Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2022, 11:41 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Skirting

Looking for ideas on how to construct skirting for my 2001 Roadtrek 190. Not ready to spend $2,000 on the inflatable skirting kits.
joeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 08:21 PM   #2

Hello Joeski,

What I did was cut some tarp(used black) but pick what you like. After measuring it properly, stitched it together with nylon fishing line. Taped over the stitching. Hung it around the perimeter of the RV with earth magnets I got from Lee Valley. These are super strong when you put a washer behind them. Then asked the irrigation guy for any spare conduit and connectors and ran a rectangular footing around the perimeter right below the hanging tarp. Rolled the bottom around the conduit tubing and fastened it with two inch pieces of conduit with a slit cut lengthwise which hold real good. Placed them about every four feet, or so. And you are done. Had mine hanging now for 11 years. Good luck.
Burtwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 07:05 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtwood View Post
Hello Joeski,

What I did was cut some tarp(used black) but pick what you like. After measuring it properly, stitched it together with nylon fishing line. Taped over the stitching. Hung it around the perimeter of the RV with earth magnets I got from Lee Valley. These are super strong when you put a washer behind them. Then asked the irrigation guy for any spare conduit and connectors and ran a rectangular footing around the perimeter right below the hanging tarp. Rolled the bottom around the conduit tubing and fastened it with two inch pieces of conduit with a slit cut lengthwise which hold real good. Placed them about every four feet, or so. And you are done. Had mine hanging now for 11 years. Good luck.
Can you provide some pictures please.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 11:08 PM   #4

Default Skirting

Here are some recent pics.
Old 10-30-2022, 04:08 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Sounds like you have a great setup. I am trying to visualize how you attached the bottom of the tarp to the conduit square base. Did you roll the tarp around the base and use slit 2” conduit over the roll to clamp it in place? Also what was the spacing of the magnets holding the top of the tarp to vehicle?

Don’t need to do currently, but it is one of those hacks that I might want some day.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 04:26 PM   #6

Default Skirting

The conduit or tubing is round and just cut pieces and then cut them lengthwise for an easy clamp over the top of the rolled up tarp over tubing. They will squeeze the tubing and tarp. If they pop off try another one. I just painted or taped the clamps black to blend in with the skirting.

Every set up is different. Wherever there is a convenient place where solid steel is under your rig is the best area to hang your tarp with a magnet or two, generally every two feet.

I think skirting is a good idea. First, it makes your site look organized. If your RV is going to remain in situ a long time any heat is trapped under your rig. Holding tanks are now somewhat insulated from the cold. Critters are discouraged from going underneath. Wind now is buffered. You just created a new enclosed storage area.
Old 10-31-2022, 08:53 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Is this what you are looking for? I hope this link works.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2111112l%22%7D
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote