, with a formidable enemy.

Even though it's Summer,, I am not being dramatic.

You are right to be concerned about the shower & also the roof & side panels of a used unit.

If you dont get the Plumbing checked out, pack Flippers, Swim Goggles & Snorkels.

Plan & expect that when you reach a point that is farthest from your Home or Destination & the only dealer in the country with what will be consider emergency repair parts & somewhere between its too dark to work & too dark to see, your plumbing will go Dead Horse on you.

3. If the term Magic Box that you chose doesn't describe your truck but the pos 3 way fridge you have installed, consider a post retirement career as a Marketing Genius at Dometic.

Towards the end, the bloody thing I lived with acted more like a Toaster.

When you can, if you have a need for on board refrigeration because you are going to use the unit to regularly travel, & you are hgoing to boondock & NOT use Parks & ShorevPower, get some Solar & a DC Compressor fridge, the Novakool R3800 will slide right in.

4. I once had a Jaguar for a brief 48 hour period of time, owned an MG for many years & being in NZ for the first 23 years was kidnapped by Lucas Technology.

Its a wonder the English made cars & planes for so long as they did, I think you might really enjoy this amazing clip, I will submit next, watch it until the very end.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:39 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Reality ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190107_084344_resized.jpg (187.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-29-2020, 03:41 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Not just for Eric, Booster & other Engineering Types might find it fascinating!

https://para-rigger.posthaven.com/to...ries-1950-2019
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 07-29-2020, 04:36 PM   #8
Platinum Member

threads wrapped with teflon tape?

plastic knurl worn?

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:39 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I think that I applied the threadtape just as sop.

I have never ever used that shower.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:08 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Default solved

Im sure everyone is dying to know how I fixed this problem.

Once the shower hose is unscrewed, the faucet spout has a white plastic restrictor plate (NASCAR fans?) and black rubber disc inside. The disc is cut to fit in its cut-out spot and the restrictor plate needs to go in beak first with its hole towards the rear. I had to take this apart several times to please the RT gods and the faucet eventually stopped spitting water out of the blow hole.

Moving down the list until our coast to coast trip.
Crossed off the list thus far:
-synthetic oil change for coast to coast duty
-inspected a rear axle seal leak. Minor now, will recheck later.
-removed non-working onan generator
-installed 40 lbs magnetic closet latches for WC and wardrobe
-hid extra key under truck. Oh josh, where did I put it?

Eric
Old 08-03-2020, 03:01 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:

Moving down the list until our coast to coast trip.
Crossed off the list thus far:
-synthetic oil change for coast to coast duty
-inspected a rear axle seal leak. Minor now, will recheck later.
-removed non-working onan generator
-installed 40 lbs magnetic closet latches for WC and wardrobe
-hid extra key under truck. Oh josh, where did I put it?

Eric
Make sure you inspect and grease the front end. Check for idler arm and pitman arm wear, which are common wear items if not maintained.

Also suggest changing all fluids.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:37 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Did you fix the leaky water valve at the back of the toilet?
Old 08-07-2020, 06:28 PM   #13
Platinum Member

It's supposed to do this. I simply wrap a cloth after showering around the hole and remove it about an hour later. It's a safety for clean water in the shower hose. Mine actually has a label, and I didn't see it until removing the fixture for inspection
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote