Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2021, 03:28 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Sitting around the Campfire

After a few trips this season, I thought I'd mention one of my favorite camping items.

I posted this info in a thread on the Promaster Forum, and many were interested, with lots of discussion!. Some purchased using the referral code I provided (below). See disclaimer below...

A few years ago, I bought a SoloStove "Campfire." It's had lots of use. It's made of stainless steel, has a lifetime warranty, free shipping, and actually does what it's are advertised to do - provide smokeless campfires. After many campground fire-ring fires, I decided to get the Campfire.

Here's a picture of my setup:

It's small, about the size of a paint can. So, it fits nicely in a Class B campervan! I'm amazed at the great fires we've had, and they create a secondary burn that eliminates the smoke. At the end of the burn, all that's left is a bit of fine ash. I have lots of woodworking scraps and they usually make for a great fire. I made a stand, but it works well on the ground, on a rock, or even on a wood picnic table. The base gets warm, but it hasn't left a burn mark, even on wood! It's designed for cooking, and the ring that holds the pot is removable (pop some spot welds) for the "fire pit look" I have.

Right now the Campfire is on sale (reg $149) for about $105, and if you use my referral code (below) to get an additional $15 off... so it's about $90.

Full disclaimer: I get points for future purchases if you use the referral code. I do not work for (or hold shares in the company (which just went public a few days ago!)) at home, I also use the Bonfire model, so the points have helped me get a set of tools and some hotdog/marshmallow roasting sticks!

https://www.solostove.com/?smile_ref...m=referral_url

Worst case, if you don't like it, they provide free shipping back and your money back if you return it within 30 days.
Old 10-31-2021, 05:54 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Thanks! Used the code to buy a Bonfire firepit with stand. Been wanting one for a while, and this got me to click the buy button...
Old 11-01-2021, 05:01 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Bill,

I'm guessing you're going to use the Bonfire at home... it's kind of BIG for van camping!

I'll bet you're gonna like it! If you're on Facebook, there's lots of good info in the Solo Stove Owners Group

Enjoy!
Old 11-02-2021, 01:37 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proeddie View Post
Bill,

I'm guessing you're going to use the Bonfire at home... it's kind of BIG for van camping!

I'll bet you're gonna like it! If you're on Facebook, there's lots of good info in the Solo Stove Owners Group

Enjoy!
Yes, it is for home use, not to take in the van. Thanks!
Old 11-03-2021, 09:07 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Love our Bonfire

We have a Solo Bonfire and do bring it in the van. It fits in the footwell of the shower. I really like how smoke-free it burns and how completely it burns the wood.

Occasionally I've neglected to bring it, because it is a little heavy, and I usually regret having to use the campground fire pit or ring.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:55 PM   #6
Platinum Member

This H Bee Fire collapsable fire pit takes little space - but very expensive $$.

https://www.hbeefire.com/
Old 11-04-2021, 01:31 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Out West, you're better off buying a propane appliance like Camco's Little Red Campfire. More and more forests don't allow real campfires because of forest fire danger but make exceptions for propane ones.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 02:00 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I went to the Solo website and now I am having another smokeless campfire manufacturer following me around on the Internet. Breeo at breeo.co

The Campfire model looks interesting. I can actually carry the 15” diameter Ranger in my van easily and that’s kind of a hybrid between the Campfire and the Bonfire.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:41 PM   #9
Bronze Member

rvsprinterguy,

The best I could fit in my DIY campervan is a 15" diameter Ranger. I store the Campfire inside the Ranger. We use the Ranger if we're with some friends, but usually the Campfire is the one I grab for a quick fire.

For us, it's Ranger 25% / Campfire 75%

Campfire at night... 85% of the time!

Boxster,

Nice, but the Solo stuff wins in the "Smokeless" category!
Old 11-04-2021, 06:08 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Davy,

If you don't have one yet, here's some of my thinking:

Ranger = good for 4 or more, (2's often turn into 6's and 8's around the campfire)... uses 12" wood, so you may have to cut CG bought wood. Burns out and cools a few hours after the last log... possible security issues, but we've had none.

Campfire = good for 2 or 4... uses smaller 6" wood... I usually bring packets of wood for the Campfire, stored in the van's nooks and crannies. Burns out and cools in about a half hour hours after the last log, so I go out and bring it in before bedtime.

Can't go wrong with either model! Free returns! (looks like my referral code is still OK for $15 off)
Old 11-04-2021, 06:12 PM   #11
Bronze Member

eric,

I thought about a propane version... In my DIY campervan I don't have a 20lb bottle and it doesn't last very long on a 1 pounder!

Seen a few at CG's... I think I'd miss the snap, crackle and occasional pop!

Look like a great solution for fire bans though... sometimes you just gotta have a campfire!
Old 11-05-2021, 10:07 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Stopped in for some crowlers at Unmapped Brewing, a craft beer company I have a part ownership but no active participation in and saw they added a Solo. There were no customers sitting outdoors so the cover was still on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B0A05B5C-B1A8-4860-B114-3EDB55B6C62A.jpg (483.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 11-07-2021, 07:48 PM   #13
Bronze Member

We have the Campfire model also and love it. I cut all my scrap lumper from projects into the proper size chunks when I finish and throw them into those square plastic buckets like kitty litter comes in, you can buy a stack of them for a few dollars at flea markets. I fill the stove with pre cut pieces and put it back in the bag then fill the bottom of the bucket with wood till the stove just fits so the lid can still go on then fill in around the edges with wood. Gives me enough fuel for a couple of evening fires if we don't sit out too long. If I know we are going to want more fires I throw and extra bucket of scraps in the B. If we are setup where there are little sticks and such around we will supplement.

People are always impressed by the lack of smoke.
JebTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:06 PM   #14
Silver Member

We have something similar its called the Flicker however it does not have a stand. We love it
pacificstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:16 PM   #15
Bronze Member

I think that's the ceramic-type unit that uses liquid fuel and is a bit more "subdued"?
Old 11-11-2021, 09:05 PM   #16
Silver Member

Our Flicker uses Rubbing Alcohol
pacificstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 02:07 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebTN View Post
We have the Campfire model also and love it. I cut all my scrap lumper from projects into the proper size chunks when I finish and throw them into those square plastic buckets like kitty litter comes in, you can buy a stack of them for a few dollars at flea markets. I fill the stove with pre cut pieces and put it back in the bag then fill the bottom of the bucket with wood till the stove just fits so the lid can still go on then fill in around the edges with wood. Gives me enough fuel for a couple of evening fires if we don't sit out too long. If I know we are going to want more fires I throw and extra bucket of scraps in the B. If we are setup where there are little sticks and such around we will supplement.

People are always impressed by the lack of smoke.
I have a woods behind our house full of buckthorn tree bushes which is similar to choke cherry. I have already picked up downed branches of about 1 inch in diameter, cut them in 6 inch lengths and split them for my portable Bertello pizza oven. They could be an unlimited supply for the Campfire as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8C95630E-1123-4DFF-9DAA-296E0D5E5C6F.jpg (629.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 11-13-2021, 10:08 PM   #18
Bronze Member

Cut to 6" lengths, they would be perfect!

And at 12" lengths, they would be a great fit for the Ranger...

If I had to choose just one for the campervan, I'd probably go for the Campfire, but if there's room, a Ranger makes an impressive firepit-on-the-road.

I gave up! We carry the Ranger, and store the Campfire inside it, along with bundles of wood!
Old 11-13-2021, 10:25 PM   #19
Bronze Member

Default Just noticed!

They've dropped the price on the Ranger to just $180 for an "Early Black Friday" deal.

That, minus my $15 referral code (see first post) gets you to $165... that's a great price!

I heard that they offered good pre-holiday deals other years, so I guess this is the time to get one if you want it...

I will reiterate, Full disclaimer: I get points for future purchases if you use the referral code. I do not work for (or hold shares in the company). A few here have purchased (Thanks!), so I added a cover for my Ranger.

Tags
campfire, fire pit