Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2019, 02:39 AM   #1

Default Simple rv for 4 or more

Hi.

We don't have a car anymore and have started camping in a tent. (Car sharing no hitch possible). But the packing and unpacking is driving us mad especially for a quick one night camping. So we want to get class b but we want it simple. I realized with a tent trailer we don't care for anything except storage and beds. Sometimes a table and sometimes a place to sit and play games. But not essential. Thats it. So ideally sleeps 4 minimum and some storage to place sleeping bags, a foldable table, a stove top and our backpacks and cooler. I dont care for counter, sink, range, propane or electrical, toilets or showers. Actually i dont want them!!! We have a sink and counter and never ever use it we never use electric either. We also are safety freaks so we want the seat belts and car seats to fit. We are a family of 5, 3 adults and a 3yo and 8 yo still in car seats. Here in Quebec car seats are obligatory till age 9.

I searched here and found a post where someone suggests the sportsmobile. I figure just the dinette that converts to bed, the roof top and maybe 2 bunks but all placed far back so as to keep 3 captain chairs in 2nd row from manufactory. But its only usa available. Unless I buy in Canada a transit and make the conversion there.
Nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:48 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum Nikki!

You might be looking for a unicorn in a class b. Maybe a small class c will do the job with a bunk above the cab and a dinette that converts to a small bed.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:16 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Hmm. The tofino looks interesting but I think there are only 2 belts in the rear.

https://pleasureway.com/models/tofino/#floor-plan
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:34 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Default 2nd thoughts

You say that you want a B but don't appear to want many of the things that it offers (sink with H/C water, electric, toilet, etc.). For years my wife and I camped with a SUV fitted with a Coleman mattress. It was a 4" air mattress that fit the contours of our SUV perfectly with the rear seats folded down. We did Chaco Canyon in New Mexico with it. We had our Coleman stove for cooking and carried a cooler AND we brought along a tent for changing clothes and to keep the various items in when we had the SUV set up for sleeping.

It seems to me that a similar setup could carry all 5 of you and your 3 kids could sleep in the tent. You could carry many items in the rear of the SUV or on a roof rack. The obvious bonus is that you'd have an everyday vehicle when not camping. Pretty soon the kids will be grown up and not with you. Sad but it's a reality.

Ronbowie's suggestion is a good one, though. I have relatives that have a small C that can carry multiple passengers and sleep them. Can't remember the exact brand/model. But it's very classy. I think it sleeps 6. Two in the back, two above the cab, and two on the convertible dinette. It, though, has many of the things you describe as not wanting.

Another alternative: rent. We did that also with our kids and it was fun.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:46 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Chaco

Not to get too far off topic. Getting into Chaco is via a long washboard road. Slow going. When you get to the campground it's quite nice. Flush toilets with cold running water in the wash basins plus electical (in the bathrooms). No hookups. But I was surprised at the flush toilets.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:36 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Default Safari-Condo

How about Safari Condo - https://safaricondo.com/en/motorises...avana-l20-lsx/
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (1.13 MB, 23 views)
File Type: png degheryh.png (954.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: png dherh.png (82.8 KB, 10 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:52 AM   #7

Hi.
We thought of a class b for the compartments. That's it. If a van can do this I'm all in lol. That's why the sports mobile looked interesting because it insulates the car, makes it really ready for camping use but you choose what you want. In our case it would probably be just the dinette, a compartment, 2 bunks and pop up roof. That's it. ....
Nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:20 PM   #8
Platinum Member

With such a simple conversion I would suggest to:

- Get Sportsmobile pop top with sleeping for 2.
- Research availability of TÜV approved “rock & roll” sofa bed. I think someone imports Scopema to NA but am no sure. Perhaps Sportsmobile has these types of seats. This could give you additional 3 seats with shoulder safety belts and additional 2-3 sleeping places

This link is for rock & roll images - https://www.google.com/search?safe=a...w=1920&bih=888

Scopema - https://www.scopema.com/langGB/about.php

Asimba2 converted his sprinter using imported RIB European seat. To see pictures, you will be required to sign in. TÜV attested seats add to safety margins. Note how beefy are Asimba’s floor mounts. https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...7&postcount=20
Old 08-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Welcome to the forum Nikki!

You might be looking for a unicorn in a class b. Maybe a small class c will do the job with a bunk above the cab and a dinette that converts to a small bed.
A small Class C? Who makes a small Class C in what Nikki describes as minimal or akin to a steel tent of storage, beds and small table?

It most likely has to be a custom conversion with those specifics and not a mass produced product that mostly tries to cram a Swiss army knife of features in a van. There are many instances of sleeping four in a van and with those minimal requirements it would be easy.

If in Canada, that's outside my expertise as to where to go but there are more and more companies making vans to fit customer desires and not dealers.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:37 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
A small Class C? Who makes a small Class C in what Nikki describes as minimal or akin to a steel tent of storage, beds and small table?

It most likely has to be a custom conversion with those specifics and not a mass produced product that mostly tries to cram a Swiss army knife of features in a van. There are many instances of sleeping four in a van and with those minimal requirements it would be easy.

If in Canada, that's outside my expertise as to where to go but there are more and more companies making vans to fit customer desires and not dealers.
OP said he wanted to "sleep 4 minimum" and he stated they are a family of 5. That was the overriding criteria for my class c recommendation.

GeorgeRa's Safari Condo recommendation is probably closest solution. I was not aware of that model.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:49 PM   #11
Platinum Member

My 15' VW Westfalias had seating for 4-6 and sleeping for 4-5. Since, at triple decks burgers camper vans grew.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:22 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
OP said he wanted to "sleep 4 minimum" and he stated they are a family of 5. That was the overriding criteria for my class c recommendation.

GeorgeRa's Safari Condo recommendation is probably closest solution. I was not aware of that model.
I can design a Class B van that sleeps 5 easily with Nikki's criteria. My DIY first van in 1970 before I knew what a Class B or RV was, is close to the criteria. It was a steel tent with built from stripped out Chevy passenger van with an upright 12V cooler and slept a family of 5 though all our kids then were pre-schoolers. It got us from Newport, RI to Minnesota and after that some state parks and a private lake before I sold it.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:56 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Which proves anything is possible with enough compromises. Which is the definition of class b living.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:57 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
My 15' VW Westfalias had seating for 4-6 and sleeping for 4-5. Since, at triple decks burgers camper vans grew.
Mmmmm. Triple deck burgers.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:34 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Transit van with appropriate factory seating with room in back for the rest. Add the rest yourself. No sense paying an upfitter through zone nose for the simplicity you are seeking.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:23 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Mmmmm. Triple deck burgers.
One deck in the seventies, 2 in the nineties, 3 in the 21st Century, are 4 deckers coming.
Attached Images
File Type: png eryrey.png (383.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-07-2019, 03:59 PM   #17
Bronze Member

How about a hightop van with enough seats for the family and then build bunk beds? This would be way cheaper than buying a B or having sportsmobile build you a custom rig.

Get one of those air mattresses designed for the rear seat for the little one.
skiMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:22 PM   #18
Platinum Member

If it were me, I’d buy a minivan and a small tent trailer or Boler/Trillium type molded trailer to pull behind. Half the cost of a late model B, perhaps a third the cost of a new custom build, and up-to-date safety features for all rows- things like rear side and curtain airbags lacking in many B’s built from cargo vans.

Not sure I fully understand the rationale for a B in this situation. Storage, maybe- only one parking spot?
Old 08-07-2019, 08:22 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
If it were me, I’d buy a minivan and a small tent trailer or Boler/Trillium type molded trailer to pull behind. Half the cost of a late model B, perhaps a third the cost of a new custom build, and up-to-date safety features for all rows- things like rear side and curtain airbags lacking in many B’s built from cargo vans.

Not sure I fully understand the rationale for a B in this situation. Storage, maybe- only one parking spot?
Agree, small trailer prices start from $15K.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:26 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Agree, small trailer prices start from $15K.
Or used for under $10K. One of the advantages of a towable is you can have the latest safety features in your tow vehicle without having to upgrade the camper part at the same time. And since the OP wants a very simple camper...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote