Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2018, 01:56 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Sleeping in the RV and some TIPS? & your C-PAP

We all have some likes and dislikes about sleeping away from HOME. More about getting a good sleep in your new RV. Have you given thought to use Sleeping BAGS, over sheets and Blankets?

Having a good nights sleep is important to all of us. My C-PAP has truly changed my life, in a good way. C-PAP for me started in 2005-Katrina on a 30-day detail away from home. I was told I had a sleeping problem by some friends, as I was keeping them awake. What I stated NO WAY. Back then I thought I only needed 4-hours and was good to go. I was so wrong and now 8-hours is a good nights sleep. I take my C-PAP everywhere when I sleep even the RV and NO I'm not overweight.

So my QUESTION to all of you did you know Coachmen Class B Galleria is setup for C-PAP users. What about your Class B's?

Do you or have you used Sleeping Bags in the RV?

Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:33 AM   #2
Platinum Member

No CPAP, but I use sleeping bags when camping in the cold.

If the interior is:
  • Above 50f - sheets with the feet stitched together so they don't have to be tucked in, regular fleece or wool blankets.
  • 50F - a lightweight bag folded open and used as a blanket.
  • 30F - long johns, wool socks and a down mummy bag opened up and used as a blanket & around the back of my head.
  • 0F - double long johns, double wool socks two down bags, one zipped and one as a blanket.

I have a 12v heated mattress pad, only used it once. It's really warm.

I like keeping it above freezing inside. Much nicer for sleeping.
@Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:50 AM   #3
Gold Member

I have a 12v plug beside the bed and a bracket above that holds my travel CPAP. It's designed to run on 12v or 120v. I have a memory foam pad, misc sheets, a number of pillows, and a couple Indian blankets. If I need more than that and a warm base layer of clothes, it's too cold for me. I insulated the windows and keep the gas furnace and my little 250w heater ready to go...
bigfelipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:01 AM   #4
Bronze Member

I use a CPAP too, and have for over 15 years, and I am not (too) overweight either. We have a 2002 Roadtrek 190 V. There is an AC outlet up near the roof on the drivers side over the bed, where the TV antenna and cable connections are. I sleep on that side and use the normal line-cord for the CPAP power supply. I have a Resonetics S9 and it works great in the RV. Our model has the one bed in the rear where you are supposed to sleep side-ways.
We use sleeping bags or separate blankets depending upon how cold it gets.

We find it too much of an inconvenience to have to crawl over one another so we have an ottoman that fits in the hallway at the end of the bed. That way we can sleep length-ways and can get out a lot easier. I would prefer the twin beds as in the Popular model, but we have the Versatile, so thats what we do.

We can move the ottoman to fit between the front seats when we need to, but even when it is in place it does not really block much of the access to the cabinet doors as it is 6 inches narrower that the full width of the hallway. It has a hinged lid with plenty of storage inside and that is a big plus.
richpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:21 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Sleeping bags or other sleep sacks are very commonly used in class B's and by lots of us on the forum, including us. We have had Travasaks since we got the Roadtrek a decade ago, with no complaints at all. With a marine latex mattress on a full time bed, we sleep as well as we do at home.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:17 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Sleeping bags for us too. Easy to stow (take up some space, though) and we travel in cooler weather or use hook-ups and a/c on hot nights. High 60's inside temps are great with a light sleeping bag.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #7
Platinum Member

IMHO, sleeping bags are for tents, but the technology is transferable. I made a quilt with Climashield. Regular sheets, etc., on full-time bed.

We sleep as well as at home because we are at home. We probably spend twice as many nights in the van as in the S&B.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:42 AM   #8
Platinum Member

The problem with most sleeping bags is that they are "mummy" style and ill-suited to life in a van. I solved that limitation by getting a NEMO Disco 15, which was intentionally designed as a BIG sleeping bag, very roomy and comfortable. This is perhaps the only pic I ever took with a selfie stick, just to show how wide it is (it's a men's bag and I'm a small female, so hey - even more room for me). In cold weather if I'm working on my computer, I also "wear" it like this (we boondock almost exclusively, so no hook-ups and minimal use of furnace to conserve propane):

The other product we use is Rumpl trekking blankets. We have three - two synthetic and one goose down. Because I have the expensive goose down sleeping bag, I don't need the goose down Rumpl, so my husband uses that almost exclusively.

One of the synthetic Rumpls gets wrapped around a sheet of coroplast and inserted into a slot next to our fridge. We retrofitted with a Vitrifrigo, so this storage feature was intentional:

The other two Rumpls store in a soft gear loft I designed and sewed for the cab (instructions here):

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:54 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Sleeping bags or other sleep sacks are very commonly used in class B's and by lots of us on the forum, including us. We have had Travasaks since we got the Roadtrek a decade ago, with no complaints at all. With a marine latex mattress on a full time bed, we sleep as well as we do at home.
Hi, booster. Can you say more about the marine latex mattress? Do you have a full mattress, or just a topper? Any particular brand or model?

We have a PW, with seats that fold down to make the bed. Reasonably comfortable, but we do feel the gaps. Added a layer of cheap foam, but that's just a stopgap until we find something better. Thanks.
Neals384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:22 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
Hi, booster. Can you say more about the marine latex mattress? Do you have a full mattress, or just a topper? Any particular brand or model?

We have a PW, with seats that fold down to make the bed. Reasonably comfortable, but we do feel the gaps. Added a layer of cheap foam, but that's just a stopgap until we find something better. Thanks.

We have a full mattress of solid latex foam with a thin padded cover. We had it made when I built the full time bed for our 190 Chevy Roadtrek Popular. We left a gap at the foot, just like you get with the power sofa if you don't use the filler board, as it makes getting in and out of the bed a lot easier. The foot areas on either side of the gap are in urethane foam as comfort wasn't and issue on our feet.

We got it here:

Boat Beds | Custom Boat Mattresses | Handcraft Mattress Company

They were not cheap, but did a superb job of matching the shape exactly to the paper templates I sent them, as the van body curves. There is also a place in Minnesota now that is doing custom RV mattresses. They made a latex one for our house that is also very nice, normal queen size. They are more reasonably priced.

Home | Minnesota Mattress Factory Store - Sleep Great, Live Better.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:25 AM   #11
Bronze Member

Thanks, booster!
Neals384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:58 PM   #12

1) the 110V plug in the B class pleasureway Plateau TS with 100 amph Lithium battery easily runs the CPAP all night (Phillips dream station with humidifyer) whenaway from shore power. No need to install a 12V circuit /charger etc etc
2) Living in Canada we have always used an open rectangular fibre fill sleeping bag as our blanket (our old canoeing bags have double thickness one side and triple on the other, therefore my wife, who sleeps colder is always happy. If things are getting ugly we zip both bags together like a regular double sleeping bag. It all crams into the cupboard above the bed. cheers roger
rsmitch2@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:27 AM   #13

Hi, Could you please share more info on your CPAP that uses 12V or 120V. Now we have to get a 30 amp hook up in a campground to run my CPAP and would like to boondock sometimes. Thank you, George
georgeherberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post

Yeah, I wouldn't go for a cheap foam. If you are planning to sleep rly good in RV I would invest in something that is of a quality. Not sure what brand you got but I would check out Leesa, Casper or even Purple mattress. Watch some videos and read reviews too.

Toppers are good too if you are on a budget.
jamm290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:36 AM   #15
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeherberger View Post
Hi, Could you please share more info on your CPAP that uses 12V or 120V. Now we have to get a 30 amp hook up in a campground to run my CPAP and would like to boondock sometimes. Thank you, George
I have a Resmed S9 with humidifier and heated tube at home on 120 volts and in the RV using it with a Resmed 12 volts adapter thus not using the inverter to get 120 volts

Just did a Google search asking for a Resmed S9 12 volts adapter and it comes out
https://www.amazon.com/ResMed-S9-DC-.../dp/B004UBKNSY

Try with your Cpap model name.

I figure not using the inverter for 120 volts and using the 12 volts would use less
battery as the inverter in standby consumes power.
Paul the Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:37 AM   #16

Hi there, I have not had to purchase a battery but they are available on the web for specific CPAP machines and there is a12V DC adapter for charging especially for the respironics battery. Personally our lithium battery runs the CPAP and humidifier for many nights thanks to solar roof panels when away from plug in power. The pilot light lithium CPAP battery has a car adapter. Good luck
rsmitch2@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:35 AM   #17
Gold Member

Quote:

Mine is a devilbis intellipap. It's a good bit smaller than the ResMed Airsense 10 I use at home.
bigfelipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:26 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:

I have found from measurements that a reasonable estimate to run a Cpap machine without humidifier overnight is around 10Ah@12v. This is easily within the capacity of most RV house batteries either with a 12v power cord adapter or using a small inverter with your regular power cord.

How big is your house battery and how do you charge it? I looked at 2005 Roadtrek 190 manual at it looks like original battery was 95Ah@12v. This should be adequate as long as you charge the battery most days while driving or by running the generator and you don’t have too many other electric loads running overnight.
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the Gardens View Post
I have a Resmed S9 with humidifier and heated tube at home on 120 volts and in the RV using it with a Resmed 12 volts adapter thus not using the inverter to get 120 volts

Just did a Google search asking for a Resmed S9 12 volts adapter and it comes out
https://www.amazon.com/ResMed-S9-DC-.../dp/B004UBKNSY

Try with your Cpap model name.

I figure not using the inverter for 120 volts and using the 12 volts would use less
battery as the inverter in standby consumes power.
Paul the Gardens; What model S9 ResMed do you have? There are many models of S9s to choose from.
georgeherberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:54 AM   #20
Silver Member

I have a Resmed S 9 Autoset
https://www.thecpapshop.com/resmed-s...machine-bundle
+ humifier + heated tube
Indeed there is a lot of Resmed S9 and newer S 10 to choose from, but I think they would use the same power.
Best of luck in your search, perhaps an electrically fluent person will help you to sort out your electrical connections concerns.
Paul the Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote