Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2019, 04:20 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Sliding or folding door?

I'm preparing an order for a 2020 Ford Transit that will be converted to a Class B. On the Transit, the side door on the passenger side can be either a sliding door (the default) or a pair of regular fold-open doors (like on the back, except with a 60/40 split). Does anyone have reason to suggest one over the other? I tend to lean towards the fold-open doors by gut feel, but I have no firm reasons. Also, if I went with the sliding door, is a power slider worth the cost?

Thanks in advance...
rothskeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:37 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Just my two cents worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothskeller View Post
I'm preparing an order for a 2020 Ford Transit that will be converted to a Class B. On the Transit, the side door on the passenger side can be either a sliding door (the default) or a pair of regular fold-open doors (like on the back, except with a 60/40 split). Does anyone have reason to suggest one over the other? I tend to lean towards the fold-open doors by gut feel, but I have no firm reasons. Also, if I went with the sliding door, is a power slider worth the cost?

Thanks in advance...
As for security... I would think that the sliding door is way harder to break into...plus you can open it with a vehicle parked close.....the fold open doors need clearance.

I don't think a power slider is necessary. Unless you can't manage to open the door yourself.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:50 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I have never owned a sliding door- manual or powered- that didn’t give trouble, and I’ve never owned a conventional hinged door that did. I’ve run a lot of vans in church use as well as several for personal use. I’d always choose conventional hinged doors given a choice.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:15 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothskeller View Post

Thanks in advance...
Not certain but it appears that 2020 is not the first year? If so, makes me wonder why I've only seen the B manufacturers and upfitters use the sliding door. Interesting comments so far, plus the view out the sliding door from inside might be better depending on floor plan.

Please let us know the outcome.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:24 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We have a Chevy with the traditional GM double hinged doors on the side and after looking and trying the sliders at the RV shows actually found we preferred the hinged ones. DW is small and especially from the inside had a lot of trouble reaching and sliding the door shut hard enough to latch as a lot them, at least then, were not open areas inside as far as the door opened. She had a bit less trouble from outside, but really didn't like it at all compared to the hinged versions.

I wonder how the power ones are if they break? I know with a lot of the minivans you have to take a lot of the interior out them to get to the cables and mechanisms. Folks we know were paying $1000+ per side to have cables replaced. With a B it might be blocked even worse.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:39 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Hinged side doors might give you more options as to where to place interior components that require venting, an exhaust or plumbing and electrical inlets and outlets etc. that would be otherwise blocked or perhaps damaged by a sliding door.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:18 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I would prefer that my van had hinged doors. The slider is noisy and frequently we find ourselves going in and out front doors so as not to wake up the campground.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:51 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Is the 60/40 hinged side cargo door only available on low roof Ford Transits?
Old 07-29-2019, 10:25 PM   #9
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Is the 60/40 hinged side cargo door only available on low roof Ford Transits?
In the 2020 order guide, that option (code 59A) is shown as available for any cargo van or passenger van (but not crew van).
Old 07-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Do you know (or does anyone else know) if the hinged side cargo doors will be full height of the opening for the medium and tall roof vans?
Old 07-30-2019, 03:17 PM   #11
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Do you know (or does anyone else know) if the hinged side cargo doors will be full height of the opening for the medium and tall roof vans?
I don't know, sorry. As I said, the 2020 order guide shows the hinged doors available on any cargo van, but I'm not certain that's accurate. The 2019 configurator on Ford's web site only allows them on the low roof van, and the section of the 2020 order guide that describes changes since 2019 doesn't mention any change.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:54 PM   #12
Gold Member

With the small spaces you have in a class B van storage is always a plus. With the fold open doors you can mount things on them for storage , unlike the slider. The cloth shoe pouches to hold your shoes and other things. Or make things to mount on the doors to store things. Don't want to go to deep that you can't get in and out easy. But storage space is a premium.
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:14 PM   #13

Personally if I was doing it over again, I would get the double doors. If you do decide to get a slider, I would highly recommend making it a power slider. Once you add the weight to the slider with the conversion, it makes it more difficult to close, especially if you are headed uphill.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:37 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I would definitely choose a double door vs a slider. We go in and out all the time and moving the big slider is a pain. With a double door you can use just one to go in and out. I long for he time when I can open a regular door to gain access...when we need quick access we usually use the front pass. Side door (when seats not swiveled so usually while on the road not in camp) instead of rolling back the big slider with electric step.

Also mentioned above regarding security... I think a standard door is potentially more secure as I have read of sliding doors being jimmied off the track and removed to gain access inside. However any good thief it probably won’t matter what type of door.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:22 PM   #15

While not sure, my guess would be that the double doors are the same height as the slider for whatever roof height the van is. Otherwise they would have to have two different sized openings on each roof style.

Another plus for the double slider would be that when you open one door you don't have as big an opening to let out all of your heated or cooled air inside the van like you do when you open the slider to the full width of the opening. I did fabricate a stop ramp on mine to stop the slider halfway open for just that reason.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:52 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I would go with the folding double doors. Many good reasons in other posts.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:05 PM   #17
Bronze Member

We have quad seating in our Sprinter van. Wife or I sit in that passenger side rear seat with the screen closed for reading or just relaxing. It’s like a screened in porch. Also when visiting tourist spots or catching a bite to eat and then moving on. Wouldn’t give up the large opening the slider gives but would like it to be powered for the misses.
2018 Coachmen Galleria 24Q
Kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:23 PM   #18
Bronze Member

Folding Door Store high-quality job opening up the reverse of my residence and installing the doors where we just had windows fresh tidy and fast.
Jill Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:42 PM   #19
Platinum Member

I would make the decision on door style after you determine layout. With the front seats reversed, a large slider, especially with a screen, makes a nice open lounge area. But, as others have pointed out, lots of pros and cons either way.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:05 PM   #20
Platinum Member

The biggest reason for opting for the slider is the potential interference that hinged doors pose to the outdoor space, where you may have an awning, table, chairs, etc. It would be sad to swing open your door and watch it rip your awning!
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote