Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2020, 09:22 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Side camera installation???

Has anyone installed side cameras as part of the back up camera system? Had much did you have to tear apart on the inside to install them??
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:40 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I installed 2 side cameras and a rear camera with a separate screen on the left of the dash on my Sportsmobile Sprinter. This allows me to use this separate from the normal Sprinter center screen. This works well for me. I can glance at it when changing lanes. It is probably most useful when backing up such as into campsites, etc.. It works great at night. I did this aftermarket and it cost me between $500-800 as I recall. I would do it again.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:04 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Our DIY system from 5 years ago is described here. Two side cameras, a rear camera, and a huge monitor in lieu of rear view mirror. My husband wired it such that the view switches automatically to left or right when the turn signal is actuated.

We really want to upgrade this system to include a DVR and better cameras for security, but a vehicle-ready solution is not yet on the market, and it's too far down my priority list to design and source fully right now.

This is a cell phone video of the monitor - video of a video - so the quality is not great. The side camera itself is quite good, however.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:39 PM   #4
Platinum Member

After two years of not having a backup camera, I installed one. So far I haven’t had the need to use it. JMO but I think some people go too far with gadgets
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:28 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I took the easy way out, and installed a camera on the bottom of my passenger side mirror. There should be a picture attached. Got a video switcher on Amazon. I mostly use the camera when backing into a campsite or to keep an eye on the fiberglass skirt while parking next to a curb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D50E9EF0-4D6D-4AFD-870F-18569B95DC96.jpg (125.4 KB, 17 views)
rauscs is offline   Reply With Quote