Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2021, 05:53 PM   #1

Default single burner stove for on-board quick connect propane

Hello group! Glad to be here. We have a 2012 Airstream Avenue and I'm looking for recommendations for a single burner camping stove that I can quick connect to my on board propane tank. I'm looking at single burners, because of portability. We all know how much storage space a class B has!

Hope to hear from you!

Elmer
4E fam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:11 PM   #2
Platinum Member

We have this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You could need adapter for small LPG bottle.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:35 PM   #3

That's great! Thank you. So with the included tubing, it will connect directly to the low pressure propane from the RV? Or do I need to remove the regulator from the stove?
Old 04-19-2021, 06:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
We have this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You could need adapter for small LPG bottle.

That's great! Thank you. So with the included tubing, it will connect directly to the low pressure propane from the RV? Or do I need to remove the regulator from the stove?
Old 04-19-2021, 07:23 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I believe the regulator is in the stove as it accepts butane directly or LPG from a small bottle via included hose. In mine I can see device which looks like pressure regulator.

For more money Iwatani is top of the line but it doesn't include small LPG bottle hose. https://www.amazon.com/Iwatani-Corpo...8860069&sr=8-8
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I believe the regulator is in the stove as it accepts butane directly or LPG from a small bottle via included hose. In mine I can see device which looks like pressure regulator.

For more money Iwatani is top of the line but it doesn't include small LPG bottle hose. https://www.amazon.com/Iwatani-Corpo...8860069&sr=8-8
We also have a butane bottle burner which works great, but I hate having to rely on packing butane bottles when I have a huge propane tank I can use. Thanks for your input!
Old 04-20-2021, 06:03 PM   #7
Platinum Member

We use the smallest Magma grill as a stovetop with a cast-iron pan, as a grill, and as an oven (we have baked bread in it) - it works for all three purposes. And it disassembles to take up very little space while stored.

Elaborate pic below... I had time on my hands to fool with labeling, given that we were in two weeks of off-grid quarantine.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
We use the smallest Magma grill as a stovetop with a cast-iron pan, as a grill, and as an oven (we have baked bread in it) - it works for all three purposes. And it disassembles to take up very little space while stored.

Elaborate pic below... I had time on my hands to fool with labeling, given that we were in two weeks of off-grid quarantine.

hahaha awesome pic! hope you guys are doing well and healthy. i wonder if that grill has a regulator built into it? my airstream avenue van has the typical rv low pressure propane system and won't work with small camping stoves that have a built in regulator.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:25 AM   #9
Platinum Member

I'm curious how you intend to connect such a stove to your van's propane tank. Will use be inside or outside? If outside, have you looked at an "extend-a-stay" setup that connects to the tank? I believe such a rig will provide sufficient pressure to operate a gas stove.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post
I'm curious how you intend to connect such a stove to your van's propane tank. Will use be inside or outside? If outside, have you looked at an "extend-a-stay" setup that connects to the tank? I believe such a rig will provide sufficient pressure to operate a gas stove.
my onboard propane tank in the van has another port, equipped with a quick connect, specifically for outdoor grill/stove use.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:44 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4E fam View Post
my onboard propane tank in the van has another port, equipped with a quick connect, specifically for outdoor grill/stove use.
But that port is probably downstream from the RV's pressure regulator and is now low pressure. If you attach a grill with its own regulator, like the vast majority are built, you will not have enough flame to cook with. You need to remove the regulator on the grill, sometimes easy, sometimes hard, or buy a grill specifically meant to attach to the quick disconnect.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
But that port is probably downstream from the RV's pressure regulator and is now low pressure. If you attach a grill with its own regulator, like the vast majority are built, you will not have enough flame to cook with. You need to remove the regulator on the grill, sometimes easy, sometimes hard, or buy a grill specifically meant to attach to the quick disconnect.
Exactly! I haven't found a small, portable one yet that can do that, and ideally I don't want to change the manufacture specs of the grill/stove. Have you found any small, low pressure gas grills/stoves?
Old 04-21-2021, 09:52 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4E fam View Post
Exactly! I haven't found a small, portable one yet that can do that, and ideally I don't want to change the manufacture specs of the grill/stove. Have you found any small, low pressure gas grills/stoves?
I found a couple once. I don't remember the make of one but the other was a
Camp Chef. Personally, if I use a propane grill I don't want to be tethered to the RV so I prefer the small cylinders so I can set up anywhere. I refill them so it's economical and not horribly wasteful using them.

Many folks use the Weber Q grills and there's lots of articles and videos on how to make them useable with your onboard propane tank.

But most of the time I use an old Coleman white gas stove. I just enjoy the ritual. Same with my lanterns.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 04-22-2021, 03:25 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post
I'm curious how you intend to connect such a stove to your van's propane tank. ....
The one-pound propane bottles like I show in my labeled pic are approx. $3.00 apiece, and they last for a number of hours. I used less than 2 bottles while we were in quarantine, and we were grilling, baking, and frying frequently.

I don't want to mess with onboard propane connection when so little propane is needed. To me, that's overkill. Just toss a few one-pounders into your kit and you are done with it.

Additionally, I don't want a freakin' propane line strung across my camp site. We put the Magma on our picnic table, which was enclosed by our Clam Venture screened room. I don't want a line strung all that distance. I don't want to carry an extra line that is as long as would be needed when it's unnecessary.

Some people want to grill right next to their rigs, and in fact, some have mounts on the sides of their vans. I don't like that option because the grease and odors tend to penetrate the van when the stove or grill is too close. Plus then I'm restricted to remaining under the awning when in fact I'd like a full table and a screened enclosure where possible.

Six bucks and two small bottles was all I needed for 5 weeks off-grid in 2020.
Now, if someone has a bigger BBQ and is cooking outdoors for a crowd, that equation might figure differently. But the small-scale scenario is a no-brainer to me.

And, incidentally in reply to the other poster, the Magma regulator is the blue thing you see in the photo. It regulates the flow coming out of the little Coleman bottle.

EDIT: Additionally, if someone believes they need more than a couple of one-pounders, there are refillable tanks in the 4 to 5 pound range that are available; the one I show below is a 4.5-pound Worthington. This is another option for more abundant supply without needing to be tied to the side of the camper van. What if you wanted to take your grill or stove burner and cook at the water's edge, for instance? This is another way to accomplish that.

I'm frying bacon here, just to show that this thing can be used as a single-burner stove alternative:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:32 PM   #15
otr
Gold Member

We have an older RT which does not have a hook up, but we use this Coleman, much hotter than the built in, and have a 1 gallon propane tank with a bernz-o-matic typefitting on one end and a tank fitting on the other so we connect the stove right up to a small tank, or you could use a barbecue size tank (or the 1 lb) disposable tanks if you want

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-PowerPack-Propane-Single-Burner/dp/B0009PUS6M/ref=asc_df_B0009PUS6M/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167119746601&hvpos=&hvnetw= g&hvrand=4412680190842212624&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt =&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9057239&hvt argid=pla-273400956902&psc=1
otr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:01 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Wife is a chef

we carry a single burner "cassette feu " which uses butane cans.

cost about $15

super portable we use it on the picnic table outside

the case is about 10 x 10 x 5"

you see these at omelet stations and any kind of catering situation

butane easy to find and last a while

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 12:10 AM   #17

Thanks for the advice everyone! I found this on amazon and it accepts my 18 ft long quick release hose that I can connect to the outside of my RV's low pressure propane system. It's quite small and portable and looks to be the same size as a single burner butane stove. Perfect for all that extra cargo space in a Class B. Lol Thanks again everyone!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-26-2021, 11:43 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Good job! That should work well for you.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g