Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2020, 05:08 PM   #21
Bronze Member

For those of you who are Magna Grill fans, I am looking to buy the smallest C10-601T grill for camping. It is a lot of money for a grill, so I would like to be completely satisfied, if I buy it. Does it rattle if I transport it in a van?
MotoVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:08 PM   #22

We have been using the char broil single burner. A really cheap bbq but is made of tin and doesnt hold the heat or deal with wind very well. But works well considering how inexpensive it was. We just upgraded to a weber q1200. Both fit under the couch. Both work well from the low pressure line of the van. We have a 2017 lexor.
Fisher182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupB View Post
I bought this one for its size. No regrets.

https://www.coleman.com/all-camp-kit...COL_2000020932
We have one of these. Love it. Fits in one of our kitchen drawers in our 2015 CS
K Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:47 PM   #24
Bronze Member

And does the little Coleman red grill rattle?
MotoVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:39 PM   #25
Bronze Member

Default JetBoil Basecamp 2 burner propane stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanes@frontier.net View Post
I'm looking for a small propane grill that folds up small enough to slide under the
sofa/bed of my 2019 PW Lexor. Propane canisters are OK. Does anyone have a recommendation?
We use the above. It folds in half, is very durable, has 2 burners and puts out a lot of btus. It is also expensive enough so that you will take care of it. I give it 5 stars
ableami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:50 PM   #26
Platinum Member

We use an O-Grill. It is genuinely awesome. Gets much hotter than the Coleman and only a bit larger. Downside is on high it does use more propane. Chars a steak extremely well. Cast iron grate.
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:00 PM   #27

Default Small grill

https://www.coleman.com/all-camp-kitchen/outdoor-grills/fold-n-go-propane-grill/col_2000020932_pr/COL_2000020932
Charles Neubauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:43 PM   #28
Gold Member

We love our Napoleon Travelq 2225. Compact, well built. Good quality enameled cast iron grill. And it comes with a travel bag. Bought it at Costco

https://www.napoleon.com/en/ca/barbecues/products/portable-grills/travelq-series/travelq-2225-tq2225po
Anachr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:17 PM   #29
Platinum Member

I haven't noticed any rattling with our Magma grill. I did spring for the padded carry bag, though. Another reason I like the bag is that it has a pocket to store the regulator/valve as well as several 1-lb. propane bottles.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:11 PM   #30

I've always been a camping grill guy and love to cook outdoors, but since space is tight for many grills, I bought a Blackstone 17" griddle which is pretty compact. I also made a 3 piece hood for baking that fits inside the griddle body while traveling
the5reeds842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:13 PM   #31
Platinum Member

I began testing my Magma yesterday. Part of me wanted to exchange it for the rectangular prism model, but the flying saucer takes up just a bit less space. I like the fact that the widest part of the product is the actual cooking surface.

As for being totally satisfied with a Magma product? I don't know if it's better or worse than anything else. I like the others with a circular footprint but I worry that the flame would be too close to the cooking surface. That's what kills the functionality of every ten dollar hibachi. That's what the primary internet complaint was on the Fold And Go. The Magma flying saucer is a little deeper, with a bit more flame separation.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:29 PM   #32

We kept the foam bag they were shipped in and keep them wrapped in that when we put it away. No issue with rattling.
K Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:42 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Volcano 3. Wood, charcoal or propane. Outside of the unit is cold to the touch and can be used on a table.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:01 AM   #34
Platinum Member

I used the Magma BBQ mounted on the ladder. It can be very quickly mounted with 2 deadbolt latches (https://8020.net/2107.html) It can be slide away from the ladder for grilling on the ladder. For transportation I slide it toward the ladder and cover it with the right size Magma black cover.

No smell in the van, quick do deploy for BBQ-ing, quick for removal, or to get it ready for a trip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GZR02168.jpg (404.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg GZR02212.jpg (556.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg GZR02211.jpg (443.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg GZR02210.jpg (432.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg GZR02209.jpg (390.6 KB, 6 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:37 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Default Magma devotees

Magma fans,

This is the smallest Magma I can find, 9x12 cooking surface. Someone mentioned it needed to be modified to fit in a RT 190.
Is this what yall have?

https://www.magmaproducts.com/product/c10-601t

Thanks

Eric
2014 Camry hybrid-soulless transport appliance
MagicBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:22 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBox View Post
Magma fans,

This is the smallest Magma I can find, 9x12 cooking surface. Someone mentioned it needed to be modified to fit in a RT 190.
Is this what yall have?

https://www.magmaproducts.com/product/c10-601t

Thanks

Eric

They have changed the model numbers a lot over the years, but that appears to be the same size and style.

The modification is just to not put the over on permanently. Just get some longer screws with heads big enough to grab and put them in when you use it (the threads hook the thin metal and keep them from falling out.

When you put it in the side pod, just remove the cover, slid in the grille and then slide the cover back in on top of it but without the bolt in and latch the front latch on the grille. It won't go in unless disassembled.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:33 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Magma 9” x 12” has two primary lines of product, marine and Camping with key difference to be all stainless for marine models. I have the 9" x 12" marine model. One of the RV models that size has electronic igniter and temperature gauge on the lid. Sheet metal could be beefier as well, I am not sure. https://www.magmaproducts.com/

I didn’t modify my unit, just designed and build the ladder mount.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:41 PM   #38
Platinum Member

As others have said, Magma has changed their part numbers as they've improved the product. The one in your link is exactly the same size as my "Beachfire", but has a couple of features mine doesn't: a thermometer in the lid and a piezo igniter. I added a thermometer myself (a Weber part from Amazon), and I light the grill with a gas match.

If I decided to make the lid easily removable, I'd use a couple of stainless steel clevis pins secured with hairpin clips.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:59 PM   #39
Bronze Member

The link below leads to an interesting product for those of us with extremely limited storage space. It folds up in quite a small package, but the fact that its output is a little anemic at 8,000 BTU and that it requires carrying butane cartridges will be deal breakers for some. Nonetheless I'm tempted. It might be OK for my purposes when combined with a small grill pan.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B085FQS9...v_ov_lig_dp_it
lmittell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:51 AM   #40
Platinum Member

That's an elegant product listed above, but it's a camp stove, not a grill.

For those of you with the non-round Magmas, how do they break down for cleaning?

I used mine heavily for a time as I was testing it pre-road-trip, then tried to clean it well enough for packing and transportation. It's basically an impossible task without disassembly. There is a small grease pan that is inaccessible for as long as the unit is intact.

The good news is that the Magma is very well made - it's a lifetime purchase if taken care of.

The bad news is that it is not idiot-proof. It reminds me of a pistol the way it needs to be broken down for cleaning.

The other good news is that, once it IS broken down, it can pack into a very small object for transportation.

One of my fellow Air Forumers identified a Ukrainian cast iron skillet with a removable handle that we are hoping to use to turn our Magmas into something akin to an oven, as well as using them as grills. The first one I ordered was just a hair too large and the lid would not completely close. So I returned that and am awaiting delivery of a smaller one.

Still more good news, and related to the skillet - the round Magma has a powerful hot spot in its center. This can be exploited by smaller cast iron cookware for preparing side dishes:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote